Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead

John has always been good at cutting through the BS and not following mantra.

Agree. John and Wayne VanZowell are about the only two that if I see their name will purposefully buy the magazine. Most times it will be for that particular article only.

Rick: What are your thoughts on weighing and matching case volume for your LR loading? Not a BR or LR shooter, but it would seem if you load the exact same charges in cases of different volumes things just went out the window.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Its irrelevant to me, I'm not truly "long" range for anything other than play. 600 is my limit on killing. I don't mind the thought of taking a chance on that last 100 yards. grin Yawl got me wanting to throw some charges tonight wink I secretly have been wanting to trash the Chargemaster in the last few years.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I got enough wiggle in me to destroy a single digit ES.

When a guy works up is magical handcrafted load, shoots them one every 5 minutes, in late August, it tells you a lot about that load, when shot every 5 minutes, in late August.

Everything changes everything and although many are slight changes, enough of them together makes a difference.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't weigh cases. I have seen difference in load performance at long range with as little as .2 grains in cases with similar volume to the 6.5 Creedmoor

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
As I mentioned to battue in another thread, I'd sooner shoot a critter at 20 yards than I would 500. That ain't nothing against shooting long.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Its irrelevant to me, I'm not truly "long" range for anything other than play. 600 is my limit on killing. I don't mind the thought of taking a chance on that last 100 yards. grin Yawl got me wanting to throw some charges tonight wink I secretly have been wanting to trash the Chargemaster in the last few years.

Only way I know to ensure I'm not tempted to use something again.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by the_shootist
A friend of mine loaded with them for years, and I tried to get them to work, but I never got the thing down close enough to satisfy myself, and I was always trying loads that I couldn't get with the scoop sets. Just an old dummy, I guess. wink

They are a nostalgic item for me now. Early on I learned to ignore the Lee chart and made my own with the specific powders I wanted to use.

When I was a Hunter Safety Instructor, I held an optional class to introduce students to handloading. Used the dippers along with examples of other powder measures. The kids preferred the dippers.

My Dad and Granddad made their own dippers from shells with wire handles soldered to the case.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Shootist,

As I mentioned earlier on this thread, I've owned a Lee Dipper set for many years. Mostly I use it when working up loads, and found that if I tilt the dippers a certain amount I can come very close to the desired charge. Then I top it off with a trickler.

With finer-grained powders the dippers can work pretty darn well. In fact I found one of the smaller ones throws 13.0 grains of Li'l Gun, exactly what I use in the .22 Hornet with 40-grain bullets. That's just by burying the dipper in the powder and pulling it out upright.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
rcmuglia,

In the article I specifically talk about the possilbe effect of thrown charges in long-range shooting. I believe the specific example I used was my 6.5-06, where I load 56 grains of H1000 with 140-grain bullets. If I weigh the charges, the rile will group three shots into something less than 1/2 MOA out to 600-700 yards.

If I threw them with my old measure (the one called Brand X) in the article) I'd get about a .5-grain variation, or even a little more. This would open up groups at least an inch at 600-700, mostly by vertical dispersion.

After using better powder measures in other loading for the past year or so, I'm now eager to try throwing loads for the 6.5-06 and seeing what happens. Have just about shot up my supply of loads put together with the old measure and will be doing that sometime soon--but in the article I certainly didn't suggest throwing loads for 1000-yard competition.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As a more general comment, this thread could have been a lot shorter if people who haven't read the article had done so before posting.

One of the reasons I started posting on the Campfire over a decade ago, after lurking for a while, was the day when somebody posted about an article of mine they'd liked. The poster tried to summarize a 3000-word article in two sentences, and of couse created a sh'tstorm of comments from people who'd never read the article, almost all of which made vast assumptions about the article's contents. This was partly due to the 2-sentence summation not being entirely correct, but it was also due to the tendency of Internet posters to start typing without knowing exactly what in hell everybody's talking about.

