Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ok, I found out I'm moving to MI. I'm used to carrying without a permit, carry a rifle as you please, etc.

What am I in for? I'm already planning on putting in for my ccw, but what other laws do I gott watch out for?

BP-B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The only thing I can think of is to take a CPL class and you should be good to go. Your permit will arrive in 4-6 weeks. Where in Michigan will you be living?
Welcome to Michigan!
Chris

Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Chris,

Not sure where we are gonna live. I'm not gonna have a job, gonna be set up where I won't need one for a while but been looking from the Portland area up to Cadillac and westward. Basically within a couple hour drive of GR ( family lives there) that gives us the most land for the buck but near a decent town with a good school system.

I've had my CCW up here so I'm not worried about getting a CPL, I just don't like the 6 month wait but it is what it is. I also don't like registering my handguns but.....

Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
Joel, I hate to see you guys leave Alaska. I have to leave to but don't want to so I know things come up. If you ever need anything when I'm back down that way let me know. Godspeed and good luck in your move to the lower

ACS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depending on what kind of work u do would seriously dictate where u should settle down. Work to be had around Lansing and GR.

IC B2

Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Leaving AK is the last thing I want to do but you do what you need to do for family.

Last couple of days we have been looking around the Lansing area ( Portland, Dewitt, etc), GR is way to close to family wink

A question on MI's permits, are they caliber specific?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't need a pistol permit if buying from a dealer as of December 18th. Still need one to buy from an individual. No they are not caliber specific. They are filled out at time of purchase with all the information. ON CPL questions I have no idea as I don't have one. I work about 10 minutes north of Dewitt in St. Johns. If u need work I can probably get u in LOL. Real Estate in that area is in the tank. Definently buyers market. I put a 69k offer on a house and was accepted on a house that was probably 135k 5years ago.

Last edited by k20350; 01/04/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are to register your hand guns with a permit from the local police where you will live within 10 days of bringing them into the state. It is the same permitting you would have to go through to purchase. Long guns have no similar requirement.

Long guns and handguns without a CPL have to be transported unloading in chamber and magazine, and inaccessible to vehicle occupants.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Do you need to bring the handguns with you to register or just the info? I'd think just the info would be enough but I haven't dealt with these kinds of laws before.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It used to be the gun itself, but call them and ask. The last time I bought one was in-state, and they wanted only the paperwork.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B3

Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Actually I was asking about the CPL, sorry for the confusion. Up here it used to be that if you qualified with a 45acp, that's all you could carry. Then it went to the caliber you qualified with and anything smaller. Then the state got smart and went no permit needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's good to have you back, Joel!!!!!!

Denny

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Denny, not sure if its good or not but there may be at least one more member to the gun club.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Come on !!!! isn't Scott enough? smile

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh I like busting his balls but I gotta be nice....somewhat. I need him to give me pointers to hunting MI. It's a lot different than AK.

He's a good guy and for a brother-in-law, I can't ask for anybody better.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Michigan is a fairly gun-friendly state. CPL is available after 6 months of residency by taking an 8-hour training course and submitting a simple application. Process takes 4-8 weeks, depending on when the county gun board meetings are scheduled. No specific gun is listed on the CPL. You can take the course with a .22 and carry a .45 if you want.

Rifles and shotguns must be unloaded in vehicles and either cased or inaccessable to the occupants. Hunting license is required to carry long gun afield unless on own property or at a recognized target range.

There are no magazine capacity limits or "assault weapon" bans. Class III is allowed.

Handguns must be registered at local sheriff or police department. This can probably be done by simply submitting a list of models, calibers, barrel lengths and serial numbers.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 01/07/13.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
It is my understanding if you have a CPL from another State that Michigan will give you a Temporary one as long as you submit the required paperwork within 30 days of establishng Residency to Get a Mi. Cpl.
We also have an Open carry Law here now that says you can Openly carry any Handgun/gun as long as it is in the Open/Not Concealed and not Carried in a Pistol free Zone unless you have a CPL and the Owners of Private property such as Gandermountain or Mcdonalds restaurant are Okay with it, If they are NOT Okay with it, All they can do is ask you to remove it or Leave... Be careful as open carry still must be unloaded, Locked and Inaccessabile in any Motorized Licensed Vehicle, This is a Felony if caught....
Check on the Website MGO Michigun Gun Owners there is a forum specifically on Open Carry and the Laws.
P.S. Welcome back to Michigan, I would rather be in Alaska also, But if you need anything let me know. I am from central lower are, St. Charles, Saginaw, Freeland area. Paul

Last edited by zr800; 01/16/13.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Michigan may be friendly to guns, but Governor Snyder will bleed you dry with taxes and fees.

Property Taxes are some of the highest in the country, you pay income tax on your pension, worst roads in the country, highest fuel taxes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
155 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.