Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I want one...

I really like my UL5200, but it had to stay home when I went into The Bob for 8 days.

Big trips, I really need a 6500 inch pack. Or I gotta quit eating, and not take clothes.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But my opinion on the Bikini Duplex is the same of the UL 5200. Good looking pack, but it needs more compression straps.

Or they could just change the Kifaru logo to a muffin

I'm Irish...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I like compressin systems like the Epic. I do think with improved stays it will carry a larger load well, though I would like to see an extra compressin strap and larger webbing. I have basically gifted the Epic to Owen (my son) and he uses it all the time. I had to get him a smaller belt. My most used pack this year was a ULA ohm 2.0 with a modified frame. I have carried 75 in it, but really I consider it a 50 to 60 lb pack due to belt slippage. Combined with a couple custom made add ons it is the most efficient wilderness carry system I know of. It's a bit small 3900 , but measured 3000 but I did use it on the early spring crossing of part of the San Juans ( 25 to 30 miles, mostly snow, much above tree line) with snow shoes, ice axe, BCS and prototype sibling stove. I also used it on one weekend BP hunt. I didn't plan to carry out a whole animal though. My plan, if I had gotten something was to put camp gear in a dry sack attached to the outside, and meat inside then come back with a Kelty cache hauler for the big load. I really like the cache hauler for large loads, in fact I like it much more than a Dana external frame. I don't like 3 piece belts though, so perhaps I am in the minority. My twener pack is an Osprey vector series, that while long in the tooth is excellent for loads to 80 ( though I've carried over 100 with it). I do believe if Osprey still made the vector series it would be on everyone's radar for BP hunting .

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks Ken. I'm delighted to see the new design still uses the upper and lower delta straps. What has always impressed me about Kifaru packs was how well they locked into the hips and base of the spine. For carrying loads, especially off trail, side hilling, etc. that makes a huge difference.
I'm giving away my Mtn. Hardware pack because it doesn't fit any where nearly as well when carrying a load. My Kifaru Late Season does alot better with the same or a heavier load. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very happy i put off the T1 purchase. This new duplex is pretty sweet.

Sean
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
"Good looking pack, but it needs more compression straps."
This pack does not need any additional compression straps from where it is at now. The new bag already has enough straps to scrunch it down very well and use it as a day pack.

[Linked Image]

I used the High Camp and Bikini frame this morning for a little cardio. I had the bag stuffed up with clothes, blamkets and water bottles to a total weight of around fifty pounds.

I have carried several of the Kifaru packs and I believe they have a good hit here. They will sell several new pakcs and even more bikini frames. This is going to be a excellent mix between say the standard timberline with just stays in it and the Duplex frame.

>>>--DON'T TREAD ON ME--->
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had the Longhunter and a T1, and I imagine this pack will sell well. I won't have one though. I'm moving from Kifaru packs and will likely try a McHale next.

The problem I have is three piece belts feel great with 50 lbs, but with packout loads of 70-110lbs the lumbar pad slides down my back and the belt digs into my hips in a bad way.

I had this problem with the LH, the T1, and more recently with a Dana T1 loaded with 100 lbs sandbags.

I'm hoping that a full wrap belt will fit my body shape a bit better than the three piece.

I agree with a few folks above on the hauler setup. I think it would be very versatile and useable, if well done.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RockChucker30

The problem I have is three piece belts feel great with 50 lbs, but with packout loads of 70-110lbs the lumbar pad slides down my back and the belt digs into my hips in a bad way.

Barbell squats, heavy ones, might be the answer for you, rather than another piece of kit. Developing your glutes, or "growing an ass" will give the belt somewhere to sit. Find a coach, and or buy Rippetoe's book, Starting Strength.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 12/26/12. Reason: spellin'
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Barbell squats, heavy ones, might be the answer for you, rather than another piece of kit. Developing your glutes, or "growing an ass" will give the belt somewhere to sit. Find a coach, and or buy Rippetoe's book, Starting Strength.

That's not the problem. Curvy upper back and flat lumbar is the problem. I'm hoping a good full wrap belt is the solution.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You try talking to Kifaru about that. They might be able to help you with a modified pack suspension. E

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have the "full" butt and had the same problem with both the Longhunter Gen. 1 Rendevous and the Gen. 1 Siwash I had. I REALLY like the Siwash design and would love to have one that was a little larger, say 5500 cubes and the options, as now, to hang on or leave off various accessories.