There are moments on "Ask the Gunwriter's" where I feel like posting the article in question, whether mine or some other gunwriter's. But that's not why magazines pay us to wrote for THEM.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I need to resubscribe to Handloader and Rifle, but for now I will put my money where my mouth is and buy this issue from the news stand as soon as it arrives here.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
John,

It does little good to defend anything on the net. Your friends trust you and don�t need an explanation. The skeptics will only use what you say against you anyway.

But that said. Thanks for posting here and sharing your knowledge with us. It is much cheaper time and money wise to read your results than doing all the testing for myself. Please keep posting here. I for one need and use your knowledge. I too, buy the mags because you have an article in it. Keep up the good work.

Richard

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I read the article.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
rcmuglia,

In the article I specifically talk about the possilbe effect of thrown charges in long-range shooting. I believe the specific example I used was my 6.5-06, where I load 56 grains of H1000 with 140-grain bullets. If I weigh the charges, the rile will group three shots into something less than 1/2 MOA out to 600-700 yards.

If I threw them with my old measure (the one called Brand X) in the article) I'd get about a .5-grain variation, or even a little more. This would open up groups at least an inch at 600-700, mostly by vertical dispersion.

After using better powder measures in other loading for the past year or so, I'm now eager to try throwing loads for the 6.5-06 and seeing what happens. Have just about shot up my supply of loads put together with the old measure and will be doing that sometime soon--but in the article I certainly didn't suggest throwing loads for 1000-yard competition.

Thanks John. I haven't read the article as you can probably tell. I subscribe to Rifle Magazine. My comments were simply based upon my experience and the experience of some folks I know and shoot with.

I'm shooting games/hunting at ranges where precision in all facets is necessary and well beyond what 99.5% of recreational shooters and hunters need to do to enjoy rolling and shooting their own.

I have known that throwing charges is common in the benchrest game and we all know the kind of accuracy they get smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I did mention that! But also emphasisized the difference between short- and long-range benchrest shooting.

One of major points of the article was how many hunters think weighing every charge is essential to getting sub-inch groups in their factory deer rifles--when it ain't.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yeah, I did mention that! But also emphasisized the difference between short- and long-range benchrest shooting.

One of major points of the article was how many hunters think weighing every charge is essential to getting sub-inch groups in their factory deer rifles--when it ain't.

Yep. I've shot enough sub .75 MOA five shot groups at 300 yards with thrown charges of crunchy 3031 and a 6x scope to know if your deer rifle won't go below an inch at a hundred it ain't thrown charges or lack of magnification holding it back. grin

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
As a more general comment, this thread could have been a lot shorter if people who haven't read the article had done so before posting.

Which is kinda what I said. wink

Originally Posted by the_shootist
Fellas, you owe it to yourself to buy the magazine and read the article. Like all of the stuff John writes that I have read, it is certainly worth the time, and it answers a lot of the questions. That was my intent on starting this thread.

Funny how that stuff works out. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
As usual JB nailed it. Every few years I'll do a thrown verses weighed charges experiment, usually the thrown charge groups are more accurate.Why? probably just too small of sampling there is probably no real difference. I think we used to weigh charges because it was one of the variables we could control trying get poorly bedded actions shooting mediocre bullets to shoot tighter. Old long grain H4831 and IMR4064 shooting near max charges are the only loads I would weigh anymore. I don't use those type loads very often anymore so the issue has been long settled for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For "normal" hunting and ranges, throwing is fine.

For 1K BR, I hope all my competition throws as well......

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

This is exactly what I was taught by Master Sergeant Lambert (who, BTW, has a brother named Jack who chunks a football passably well) at SOTIC on Smoke Bomb Hill in 1987. When he and his buddies shot for beer at 1000yd though, they weighed the charges when they made mexican match out of M118 and 190gr Sierras.

I've always heard that Tubb shoots nothing but Dillon measure dropped charges....except at 600yd.

I think there might be a lesson or two there.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

378 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 39 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,330
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.