24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I have noticed on several occasions that people are with sidearms that are visible in a holster in stores like kmart and 7-11 ect. I live in virginia and wondering if they are law enforcement or if it's just legal to carry a weapon in plain view holsterd. Do you still need a ccw permit to do this or can anyone who has a legaly owned wepon do this? Seems like the wild west when I see that.

If you can catch or kill it I can cook it.
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I don't think open carry is a good idea. It's going to offend lots of folks and does our cause no good, IMHO.

CCW is just that, concealed carry of a weapon, and that should be all it is. Brandishing a weapon can cause concern. I, personally, don't like to see it and I'm a Life Member of the NRA and a CCW permit holder.

DF

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Brandishing in Pa. No such law. Va i don't know.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
CCW required in MT, but a lot of people carry without one. The people that let everyone see that they are carrying want the attention and are [bleep] idiots in my opinion....

Life's a game, hunting is serious.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunny69
CCW required in MT, but a lot of people carry without one. The people that let everyone see that they are carrying want the attention and are [bleep] idiots in my opinion....

+1

Brandishing sorta defeats the whole purpose of CCW, IMHO.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some people need to learn the definition of brandishing........here's a clue, open carrying a firearm in a holster is NOT brandishing.......

Cancer Sucks
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gunny69

In Montana a permit is only required in towns or mining/lumber camps. You don't need a permit otherwise to carry concealed in MT. I also think that many who open carry in town (It is legal in most town. I think Helena is the exeption) are looking for attention. It doesn't bother me though. They will however get the attention of nervous police officers. What's funny about that is should a person put a rifle in their window gunrack nothing is said, but as soon as a person straps on a handgun they are suspect. Can you say phopia.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
While I only conceal carry unless I am in the field, I think it takes away from everyone when people on here throw a fit about open carry. It is our Right to be able to do such, but when someone exercises that right they question it. Instead of questioning our rights, why dont you question the states where you cant open carry or CCW. That will do our cause a lot more good than gun people looking down on those who choose to open carry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LWILLIAMS
While I only conceal carry unless I am in the field, I think it takes away from everyone when people on here throw a fit about open carry. It is our Right to be able to do such, but when someone exercises that right they question it. Instead of questioning our rights, why dont you question the states where you cant open carry or CCW. That will do our cause a lot more good than gun people looking down on those who choose to open carry.

+1

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Legal in the entire state here except the city of Denver, federal buildings, courts, and a few other places.
I don't do it.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I pretty much open carry when out of town in the woods and such.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by LWILLIAMS

+1, I'd have to agree with this...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My wife..."are you glad to see me horney?" smile

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
In SD you need a permit to conceal carry, but anyone that can legally own a pistol can carry if the gun is visible. not many people do it in town because some people are scared of seeing a gun and they don't want to deal with people hassling them. I also don't want a potential attacker to know I have a gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can have a pistol in plain sight here too.

Personally, I think most criminals are spineless, and if they see that a person is actually carrying a firearm, chances are better that such pansies won't mess with them because they might get shot. Criminals are like a predator, picking out the weak....

The truth of the matter is that the 2nd Ammendment guarantees the right of all citizens to bear arms. This means open carry is guaranteed by the US Constitution. I tend to agree with gonzaga's perception of criminals. A person wishing to do harm is extremely likely to focus on someone who poses little or no threat to him. Everyone who owns a firearm should open carry as often as possible. CCW laws are, in most states, limited to concealed weapons and have nothing to do with open carry rights - which are granted by the constitution. Sometimes folks get mixed up and think the right to bear arms means we have the right to own them. But the constitution grants the right to keep (own) AND bear (carry) arms. Spread the word and exercise your constitutional rights!

God made men, Samuel Colt made them equal!
B
B
Ive been in law enforcement long enough to know that the laws are only as good as the person interpreting them. You want them to mean one thing and someone else will read to far into it for it to mean something total different.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In Oklahoma, to carry a handgun either concealed or open, a person needs a handgun license that is issued by the Okahoma State Bureau of Investigation. This license is only required to carry and not to own. That being said, I carry both ways depending upon how easy it is to cnoceal.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you have a "right" to keep and bear arms (open carry) then why do you need a CCW? If the government can regulate concealed carry, then why cant they regulate open carry? Your rights are only as good as the courts see fit.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Open carry is legal in Virginia for Virginia residents except possibly in certain areas with local rules. I would personally rather have a concealed weapon...one of the major determinants of success in war is the element of surprise. Half the people I see with openly carried weapons in public would be easy targets for someone to suddenly disarm them (or just shoot them like the school guard who simply becomes the first target). Just sayin'.

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,929
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.