I have had the best service from Dana and MSR packs, can still carry 100 lbs. at 66, but, VERY slowly in the mountains. Like most, I need more conditioning and I am getting a second DD-K2 Shortbed in the mail soon, paid for already. These work for me and are light.

I WOULD definitely check with Dan McHale, I have the utmost respect for him and have been most satisfied with doing business with him. I am seriously considering one of his packs, but,have enough packs now and need a 4x4, plus I just bought this custom ultralight 7-08.........damned gunaholism......

I think that a McHale, while costly, is the best option for anyone who cannot get the fit they want from MR and Kifaru.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Eremicus
You try talking to Kifaru about that. They might be able to help you with a modified pack suspension. E

I spoke with Patrick a few years ago when I had this problem with a G2 Longhunter with a medium belt. I said I think I needed to swap out my belt for a small size since I've got a 34" waist, but he talked me out of it. I never did get rid of the slippage issue, so I passed the 30 day return window and had to buy a small belt. That helped some but didn't solve the slippage.

The Timberline 1 I used on my elk hunt this past year had a small belt and did the same thing with heavy loads.

The 9 Kifaru packs I've had feel GREAT with normal loads (up to 50 for 24" stays, up to 70ish for 26" stays) but they flat don't work for me with heavy loads.

My experience with K packs has been good, but for someone buying a new one I would recommend you load it with 50 lbs and go for a 3-5 mile hike, then load it with 100 and do the same. Do that before the return window passes. I'd recommend that for ANY hunting pack BTW.

I've recently picked up a DD Shortbed and an unused DD T1 from craigslist and am putting them through their paces with 100 lbs of sandbags. So far so bad....the lumbar pads on the DD belts slip as well.

I also traded for a DD Stillwater (internal, same suspension as Terraplane) and so far love it with regular loads. I haven't tested it with 100 lbs yet, but am afraid it will slip too.

I have more hope for the full wrap belt on a Kelty Cache Hauler than the DD frame packs. I borrowed a Kelty and will test it out this week.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RockChucker, with an internal it is essential that the load be married to your lumbar area. A flat lumbar area makes it difficult, and maybe impossible. However, if you haven't removed the stays and bent them to *your* back, you haven't gotten all you can out of an internal's suspension. You may also consider a thinner lumbar pad. All an extra thick pad is good for is trying to solve the problem of stays not bent to your back. At the same time, it pushes the center of gravity further from your back exactly at the point where you need the load to be directed into your lumbar area. This causes accelerated slippage.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Evan,

I did bend the aluminum stays in the LH until they fit my back perfectly. (It's not easy to bend those jokers!)

It worked better than the CF stays in the Timberline, but still slipped.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had the Longhunter and a T1, and I imagine this pack will sell well. I won't have one though. I'm moving from Kifaru packs and will likely try a McHale next.

That's pretty much where I'm at too. What a Kifaru Bikini Duplex fetches is only 300 bucks away from a McHale. My problem with Dan is the slow turn around. But it's winter...

I know I need something 6000-6500 inches before my summer through hike/fishing trip of The Bob.

I'm Irish...

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

That's not the problem. Curvy upper back and flat lumbar is the problem. I'm hoping a good full wrap belt is the solution.

I have the exact problem you have over 50 lbs and my MR Kodiak starts to slip.Sounds like we are built the same.I was even going to drive to Montana and see if they can fix it.Looking forward to your pack trials.Is that Kuiu pack waist belt the wrap around type?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Buck59
I have the exact problem you have over 50 lbs and my MR Kodiak starts to slip.Sounds like we are built the same.I was even going to drive to Montana and see if they can fix it.Looking forward to your pack trials.Is that Kuiu pack waist belt the wrap around type?

Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Kuiu and Stone Glacier both use a full wrap belt. From what I've heard and read I'd personally take a look at the SG before a Kuiu.

I think the GG Chief that Ed T mentioned is a full wrap as well...correct?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Some of you guys need ninety pounds in an ALICE pack and a five gallon water can in each hand for a tidy little jaunt. That will give you a different "perspective". Not to mention possibly cervical spine issues as well.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Some of you guys need ninety pounds in an ALICE pack and a five gallon water can in each hand for a tidy little jaunt. That will give you a different "perspective". Not to mention possibly cervical spine issues as well.

Just you saying that gives me flashbacks of the Q course.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by THE_ELK_REAPER

Just you saying that gives me flashbacks of the Q course.

Yeah, and I was just talking about gettin' off of a few Blackhawks. I've tried to blot the Q out of memory.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
223 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 25 invisible), 1,618 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.