Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dubya
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
My Montana is a solid eight MOA rifle, does that help?

Yet you still own. Cry me a river...

Haven't people offered to buy it? Multiple times IIRC.

Yep. I had cash in hand waiting on a pm with info on where to send funds and ffl info. Idiot doesn't even have a Montana. Lets see some pics.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
To all, thanks very much for all of the feedback. What I think is this . The Kimber 84L is a fine rifle. It seems that Kimber has worked out some growing pains on this model and it indeed is a fine rifle. You can currently get a stainless Kimber for 2-300.00 dollars less than a Forbes 24B. Forbes is working on a Stainless, price yet to be determined. the Forbes has a Timney trigger designed by Melvin, the Kimber has there own design which is very good. The Forbes is bedded different than the Kimber. Both rifles shoot deer accurate farther than I would ever take a shot. I'm a lucky guy to have the oppertunity to choose.......I will let you guys know my decision........I am curious about a SS Forbes.......wonder what it will run. Thanks again for all the feedback......goodshot.

Last edited by goodshot; 12/27/12.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
No brainer-Forbes.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You guys know if the stainless Forbes will have the stainless action or just the stainless barrel with a blued action?

NEVER GIVE UP
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
From the Forbes website......

Thursday, December 27, 2012

HomePressCatalogFAQ'sContact Us
FAQ's
Login
Register

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I place an order?

You can place an order by contacting your local Federal Firearms licensed dealer, gun shop, or retailer. Please supply your dealer with model, caliber, and scope ring size.

What Calibers are offered in the model 24B rifle?

We are currently in production on 30-06, 25-06, and .270 win. We will be adding .280 Rem and 35 Whelen by the end of the year.

When will left hand rifles be available?

Left hand Model 24B rifles will be available for order by the end of the year.

When will short action rifles be available?

Short action, Model 20B rifles will be available, however the timeframe and calibers are not yet determined.

Will stainless guns be available?

Stainless guns are planned for release by the end of the year.

Are there any other stock colors available?

Current production guns are only available in charcoal at this time.

Who makes the barrel?

E.R. Shaw Inc. of Bridgeville, PA

Are scope mounting rings included?

Yes, Talley scope rings are included in either 1� or 30mm. (Please specify size with order)

What type of safety is used on Forbes rifles?

We use the same two positions, three function safety as the custom made NULA Model 24.

How many rounds does the magazine hold?

The magazine holds 3 rounds plus one in the chamber.

What is the length of pull on a Forbes rifle? Can it be changed?

The length of pull is 13.5� and it cannot be changed.

What�s the recoil like . . .?

Despite the light weight of the Forbes Rifles, the in-line orientation of the stock and action coupled with the ability of the composite stock to absorb some of the initial �shock� results in recoil that is appropriate for firearms in the calibers we offer.

What is the stock made of?

The Forbes Rifle stocks are a true composite, constructed of hand-laid carbon fiber and Kevlar [reinforcement].

Is the barrel free-floated of bedded?

All Forbes Rifles are bedded the entire length of the stock and barreled action interface. This type of bedding dampens vibrations, increasing potential accuracy and yielding more consistent POA/POI between projectile weights.

Do you work on or supply parts for ULA/NULA/Colt Light Rifles?

All custom ULA, NULA, and Colt Light Rifle components can be ordered from New Ultra Light Arms, Granville, WV by contacting Melvin Forbes at 304-292-0600.

What is the typical delivery time frame on a Model 24B?

Currently the lead time for delivery on a Model 24B rifle with a carbon or stainless barrel is 90-120 days.

What is the warranty on the rifle?

Limited Lifetime

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the info. A lefty in an all stainless Forbes rifle might just be the next rifle I buy.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BIGR
You guys know if the stainless Forbes will have the stainless action or just the stainless barrel with a blued action?

According to the Forbes web site, both options will be available.

