-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got two kimbers and out of the box they both will do under an inch with my handloads. Haven't shot a factory load in either but I expect they'd do well. Both of my guns were manufactured post August 2011 if that means anything. Neither of my kimbers shoot under an inch consistently if I don't hold the forearm. I held a Forbes at scheeles and it is definitely a nice gun. I have light covered now so I'll probably never by a Forbes and I like the control round feed as well.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stevenautique
Agreed. Both are great sticks.

Here is a 3 shot group i did with my Forbes today. I have seen some kimbers do the same.
[Linked Image]

This is just me but I say air them both out a bit. I can get most Marlin 336's with a scope to shoot sub 1"...grin

Take the Montana and the Forbes to 300,400 and 500 and lets see how the accuracy race is going. I have no idea as I've not even groped a Forbes yet but I'm for betting it's gonna be a walkaway.

While I have fun shooting @ 100 it's mainly offhand and sitting anymore. But that's just my way.

Saying they're about the same @ 100 is kind of like me saying that out of the blocks I'm just as quick as Usain Bolt is so I'm just about as fast at 100... wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by stevenautique
Agreed. Both are great sticks.

Here is a 3 shot group i did with my Forbes today. I have seen some kimbers do the same.
[Linked Image]

This is just me but I say air them both out a bit. I can get most Marlin 336's with a scope to shoot sub 1"...grin

Take the Montana and the Forbes to 300,400 and 500 and lets see how the accuracy race is going. I have no idea as I've not even groped a Forbes yet but I'm for betting it's gonna be a walkaway.

While I have fun shooting @ 100 it's mainly offhand and sitting anymore. But that's just my way.

Saying they're about the same @ 100 is kind of like me saying that out of the blocks I'm just as quick as Usain Bolt is so I'm just about as fast at 100... wink

Dober

Usain isnt that fast is he? crazy

I have a 100yd range in my back yard that i test loads on. Living here in MN I have a few to many people and trees to get to 300 at my place. I will test this load out at 100 again to verify then stretch it out to 300. That is as far as my local range has. Wish i had somewhere close that had longer. frown

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
:othx for the vote of confidence.

I'm just not a fan of saying things like, see this 100 yard group...this gun shoots

Just one of the many hang ups of mine.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
:othx for the vote of confidence.

I'm just not a fan of saying things like, see this 100 yard group...this gun shoots

Just one of the many hang ups of mine.

Dober

They ain't unraveled until you get them to at least 300.. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not done much long-range shooting. The range where I shoot is limited to 200 yards, although they have a new range in the works on a separate parcel of land that might be developed into a 600 yard range in the next few years.

Anyway, can a rifle be a real tack driver at 100 yards and then schit the bed at long range? I know some of you guys have real experience shooting at long range, but I'm having trouble seeing how this makes sense.

If a rifle is shooting 0.5 MOA at 100 yards, what can happen over the next several hundred yards that turns it into an inaccurate rifle, other than the shooter's ability? If bullets fly true out of the barrel to 100 yards, how can they suddenly go to crap on account of the rifle?

Of course, my questions assume that everything such as barrel twist rate, bullet selection, B.C., shooter ability, stock configuration, etc. is a given.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 12/29/12.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CoalCracker

Anyway, can a rifle be a real tack driver at 100 yards and then schit the bed at long range? I know some of you guys have real experience shooting at long range, but I'm having trouble seeing how this makes sense.

I've seen rifles that turn in 1 moa at 100 yards, that can't hold 3 moa at 500.

So yeah, it happens.

100 yards is fun, but stuff changes past 250 yards, and you have to shoot at those ranges to KNOW.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is that usually due to twist?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
I have not done much long-range shooting. The range where I shoot is limited to 200 yards, although they have a new range in the works on a separate parcel of land that might be developed into a 600 yard range in the next few years.

If a rifle is shooting 0.5 MOA at 100 yards, what can happen over the next several hundred yards that turns it into an inaccurate rifle, other than the shooter's ability? If bullets fly true out of the barrel to 100 yards, how can they suddenly go to crap on account of the rifle?

Of course, my questions assume that everything such as barrel twist rate, bullet selection, B.C., shooter ability, stock configuration, etc. is a given.

I don't know why....but it happens.Errors in loads,conditions,vertical/horizontal dispersion,differences in velocity,changes in position,parallax,yadayada....they show up at long range.You might have a load that groups tight at 100 but vertically,and that vertical shows up as distance increases.Small discrepancies get magnified as distance increases.

In theory I guess you're right;it shouldn't happen but no matter how tight the groups are at close range,few are perfect,and there is this natural dispersion that takes place as distance increases;if it didn't a rifle should theoretically shoot as tight at 600 yards as it does at 100.Our efforts to put them all in the same hole is really an effort to minimize all this stuff.

Just one little example was a 30/06 that grouped equally well at 100 yards with 165 Partitions as it did with 165 Sierra's...but at 400 yards the Sierra consistently out shot the Partition...not by a lot, but several groups confirmed it just "did".

Sometimes it's us,too.But since we are part of the whole package,you can't exclude it as a factor...we just shoot better with some rifles than others.Not all of it is the rifle of course but you still have to confirm because the total package has to be tested.

Formidilosis and Mule Deer do a much better explanation over on the Light Rifles/Cold Temps thread.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/30/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For the most part 3 Nulas will go out to 300-normally as far as I can go-and hang with their 100yard standard and this is with 3-4 and 6x scopes for the most part. Providing I have an appropriate sized aiming point. Ringing 400yard 10 inch steel at another range is not all that difficult. Admittedly from a bench.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd not own a NULA, Kimber or Forbes. For that kind of money I'll be using a Kreiger or Bartlein, why risk the money on a sub-tier barrel. I don't the benchrest guys are running Douglas or Shaw.....grin

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Doug and Wally have always treated me well. I've yet to run into Shaw, but don't think I would worry about it all that much.... grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm giving thought to another sub-tier barrel...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For ease in cleaning up and not copper fouling, that particular .243W Kimber barrel is damn good.

Last edited by battue; 12/31/12.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have my eye on a couple of used Montana's--neither of which is in a caliber I want.....thinking a trip to IT&D could fix that. I'd finish the tube at .6 too.

Maybe my 2013 experiment?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I have my eye on a couple of used Montana's--neither of which is in a caliber I want.....thinking a trip to IT&D could fix that. I'd finish the tube at .6 too.

Please do one in 260 Rem and let me know how it turns out! wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have a .338Fed that Bruno is going to do exactly that this winter. Hart or Douglas whichever he can get first.

Really like the .338Fed, but it is not that much fun to shoot in a Montana.

Last edited by battue; 12/31/12.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by pointer

Please do one in 260 Rem and let me know how it turns out! wink

260 is the plan....this one is currently a 338 Federal. I agree with Battue...more "kick" than I need for KY whitetails. I need a light 260 anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have absolutely no doubt how this will work out. If you do it more will follow... cool

Dober

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like I'll have some info to work with in 2013! What bbl contours are each of you going with? Will you have to alter the stock? Though I've only handled a few MTs in a store, I think I'd like a bit more weight out front. I just can't decide if it'd be better to pay the extra for a custom contour (dupe factory till past forend then change taper to finish at .6ish) or to reshape the stock for a provided #2...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 35, 300jimmy, 41rem, 14 invisible), 1,248 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,454
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.