Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I think a discussion what powder is better will go on for ever.
The choice of powder I think is a personal choice. Use what ever powder you have confidence in. I myself think all powder has the potential to shoot accurately, it just takes a little load development.
Last night I loaded four different powders using the same volume and not by weight just to see just what the results would be for my own curiosity.
The conditions where not the best for this this morning with a 22 degree 15 MPH wind blowing in my face bringing out the tears and cold fingers I could not feel the trigger.
I shot a few rounds to foul the barrel and shot 5 rounds of 2F swiss, 5 of 2F KIK and 6 Schuetzen with the German label the rounds of 1.5 KIK I did not shoot because I didn't dress warm enough and my fingers were hurting.
Between the three different powders I shot this morning I just cant say which was more accurate. They all shot good in the .44 Rem St..
The only difference I found is that the same volume of the three powders was the Swiss and Schuetzen weight 3 grains more then the KIK smile KIK 92 gr Swiss and Schuetzen 95 gr. with the same volume in the case.
I used the Heavy barreled Shiloh with a 35" 1.3" round straight barrel in the .44-2.6" Rem St. (44-100) with a 28" MVA Scope.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image][Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by Kurt71; 12/29/12.
BP-B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
By the way.
The bullet was a Brent Danielson design 475 gr prolate cast at 1/18 T/L patched to .001 over bore diameter.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice shooting Kurt!

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Kurt71
By the way.
The bullet was a Brent Danielson design 475 gr prolate cast at 1/18 T/L patched to .001 over bore diameter.

[Linked Image]

Perfect, good looking cartridge, Thanks Kurt.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Kurt for braving the elements and bringing some light to this subject..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Woody,

I always have said; a bad day at the range is still better then a good day at work. smile

The rifle I used for this has always shot right from the start. I really havent had a chance yet to really see what it will do at long range, something I will find out shortly as soon as I can get out of here and join the snow birds down south where I can find a long range to shoot this rifle.

Gunner.

Yes that round looks good, but that same bullet shot from the .44-90 BN will not stay on a 4 foot square steel plate at 600 yards. Been down that road using all the powder I used yesterday.

Something one should look at with these three powders used shooting those three groups is the lack of vertical, something a inaccurate powder will not control. I look at the groups for the lack of vertical.

The hole at 1 o-clock on the Swiss load I dismiss as a brain fart or a wind shift that was going on yesterday with the falling snow and twitchy winds, as well as the split groups for the KIK load.

I think all three of these powders will shoot good BUT the fouling is not the same! and I wont open that can of worms grin

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
OK, Kurt, I will open that can. grin

But, before I begin, let me echo the other's comments. Nice shooting!

Four questions about fouling;
1. Do these powders exhibit vastly different fouling characteristics?
2. Are any of those characteristics sufficiently toilsome to cause one to avoid that powder?
3. Do the obnoxious (my term) powder(s) have benefits that cause them to stay in the game, in spite of the issues?
4. Is there any way to remedy, or lessen those bad characteristics?

OK, now that I've stirred the pot, what flux should be used? grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
OK, Kurt, I will open that can.

But, before I begin, let me echo the other's comments. Nice shooting!

Thank you Ed, but it's more of a rifle thing then me.

Four questions about fouling;
1. Do these powders exhibit vastly different fouling characteristics?

Not vastly but there is a difference.

2. Are any of those characteristics sufficiently toilsome to cause one to avoid that powder?

No. Just control the fouling.

3. Do the obnoxious (my term) powder(s) have benefits that cause them to stay in the game, in spite of the issues?

All powders have a problem when it gets hot, that's why the blow tube gets put asside and wiping sticks come out. Swiss and the Schuetzen I find that I have to quit using the B-tube sooner then the KIK no matter what lube I use.

4. Is there any way to remedy, or lessen those bad characteristics?

Control the fouling.

OK, now that I've stirred the pot, what flux should be used?

Well I like and use Rosin flux

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not necessarily "the best OR preferred", but when I started with my 45-70s, I and the guys I shot with were, for the most part, shooting Elephant 2f. When that became unavailable, I switched to Goex CTG. Now that that is unavailable, I'm kinda starting from scratch, although I have been shooting Goex 1f outta my 45-90. Guess a guy has to roll with the punches . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.