Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Yep .270 is 30-06 based and a .308 will fit no problem.

Sounds like case head separation

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Update. My friend is out of surgery. Turns out there were not 4 rounds in the rifle after all. Here is the way it actually happened:

Friend had 3 rounds in the rifle. Killed 3 hogs. Reached in his pocket and loaded 3 more rounds (from the top) and bolted the 4th round in the chamber. Aimed and pulled the trigger. That is when the rifle exploded. Surgeon said he removed a piece of primer cap from the rt. eye. I can only assume that the primer cap came from one of the cartridges in the magazine.

Rifle definitely did not discharge before bolt was closed. My friend remembers aiming at the 4th hog and pulling the trigger.

Last edited by pharmvet; 12/28/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Case head separations are bad period, but, that is the worst case scenario. The case comes apart and floods the loaded magazine with white hot gas, with the potential to ignite everything in it's path. Your friend is very lucky.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shooting glasses would have saved a lot of pain and suffering and maybe an eye.

RAN

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by pharmvet
My friend had an accident this morning while hunting. The rifle exploded on the 4th shot. He may loose his rt. eye. He is having surgery in Tyler in about 30min.

Prayers to you and your friends family

<�))))>< (_(_(_) ><((((�>

Romans 12:2
"Don't be conformed to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you can figure out what God's will is & what is good and pleasing and mature."(CEB)
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Regarding shooting glasses, I was thinking the same thing. I sometimes wear them during recreational shooting, but never during hunting, except pheasant hunting. Are there any shooting glasses that are head and shoulders above the rest? thanks

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Malm
Case head separations are bad period, but, that is the worst case scenario. The case comes apart and floods the loaded magazine with white hot gas, with the potential to ignite everything in it's path. Your friend is very lucky.

Found out that my friend rested his rifle on some kind of 2x4 (maybe a feed trough) and had his left hand on the same 2x4 rather than the forearm. Might have lost his hand otherwise. These things really make you think about safety.

Last edited by pharmvet; 12/28/12.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Any pictures of the blown rifle?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MILES58
Aw geezuz. A .308 round will chamber up just fine in a .270.

I think it may even fire often enough. If it does fire the bullet may make it down the barrel. It might disassemble the gun too, but I am with Malm on this, as likely as not it will make it down the barrel without wrecking the gun and/or the shooter.

My LGS has a .308 he pulled from a Remington. The gun was fine once he unlocked it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
When was the Howa/Vanguard recall, & what was the cause? If I recall correctly, it had something to do with accidental discharge.
Jim

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
prayers to your friend

Double_D
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have to wear glasses anymore and I had a pair made with just my distance script. They are titanium framed safety lenses. Works great and give that extra bit of safety. My prayers for your friend. Would like to know what the cause was when you find out.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Many years ago my best friend and i were going doe hunting here in Pa. In the morning,he asked if he could use my Browning BBR 7mm Mag instead of his usual Rem 700 30-06.Of course i obliged and we headed into the woods.We met back at the truck for lunch and neither of us had seen anything and he decided to take his 30-06 out for the afternoon so i grabbed the 7mm mag and went on my way.Later in the afternoon,i took a shot a doe and the rifle almost disintigrated in my hands.After a few minutes i was able to regain my senses and tried to figure out what happened.The bolt wouldn't open so i picked up all the parts and went back to the truck.The entire bottom of the action and floorplate had blown apart and the stock was in 5 pieces.When i got home that night i but the barreled action in a vise and had to use a 3 lb sledge to open the bolt.Once it had been removed,i discovered that my friend had chambered a 30-06 shell by mistake and it has indeed gone off and the slug did exit the barrel.Other than the damage to the gun,i lost some hearing in my right ear permanently but had no other i'll effects.I'm thankfull to this day that Browning made such a strong action otherwise it could have been worse.I also learned never to trust anyone else in loading one of my guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Years ago I saw of listing over caliber cartridges that would chamber behind lesser caliber barrels. If anyone has a copy, it would be a most informative post.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Years ago I saw of listing over caliber cartridges that would chamber behind lesser caliber barrels. If anyone has a copy, it would be a most informative post.

I don't have it here, but it is in Jerry Kuhnhausen's Mauser shop manual. I believe it is reprinted from SAMMI.

Sean
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by tomme boy
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...001_750051_757983_-1_757978_757978_image

It could have fired out of battery by cycling the bolt. He needs to check into this.

This recall is for the iBolt.....the gun in question is the 1500 that is/was manufactured by Howa and is also called the Howa 1500 and the Weatherby Vanguard (I think).

My thoughts are with your friend and his family! He might be lucky to "just" lose an eye! Scary stuff!

Chris

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My opinion is there was an excess build up of pressure when the .308 bullet started into the .270 throat.

The .308 cartridge, being shorter and leaving some space around the case, near the shoulder and neck, allowed this high pressure gas to escape around the outside of the .308 case and flow back into the action. The case collapsed instead of expanding and sealing the chamber.

This is assuming that it was a .308 chambered by accident.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prayers Sent.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
http://www.remington.com/pages/news...notice-Remington270-150Gr-SoftPoint.aspx

Remington has a recall out on some .270 ammo over-loaded to dangerous pressure levels.

Last edited by ruffcutt; 12/30/12.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My step son managed to chamber a 308 in a 25-06 Browning single shot. It seems the bullet headspaced on the chamber throat to allow it to be fired. Rifle was destroyed as badly sprung, scope is probably in orbit as it was never found. His left thumb which he had on the scope while shooting ( think he had been adjusting the variable) is shorter by one joint. Most of the escaping gas appeared to have gone upwards . Fortunate to have had no eye damage. Two kinds of ammo on the bench at the same time in unmarked lead shot bags.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 23 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,718
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.