Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
For those of you that reload for it, which brand of reloading dies do you use?

Thanks in advance.

BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Redding first chkice and RCBS second choice.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have/use Lyman dies its what was available at the time...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used Hornaday dies for a while and just hated them. Got some RCBS and they are OK, somewhat better, but neither die set can be screwed down to anywhere near the shellholder and really full length re size properly. I shoot this rifle so little that I have learned to live with the poor dies but want to get and try some Redding Dies for this caliber someday.

Newer dies from Hornaday or RCBS might work fine, but my two sets are not so great.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
79S,

Any issues with the Lyman dies?

Many thanks to all that answered.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When I had my Dakota I used RCBS dies with Norma brass and never had a problem.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Redding first chkice and RCBS second choice.

This.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RCBS,no problem as of yet. Early 90's vintage dies and federal brass.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I use lyman dies. It took me some trial, error and a few collapsed shoulders but I finally got it. What I learned may seem obvious but I will share any way.
-If the cases are previously fired polish them first and use
a 416 brush in the neck after polishing.
-Use plenty of case lube.
-Also use graphite neck lube.
-pick a powder charge that is near or over 100% this will help keep the bullets in place during recoil.
-crimp slowly and carefully and a little at a time paying close attention to the shoulder angle. This step is where I goofed up the most. I ended up buying A-Squares's "Any Shot You Want" book and found their crimping section very helpful.
Shoot alot.... The more you shoot the more you reload!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
RCBS, never had a problem. Crimped good enough to hold onto even heavy loads.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
RCBS, although crimping only works with Federal nickel brass for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Crimped using jamison brass.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Sojerguy
For those of you that reload for it, which brand of reloading dies do you use?

Thanks in advance.

Redding, and enough H-4350 to push the 350 gr TSX's to a comfortable and accurate 2750 fps. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ALL my dies are RCBS with the sole exception of a set of 257 Reddings and 450/400 Hornady's. Have never had a problem with any of them and that is for over 17 different calibers. Most of my 416 Rigby brass was BeLL (Mast) and Norma. Had no problems with either case. All shot in a CZ550 custom. All used in Africa with good results.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ALL my dies are RCBS with the sole exception of a set of 257 Reddings and 450/400 Hornady's. Have never had a problem with any of them and that is for over 17 different calibers. Most of my 416 Rigby brass was BeLL (Mast) and Norma. Had no problems with either case. All shot in a CZ550 custom. All used in Africa with good results. Bullets were all Woodleigh's. Either solids or softs.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm using a new RCBS set.

No issues and I'm getting lonnnnng case lfe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sojerguy
79S,

Any issues with the Lyman dies?

Many thanks to all that answered.

As a matter of fact, yes I have problems with my Lyman 416 dies. The sizer will not screw down into the press all the way. It gets tight and stops at a certain depth. It's almost as though the threads are tapered and oversized at the top. They were on sale so I made them work with a little force, but that sizer is very tight. Glad i didn't ruin my old JR3 press. I'd hate to replace that.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've been using Lyman dies for my Rigby and have never had any problems and I do crimp my reloads. One suggestion is to seat/crimp in two steps. First set your die to seat to the proper length without crimping then adjust your die to crimp without seating. Much better than trying to seat and crimp at the same time.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Warning about the generic Hornady 416 New Dimension, seating dies. I reload a wildcat made from 375 Ruger virgin brass cases. I have a set of Lyman 416 Rigby F.L. dies, and it works with trimming the sizer back .300". The seater works right out of the orange box. I also have a set of custom wildcat Hornady New Dimension reloading dies. Both seating dies leave my undersized cases unsupported at the shoulders. Too much crimping can and does buckle my shoulders.

My Ruger parent cases are much tougher than many of the Rigby ones. I have the complete case forming set to size down from the Ruger Basic Brass. I just run a loaded (buckled) round through one form die to iron out the buckled shoulders. Now I run every loaded round through it just to make sure they will all chamber.

With the different Rigby brass cases being what they are, I would suggest staying with the older RCBS, ect. sets of reloading dies. These support the shoulders much better than do the Hornady New Dimension variety. You may not notice this, but my custom chamber and reloading dies are so close, that any bulging or buckling will stop a round from chambering. I designed in the very same half inch long neck, as the factory 416 Rigby. This is why I can do most, but not all of the reloading process with the Lyman dies, made for the larger diameter Rigby's. I can't full Length resize, but only neck size, expand, seat, and crimp, with my Lyman dies.

My custom New Dimension Hornady wildcat dies, do full length resize, but their generic sleeved seater, by definition, can't fully support any of the .416 family of case shoulders. I hope that making you aware of this problem will prevent it from biting you, in the future.

Remember that with the large tough bullets in a .416, you can't effectively run a loaded and crimped round back through your F.L. sizing die, to iron out buckled shoulders. With my forming die which only touches the tapered case bodies, it is a snap. This die has a faux neck, which is about 11mm, to hold the necks against the hack saw blades. It is also a file trim die. So I run the cases through my .416 F.L. die, and then after I crimp the bullets in, I run every loaded round back through this taper only forming die. After firing, there is no visible bump at the case head, body junction. Any problems with the buckled shoulders are negated by the accuracy of the sleeve, in seating those bullets, inline. One other concern is that the preferred Lyman dies have a bare few thousandth's, step up to the expanding button. The Hornady New Dimension dies have elliptical expander buttons, and will deal with dented case mouths, and such.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Indy and et al,

Thank you for the info. My RCBS dies just arrived today. Will (carefully) play with them this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.