Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I wish Oklahoma would do like Missouri, and allow centerfire pistols during ML.

Start a wish thread.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
If you guys look at my first post. You'll see what I wish is already in place in my state.

We get along just fine, and kill lots of game. I guess most of the other states don't think you guys are as good hunters. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I'll be 70 next August. In the last two years, my eyesight has diminished to such an extent that even with a Ghost ring or large aperature, I cannot get the front sight into focus.It's pretty much of a big blur.I can put 1:25 reading glasses on that help some ,but that makes the target a big blurr. Going up to 1:50's and the target is a complete blur. I would need to get within 25 yards of an elk to insure a proper bullet placement wearing those type of glasses

I will be trying to get a special permit for CO CPW this year to put a scope on my ML.

My lungs are in such a bad shape that I can't effectively hunt the timber all day anymore and it's pretty much find a place I can ride close to get off and sit. I want to be sure,I can place bullet where it needs to go. If I have to use a scope to do that,I am willing to sacrifice that.

You won't see CO ,or in fact any other states restrict there methods of hunting any more than what they are at present. Having more restrictions on muzzle loaders has about as much chance of happening as there is the possibility of not permitting archers to use compound bows.

My wish is for CO CPW to reduce the archery season to a ten day hunt just like all other means of hunts. Break the season down like the rifle hunts and make the archers pick a season and require a draw for tags. Also omit the requiremnt that ML hunters were orange, or make archers wear it.If ML hunters are in danger of getting shot then archers are in the same danger with the present seasons of archery and ML going on at the same time.

Anyone should be able to hunt with thier chosen means of killing as long as it is legal.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/26/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I have the same problems. I turn 70 tomorrow. I don't have a mule anymore, so you're one step ahead of me there. I have to hunt, and haul out the meat on foot myself.

As a still hunter all my life i'm used to getting close, so a peep isn't as of a handicap as it for those who take long shots.

I agree the bow season is too long. At least don't let them hunt during muzzleloader season. That still gives them a long season.

Hunter orange I can't agree. I'd wear it even if wasn't the law. Too many wackos out their with guns.

btw If you all haven't figured it out. I was bored yesterday when I started this thread. I was curious what reaction this would get. I could care less how you hunt. I'm going to do it my way no matter how you do it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I figured as much that you were tongue in cheek and only posted my ribbing reply after JSC's inspired me but you snuck a reply in between as I was posting.

The muzzle loader season here is not at all about having a primitive season for hunters. It is again all centered around money. The state makes cash on taxes. This includes scopes, powders, pellets, saboted bullets, etc, and all other muzzle loader accessories as well. They even put the season AFTER the rifle season and rut so handicapping oneself to shorter ranges is compounding an already big enough problem. A long shot is more likely after the rut and the deer have been spooked from 4 weeks worth of "warfare" (by the sounds of it anyway crazy ) in the woods so a scope makes more sense for our ML season.

If you like to handicap yourself, or make it a challenge, this is honorable, but the need to enact a change in, or more laws, I'll pass on that vote and opt as you, to do it on a personal level, if the desire so happens to overwhelm me. But then, I'd probably get rid of the inline and pellets, and pick up a Kentucky rifle and some Goex if I felt so compelled.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I understand the money deal. Colorado tried to ban inlines for one year. They got so much pressure they gave in. I think they realized how much money they would lose. The same thing with BH 209. They tried to ban, but gave in again.

I don't expect much to change with the regular ML season here. It would be nice to also have a real primitive ML season, but I don't see that happening either, because they think the season is primitive now.

It is what it is. I'm sure longbow hunters would like a primitive season too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We no longer have a muzzleloading season in Missouri. A few of us, for our own satisfaction, still enforce one on our own property and hold to the original intent of primitive seasons. Works pretty good for me archery season too. Don't see any cam actuated arrow launching devices or in-lines on my place.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As to Hunter Orange I agree. If an archer hunts in any of the firearms seasons it should be worn at all times but I have no objection to full camo in strictly archery season although I wear or have with me something with a bit of orange in the pattern so other hunters can spot me.

Sharps,
If you have everyone on a level playing field that is fine. This would keep things more peaceful in the woods and the game would not spook as bad as we have it here.

