24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For me, it would really depend on the show. Any publicity is generally good but I would sure want to make sure I was associating with a positive person in the industry.

Hunting For Adventure
Tom Addleman (816) 213-6646
[email protected]
To book your next great hunting adventure - www.huntingforadventure.com
BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Absolutely no effect. The only money made from me would be incidental to the advertising done. I simply view hunting shows with gratitude for the viewing.

2 cents

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nope.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I think the best form of publicity might be to post on this site and AR. If I wanted to hunt in RSA for the first time, I would contact JJ Hack because of this site. I'm not sure what percentage of the target market reads posts but I read a lot about posters who either hunt with JJ or recommend him to others.

I don't watch any hunting shows. They don't show many of them here and the ones they do show seem to be combinations of killing tame whitetails and hillbilly music. Also with too many commercials for ticky tack stuff.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
�I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right.�

P.T. Barnum

Take it from old Phineas and go for it...just don't let it cost you too much.

Last edited by 257wby; 12/27/12.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
When deciding on an African hunt 2 years ago, I got the inclination from watching a TV show. However I didn't look up the outfitter and started to search the internet. That's how I stumbled upon you and after all my research, talking to you on the phone and references I decided to sign up. And I can't wait until the end of May.

I have started to look at a hunt in 2014 for whitetail deer. Just the other night, I saw a good show, that peaked my interest. They didn't kill a monster deer but a very nice representative of the species. I did some internet research and couldn't find that much.

I called and talked to the outfitter. Found out he's a very small operation, runs only 12 guys a year on the rifle hunts, has been hunting the ranch (he has sole hunting rights for) for over 25 years. He didn't oversell the hunt and seemed very up front on what he has to offer.

Too good to be true?? Maybe but I'll be checking some references. He says a 140"-160" is what they aim for and can usually find it. So in this instance a TV show may just get this guy a hunt from me. Still too early to tell but it's an option that needs more research.

If it's a reputable show I don't see how it could hurt. More than likely folks will see your name and then do some research on the internet. There your great reviews will sell the hunt if they are serious.

Just my 2 cents. Hope you will be at SCI in Reno.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
No bearing. I do my own research.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rarely watch any hunting shows.When I hunted Africa there really were none particularly. And actually very few video tapes,in fact the first I ever saw was at a PH firends home in Zimbabwe. My first safari of the 8 I made was selected by reading ads in a borrowed Safari Club magazine. I picked 5 ads and wrote them and then called them and finally made my selection based on trophy mix and cost. Actually picked one of Tony da Costa's package hunts for Leopard in Zimbabwe. At $5000 for 14days for a Leopard,Kudu,Impala,Duiker,Klipspringer it seemed a good deal and truley was. It hooked me for 7 more longer and longer safaris to Zimbabwe in the ensuing years.Ended up hunting all of them with the same outfitter who became a close personal friend. I came to have less and less respect for Tony as the years passed. After the first 2 all my safaris were booked directly. Should I have to selsct one today i would quite probably do it the same way. I do occaisonally watch one of the dangerous game TV shows. Some I enjoy some I don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you mean the infomercials on the sportsman's channel? Friggin bunch of product whores is all they are. I haven't seen a decent hunting show since ESPN quit playing them. Now a days if you don't have a hot piece of tail on there and like to pimp someone else's chit during the part when your supposed to be hunting it isn't a show. What happened to having a show and then having commercial breaks for the advertising, now it seems like the whole show is an advertisement.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd prefer to get to talk to someone live and in person. I have watched Michael Waddell on TV and I guarantee I would not hunt with them bozo's. On the other hand I met Steve... "Steves Outdoor Adventures" I could pass on him too. Will Primos, I've met him and would hang out with him in a heart beat. I'm going to Africa in 2014 with a guy I've met, he's donated to our conservation organzation several times, I know people who have hunted with him and loved it, That's who I am going with. If it were just the internet, and I hadn't met anybody, I'd probably go with you. THe guy I'm going with has been on a few shows, but I've never seen them, just had people ask me if I'd seen the show because they knew he'd donated hunts to our event. To me going to some of the big shows, SCI or show up at some of the bigger conservation organization fund raisers (I did DU and had over 800 people there) our live auctions raised some major money. Getting to know people that way gives people the confidence that they can "pull the trigger". Good luck.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
correction, re: JJHACK: I would suggest you do a LOT of research on how the productions are funded, and by whom. It will have absolute bearing on if the show or shows are productive, or even completed, for that matter.

