Print Thread
Hop To
C
CJ87 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Just bought a foxpro and decoy from the classifieds but trouble is I have idea how to hunt coyotes. I live in north Mississippi and have killed a good many checking cows or deer hunting but never actually tried to lure them in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated because i am totally green. Setup? Time of day or night? Sounds? Decoy?

GB1

C
CJ87 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Sorry I forgot to put in there I prolly will be packing my truck gun a browning micro 7-08. There is no need for the pelt as there is no market here. Will this be adequate for 400yd shots? Also what do you suggest for optics. Now it just has a 3-9x40 elite but leaning towards something else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's tough when you post something like you have. Guys don't have time to sit there and give you all the info you need. Check out Varmint Al's website. Lots of good info there. Then just get out there and try to call something in...

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
CJ87 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks, where to get info will be a great help.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Download some bird noises like woodpecker distress or any other sounds from birds in your area. Hell, it wouldn't hurt to try something the coyotes might have never heard. I use jackrabbit distress calls up here but since you don't have jackrabbits, try cottontail distress. Whitetail fawn distress will work too. Pretty much any thing that sounds like it is dying or hurt badly. Depending on when the breeding season is down there, coyote challenge sounds, female invitation calls and such will work also. Your 7-08 will be more than adequate for 400 yard shots if you are practiced enough to make the shot. If that's what you are comfortable with, by all means, use it. Set the caller and decoy up wind from you since the coyotes will try to circle down wind a lot. This will bring them in to you instead of down wind into your scent. I've called coyotes in during all times of the day. Haven't hunted them at night so I cant help ya there. Bottom line is just get out there and try. There are no cut and dry methods. Coyotes like any animal can be smarter than he'll or dumb as a rock. A lot of times, it just depends on how hungry they are. Get out and try and let us know how it goes. Don't forget pictures!

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The best advice I can give you is go to buy "So You Want To Be A Predator Caller" DVD from Tony Tebbe. It's one of the best educational DVDs that's actually helpful and enjoyable to watch. I've been yote huntin for over 20 years and I still learned things from Tony's DVD. I enjoyed his DVD so much that I'm actually goin to New Mexico to hunt with Tony in the next couple months.

Save a rabbit... Bust a yote!!!!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Might check your state reg's before you try calling at night. Legal in some, not in others. Kansas allows night hunting, but we can't use lights of any kind.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

360 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,433
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.