24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read the article, enjoyed it, agreed with it based on my experience, and then got the itch for a Redding BR3 measure. I've got (had) an old Belding & Mull with two drop tubes on the bench along with a Lyman #55 on the bench. The B&M is the most accurate measure I've used with extruded powders and is pretty much perfect with ball and short-cut powders. But it's slow and awkward to use and because I have a neuro-muscular condition that reduces my hand strength endurance, I just sold that measure for $110 to help pay for the Redding. I'll compare the Redding and Lyman when the green one shows up... Thanks for another great article John!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
BP-B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I tried to get a copy, but it wasn't at the usual store. Have to look a little harder.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Get it online, I did. Fast, cheap and easy. You don't even have to leave the house. http://www.riflemagazine.com/subscription/subscript.cfm

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
John,
Kinda figured after I posted I should have read the article first. Normally not that quick on the keyboard.
At this point in life since I am satisfied simply hitting a 12" steel plate at 500 yards weighing powder charges isn't a big deal. Throwin them is way easier!

Dave

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dave,

Heck, if I can hit a 12" plate at 100 yards I'm happy!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

Do you know what number Lee scoop gives you 13.0 grains of Lil Gun?

Thanks,
Steve

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I just finished the article and it (as usual for JB) puts the issue of weighing charges into prospective. When setting up to charge cases, I weigh each charge while setting the meter and then throw 4-5 more to confirm the setting. I again weigh each tenth or so charge to confirm that nothing has changed.

I rarely load maximum charges; generally, I load lesser charges for rifle and handgun cartridges. If I want more performance, I'll shoot a larger cartridge. Reduced charges are easier on everything.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by prm
I tried to get a copy, but it wasn't at the usual store. Have to look a little harder.

or, go on-line to Wolfe Publishing Company and subscribe. It'll be the best money spent!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I could never understand why people check every tenth charge to make sure nothing has changed. confused

If you have kept the right amount of powder in it, used the same throwing technique, and haven't changed the setting on the measure, then why would it change? If it does come up with a different charge, are you going to dump the last 10 cases and start over?

If your charge weights are varying that much, either your throwing technique needs changed, or your measure needs upgraded.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

In my set it's scoop 052, the 3rd from the bottom. But I've had my scoops for at least 25 years and have no idea if they still use the same sizes and numbering system.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by FC363
I could never understand why people check every tenth charge to make sure nothing has changed. confused

If you have kept the right amount of powder in it, used the same throwing technique, and haven't changed the setting on the measure, then why would it change? If it does come up with a different charge, are you going to dump the last 10 cases and start over?

If your charge weights are varying that much, either your throwing technique needs changed, or your measure needs upgraded.

Setting on mine is held in place by a lock nut. I'm always checking if I tightened it sufficiently. Weigh every 10 throws or so to confirm again in my mind that what I started with is what I really want. At the same time I take another glance at the bottle to confirm that is the powder I want. Perhaps the one you checked is the one that bridged in the tube-have had it happen. Final step is a look into each case to ensure they are all to the approximate same level in the case.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks John,

I'll try it and weigh the charges.

I have a set that probably goes back to about then, plus some recent ones.

Steve

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
John,

I purchased the magazine in question just for this article, and found it useful, thanks for writing it. I have been running tests with my powder measures, and asking friends with different models to do the same.

Would you mind answering a couple questions about your data? I'm using your numbers as a point of comparison but could not find in the article some of the details. Specifically regarding the powder variation numbers shown in the second table, I gather that those numbers display total variation, not +/-, correct? Is this an average, a standard deviation, or the extreme spread? Also, how many data points did you collect to determine them?

And of lesser concern, but I am still curious, did you discount throws where the extruded powder kernals were cut hard by the measure? I used to toss those ones out when loading, but in my measurements so far, they seem to fall in with everything else.

Thank you,
Carl

Empirical results rule!
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Excellent article. All should read it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It must suck to be a gunwriter these days. First you have to submit a solid article that actually sells print magazines, then you have to double your word count re-stating same on the internet! smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
That's good, Talus. laugh

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.