All stainless 24B is $1,499

Stainless barrel and blued action is $1,467

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting that they're coming out with the Forbes in .280 Rem. Given that I have a Montana in .280 Ackley, however, it falls squarely in the "needless want" category.

Chris
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've been toying with getting the Montana in 280AI, but would rather have a stainless Forbes in .280. I can't think of anything that the Montana would have over a SS Forbes.

My ratings - YMMV
Accuracy - advantage Forbes
Stock construction - advantage Forbes
Weight - advantage Forbes
Corrosion resistence - TBD, but the Montana leaves a bit to be desired
State of manufacture - advantage Forbes (Maine - no bias here wink )
Customer service - I'll take my chances with Melvin and a bunch of Mainers over the Yonkers crowd.

Again, YMMV

Ready, Fire, Aim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
What is a 25-06 optimum for?

Opti opti ah heck how do I spell that word? Anywho, I don't know if anything is this world is optimum for anything.

This much I do know and that's aside from Brownies there's nothing on this side of the pond that I'd not take out with a 25/06. And only one thing across the pond that I care to hunt that I wouldn't with a 25/06 that I was intimate with.

That doesn't answer your question but it should be sporty anyway... wink

Hope your Christmas was a good one and that you have a super 2013!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The .30-06 Forbes I've been testing groups around .7 consistently with Hunting Shack factory ammo loaded with 185 Berger VLD's, which is just about exactly how my 15-year-old NULA Model 24 .30-06 groups with the same ammo. I have no doubt the Forbes will do around 1/2" with handloads developed specifically for it.

Like NULAs, it also groups fine and to the same point of impact when the barrel is hot. The fit and finish also seem to be just as good as a NULA--including the lapped locking lugs. You just don't get any custom options.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John-that sounds like a really nice rig, can't wait to get my paws on it...grin

Any chance you've ran any 200's or 125-130's thru it?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best to you as well Dober.

Montana was an early goal for me to visit. I found my Glacier National Park 15-Day Automobile Permit dated Aug. 5 1960.

I always wanted to see those glaciers and I drove all the way out there and back to CT then. The glaciers were indeed most impressive and in the summertime yet!

If it were not for rifle competition here, sailing the coast, and the camp in VT some Western hunting could have been done.

This forum is so good for getting thru the winter. We got some snow and then rain last night and then it froze here in CT . I ran the snowblower through the slush and now we can drive over the lumps.

Tomorrow I might take a ride to a farm for some deer hunting. What with the snow and ice I don't know!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mark,

Nothing lighter than 150's or heavier than 185. Dunno why it wouldn't shoot lighter and heavier bullets, though.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JB-How about the 155 Hybrid and or 168 Berg? I bet it'd really bug hole those bad boys.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 12/27/12.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My opinion is the Forbes over the Montana. Had/ have both. Forbes fit me a little better but i do like the stainless option on Kimber. I spike with Forbes and the stainless bbl version should be available soon. No mention of the stainless action. As mentioned before the lugs are fit well and the bedding is nice. Both are nice touches. Waiting to get my hands on some matrix 165's to test in it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would think both are very good rifles.

Which one feels better in your hands?

Are you committed to push vs. control feed?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agreed. Both are great sticks.

Here is a 3 shot group i did with my Forbes today. I have seen some kimbers do the same.
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by dubya
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
My Montana is a solid eight MOA rifle, does that help?

Yet you still own. Cry me a river...

Haven't people offered to buy it? Multiple times IIRC.

$850 shipped and it can be your problem. Same offer I've made repeatedly. Not a single taker.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've got three Kimbers and they all have required a little tinkering. But, I don't mind the tinkering. It's kind of rewarding actually. All of mine shoot lights out now, following a little bedding and a trigger tune, which can be done with an allen wrench and a open end wrench. I would not hesitate to buy another Kimber.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (1OntarioJim, 22kHornet, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 26 invisible), 1,551 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,501
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.