Putting a muzzle loader season AFTER the high powered rifle season is making things more difficult for the smokepoler to get in close enough to the already spooked deer / game. If they reversed the seasons then I could see limiting it to more traditional or primitive weapons and sights.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
M99, it's just something a very few of us choose to do on our own property. Most would probably laugh at the geriatric group that does it. We continue to enjoy it, however. We'll set up a primitive camp and do the best we can to remake it the earliest 1800's of Missouri. I don't know how many more years I'm going to be willing to sleep on a bed of leaves wrapped up in wool blankets under a diamond fly....it ain't as easy as it used to be. Even when the time comes I'm just not willing to camp like that I still won't forego my flintlock. There's always smoothbores shooting PRB's for up close and personal.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I feel the muzzleloader season ought to be more like a traditional season. No inlines, or modern bullets in sabots, and scopes need to be traditional.

I suppose Pyrodex would need to be OK as there are too many places BP isn't available, or too hard or costly to get.

I just received a Lyman's Deerhunter for Christmas. Maybe not exactly traditional, but somewhat old fashioned.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I wish percussion caps were outlawed and we had to make our own powder, build our own rifle , mine and cast our own lead, or stay home.
Smooth bore matchlocks, that it! crazy

As for getting all the states to agree, We can't even get people on the fire to agree... Ah well.

P.S. Happy B-Day MauserHunter!

Last edited by colodog; 12/26/12.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
If you guys look at my first post. You'll see what I wish is already in place in my state.

We get along just fine, and kill lots of game. I guess most of the other states don't think you guys are as good hunters. smile

That, or the value liberty, free choice, or the decision of the sportsman more than you do.

Let the flames continue. ;-)

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
All I use is iron sights, round balls and real black powder. Outlaw scopes, inlines and sabots to your hearts content and it wouldn't bother me in the least. You want/need to use those crutches you've got the general firearms season to get your jollies and here the general season is before muzzleloader.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Blackheart
All I use is iron sights, round balls and real black powder. Outlaw scopes, inlines and sabots to your hearts content and it wouldn't bother me in the least. You want/need to use those crutches you've got the general firearms season to get your jollies and here the general season is before muzzleloader.

why use a gun as your crutch? Fashion your own long bow and be a real hunter. No?

I just dont get the divisive nature of complaining about who uses what. Shoot the gun/bow/speer you prefer, and leave the next guy out of it.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

why use a gun as your crutch? Fashion your own long bow and be a real hunter. No?

I have done that. And my own arrows using turkey feather for fletching. At the time flint arrowheads were unavailable and I haven't learned to knap flint, nor did I know anyone who did. That has since changed....I'd like to use them some time.

NRA Benefactor 2008

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Anytime a we as a group make a move to diminish opportunities to partake in our sport, we set hunting back. I used to fight changes that didn't fit my style of hunting or fishing. Then I read the statistics on how fast the outdoor sports are shrinking in participation.

As we move to a more urban society and each time a Psycho shoots up a Mall or a School we are loosing ground and opportunities.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Why not have both? Here in Pennsytucky, we have a modern in-line season for doe in Oct, then a primitive flintlock only season in Dec-Jan for either sex. They do allow conicals and peep sights on the flintlocks now.

I am relatively new to ML hunting, but its great. I use my flinter in both season. Usually have some good tracking snow for the late season, but the deer are spooky.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Already been there and done that too. If you'll notice I didn't say I wished they'd outlaw scopes and inlines, I said it wouldn't bother me in the least. I really don't much care what anyone else uses.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TomM1
Why not have both? Here in Pennsytucky, we have a modern in-line season for doe in Oct, then a primitive flintlock only season in Dec-Jan for either sex. They do allow conicals and peep sights on the flintlocks now.

I am relatively new to ML hunting, but its great. I use my flinter in both season. Usually have some good tracking snow for the late season, but the deer are spooky.

That's exactly what i've asked the DOW for. I'm not trying to take anything from the inline shooters. I'd like to see them have their own season. Let them even use sabots, scopes, and smokeless powder if they want. Call it Modern Muzzleloader season.

Then let us traditional types have a Primitive Muzzleloader season. Flintlocks/caplocks, PRB, and primitive sights.

Everybody is happy, and on the same page. The DOW doesn't lose any money, but will probably gain some in tag sales.

I wasn't serious with my first post, but I am with this one.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 12/27/12.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 3,143 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.