I would suggest that until the shows are aired, if they get to that point, that you maintain professional distance from them until you see IF they are well done. (well done, meaning something you are comfortable working with them on more series)

If they are well done, well funded and professionally aired, and you ultimately are comfortable joining forces with them on a further basis, great. If not, cut your losses and run and let the world know as politely and professionally as you can, that you were merely testing the situation and studying it as a possibility of doing more shows. No matter what happens, I would not get in a "throwing sour grapes" debate and I would encourage you to rise above it and simply continue your professional life as it was before the productions.

I would also be interested in "what's in this for me" right up front, what promises are they making and get it in writing with witnesses signatures and dates... There is nothing wrong with being upfront and honest with them that there will need to be compensation for your time, because those shows are not quickly produced and you will spend a considerable amount of your time doing them. I would encourage you to set those compensations with benchmarks as you go along and watch to see that they are met and done without pain and effort and definitely without you having to ask for them.

If the first few financial benchmarks go smoothly, wonderful, that will be a good sign...but I would keep that aspect of your relationship in the corner of your eye and if it becomes troubled, it will be a very real sign that the productions may not get to air. I don't have to tell you what that will do for your integrity and/or reputation...because the lodges and sponsors will associate you very closely with the series, and if there is egg on the face from the beginning, it could affect you all the way through.

A series is a great tool to make wonderful and strong relationships with the sponsors, who may well come to you later and offer you external work promoting their products, and THAT will be your ticket to the financial cream...and there is nothing wrong with making good money so that you can promote yourself further, if the series doesn't go forward or if it closes after the first few airings.

Relationships with sponsors (ie, in theory: Weatherby, Filson, Columbia, etc) are a wonderful way for you to feather your financial nest and will take very little time and will offer wonderful cash rewards. They also will in turn, promote your image in a professional and positive manner, showing potential clients that you are a man of your word. If an advertising client wants to tie its name to your wagon, its a good sign, because they do THEIR due diligence long before approaching you.

I wish you nothing but success if you choose to work with them...and I hope that it is a glowing and positive experience for you, sir!

Last edited by 219Zipper; 12/30/12.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hunting/Fishing Show Format

Fishing Show:
Get in Boat
Make cast, with SuperGeeWhiz Deep Diving Catchall bait
Catch bass
Release bass
Brag up the lure, rod, reel, boat, lake, weather, etc.
Repeat above as necessary
Post credits at end of show, with outfitter name, phone number, email address

Deer Hunt Show:
Get in stand
Wait for buck
Grab bow or rifle, shoot buck
Brag up bow, arrow, broadhead, rifle, etc. manufacturer
Find buck, take pics, brag up outfitter, etc.
Roll credits at end of show, with outfitter name, phone number, email address

Turkey Hunt Show:
Dress up in camo, sit down in front of tree
Call turkey
Shoot turkey in head/neck with shotgun
Run out, pick up turkey, brag up fan, spurs, beard, etc.
Brag up shotgun, ammo, calls, camo, outfitter, etc.

Africa Hunt
Arrive in camp, shake hands with everyone, brag up camp
Get in vehicle, drive around, spot game
Stalk close, get set up on shooting sticks, make shot
Run out to game, brag up horns, hide, age of animal, etc.
Brag up rifle, ammo, PH, etc.- repeat above as necessary

It never ceases to amaze me how the producers of these shows continually come up with new, innovative ways of producing their shows.........

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hack- we've chatted enough that I know when I am going, I'm going with you. Closing on a house at the upper end of my budget and looming fiscal cliffs don't help. But I watch all 3 channels on Dish on and off when I am indoors. Seeing your show would certainly keep me focused on the savings and my priorities in the forefront of my daily life.

I know nothing of business but would guess a lot of dumb schitt like Ozonics and other gimmicks are sold due to the advertising. This Bone Collector stuff I thought to be THE DUMBEST line of marketing ever. But the Bubbas eat that stuff up. I say go for it. Just don't pimp yourself for free. I would be fearful of getting worked over with pretty extensive head counts to "get the shot". I like you would see a ton more bookings from just a few episodes. As long as that's your goal.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How much would a sportsman channel hunting show help you decide?

The last show I watched featured a Colorado outfitter.....the very same one that guided my friend onto another's land to shoot an an elk....he was tagged for trespassing.....a darn near criminal offense in Colorado.....did the outfitter stand behind him?.....NOPE!

Answer.....it wouldn't do a thing for me....and in this case actually be negative.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 75 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.