Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
OP Offline
T
I'm looking to buy my first CCW and not sure which model or caliber.

Right now I only have two pistols,... a .22 Mag for plinking and a .44 Mag for hunting. I obviously would like something in the middle for CCW.

I definitely want an automatic, but I'm flexible on caliber, 9mm? or .40? or .45?

I plan to spend no more than $1,000.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by TexasBlueDevil; 12/30/12.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If I could only own one handgun, it would be a Glock 19. Get an Advantage Arms 22 conversion for it. Get a Dillon 550B reloading press.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Entire books have been written about this. There are magazines devoted solely to this topic. I strongly urge you to "study up" before jumping at something that may not be for you. I would worry less about choice of caliber at this point than choice of a platform that you can handle safely and that's utterly reliable and concealable within your existing wardrobe. If it isn't, get ready to buy a lot of clothes, not to mention holsters.

A good starting point is Ayoob's Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry. This isn't as simple as saying, "I think I'd like a .45." It's really a lifestyle choice with potentially life altering consequences. Best to treat it as such and do your homework.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..what do you like? Double Action, Single Action, Safe-Action, Double Action Only?

You can more than get into something very nice under a grand...

My suggestion is that you go to a store near you and handle some semis and don't buy one... Then find out what you like and ask around to see what is available from friends or a big shop to shoot...

But regardless...whatever your choice you will end up switching guns within two years...99% do... Because when you buy the first one you find out you didn't know what you didn't know....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RJM

But regardless...whatever your choice you will end up switching guns within two years...99% do... Because when you buy the first one you find out you didn't know what you didn't know....

There is that.

IC B2

T
OP Offline
T

I prefer the Double Action/Single Action models.

Also I'm 5'10 and do not have large hands. So of the .45 and 10mm double stack pistols feel a little big in my hands.

Originally Posted by RJM
..what do you like? Double Action, Single Action, Safe-Action, Double Action Only?

You can more than get into something very nice under a grand...

My suggestion is that you go to a store near you and handle some semis and don't buy one... Then find out what you like and ask around to see what is available from friends or a big shop to shoot...

Bob

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Do you have a CHL yet? How do you plan on carrying? How large of a gun do you think you can successfully keep concealed? If you've already narrowed it down to semiauto, consider the smaller single-stack pistols. You may be better off with DA only versus DA/SA in those sizes. No matter what you choose, realize that everything in concealed carry is a tradeoff between concealabilty and power.

Again, it's not something to rush into. As RJM pointed out, odds are high you may change your mind as you gain experience carrying. Some folks go smaller and lighter over time. Some end up with a "wardrobe" of carry guns to work with a variety of clothing. There's no single best answer for everyone.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Glock 19 would be a great start.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
If I could only own one handgun, it would be a Glock 19. Get an Advantage Arms 22 conversion for it. Get a Dillon 550B reloading press.

The best answer is first again.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Glock 19.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
S&W 1911A1 .45 ACP

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glock 26 .

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Glock....just decide on caliber and frame size.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Most of the best concealed carry weapons go for much less than a grand. Tons of good ones. Depends on your specific needs and how you intend to carry.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Springfield XD-S looks like a winner to me.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
T
OP Offline
T
Hi KW,

I have had my CHL for nearly a year, but haven't had anything to carry.

I prefer the DA/SA's because I like having a hammer. I guess it is something similar to my revolvers.

Whatever I buy, I do plan to shoot it a lot. And I also realize that eventually, I'll probably end up with three or four CCW's. I hunt quite a lot. So I have lots of rifles and shotguns, but I've never been bitten by the pistol bug until now. I enjoy shooting my revolvers, but they are hunting tools. I'm looking for a nice beginner CCW. I don't mind spending a little money on it, because I'm sure I'll have it for quite a while. For some dumb reason, I rarely sell my firearms.

Thanks for the help!!!

Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Do you have a CHL yet? How do you plan on carrying? How large of a gun do you think you can successfully keep concealed? If you've already narrowed it down to semiauto, consider the smaller single-stack pistols. You may be better off with DA only versus DA/SA in those sizes. No matter what you choose, realize that everything in concealed carry is a tradeoff between concealabilty and power.

Again, it's not something to rush into. As RJM pointed out, odds are high you may change your mind as you gain experience carrying. Some folks go smaller and lighter over time. Some end up with a "wardrobe" of carry guns to work with a variety of clothing. There's no single best answer for everyone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glock 19.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Best?

Heckler & Koch P2000SK, 40 S&W.
Or P30 9MM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TexasBlueDevil

I prefer the DA/SA's because I like having a hammer. I guess it is something similar to my revolvers.
[/quote]

Not all DA/SA pistols have a hammer. But if it fits your hand, you sound like you're looking for a CZ75.

Lots of great pistols these days. Your "software" is more critical than the hardware.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glock, any Caliber. Which ever model fits your hand the best & you can comfortably conceal.
Doesn't matter as much which caliber you choose as the most important thing is being able to practice with your Concealed Carry Handgun until you are proficient and can safely use & carry that particular hand gun.

Buy a new Glock for $550 & spend the rest of that money on Ammo & Range Time.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/31/12.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 44 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,325
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.