Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I am wanting/needing an AR pretty badly. After I'd initially handled the Remington R-15 in in the carbine model with collapsible stock, I just had to have one. Been wanting one ever since last Christmas.

Now the longer I think about it the hard the decision is to make. I love everything about the R-15 EXCEPT the camo finish and the single stage trigger. And it's the cheapest, as I am really broke, but am about to say F it and put one on a card.

I know the Bushmaster is about the same rifle and the R-15 is a Bushy. But in handling the Bushmaster Predator, it seems the barrel diameter underneath the handguard is a large, 1" diameter and a bit bulky.

And I have never handled a Rock River anything, but the Ergo grip, larger trigger guard, 1-8 twist are all appealing. Not sure I like any stock that come with it from the factory.

And night calling is legal here in WA, so I am pretty set on wanting just a small picatinny on the forend to mount a light. I think both the R-15 and Bushy Predator have this. Not sure if the RRA can be drilled and tapped.

Accuracy is paramount, as non accurate guns are not fun.

Thoughts on the best choice? I'd guess the standard R-15 that I initially wanted had all the stuff I need/want, and I could just paint it black???? Just hate having stuff that doesn't match, so it will have a big black Leupold on the top of it one way or another.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Personally I trust RRA barrels and triggers more than Bushy or Rem stuff...

As to same color.. if hte scope is different color than the gun, thats breaking up the pattern even more.... solid black stands out bad IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A can of Krylon goes a long way...

The Bushmaster predator will weigh more due to the barrel and stay away from their 2 stage trigger, it's junk.

The R-15 seems to shoot pretty well but I hate the camo too.

RR would be one to look at, since you're on a budget, that leaves out Noveske Rouge Hunter which is worth a look though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jesse, out of what you listed, I would, without a doubt go RRA with the two stage.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I pondered the same scenario just a few months ago. I had one important criteria...the rifle couldn't stick out past the tires on my ATV, which meant 16" A2 stock or 20" collapsible. I ended up building a rifle with a RRA Coyote Rifle upper and MagPul CTR collapsible stock. It seems like it would be muzzle heavy, but with optics and a magazine, it balances nicely. You mentioned the RRA Coyote rifle and a 1:8 twist...the Coyote is a 1:9, the predator pursuit is 1:8. You might check into that if the twist rate is a deciding factor for you.

I put a Bill Springfield-tuned single stage trigger in mine. It's a nice clean break, but too heavy. If I had it to do all over again, I would just buy a RRA Predator Pursuit w/ two stage and be done.

I, myself, really like the camo R-15 (I like the barrel profile ALOT, either 18 or 22"). I would strongly consider one of them and drop a two-stage RRA trigger in it. In fact, if Cabelas ever has a great deal on the carbine (18") I may just have to have one

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Yeah, I know about Cabelas and would have scooped one if they ever had a sale rather than piss around with an FFL guy, shipping, etc.

The 1-8 vs 1-9 is not a deal breaker but it is a Buzz Kill. I have the 75 Amaxes for my 223 AI and like them a lot. The 9 twist is questionable in my experience.

And I would prefer the MagPul over anything else.......I hate to buy the whole package and then have to swap stuff and buy extra.

And that thin barrel profile of the R-15 is what got me all started, since I intend to snowshoe for predators this winter, I don't want to pack a 10 pounder. I had a DPMS prior. But it had the over 1" tube on it and was clunky and unwieldly. Not again.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just a mention, the 75 A-max's don't work too well in a standard AR magazine. The case mouths don't touch the bullet and while some say it works they scare me.

Load one at 2.260" and see what I mean before you base your purchase on these bullets.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Rock River Coyote would be my choice in a factory AR for calling.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might look into a S&W Magpul MOE version. Think it might be ideal for what you're talking abuot. Just get the appropriate Krylon matte for the season and AO.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
RRA Predator Pursuit.......

I've been so overwhelmed with fake news that I'm now nuts. Let's go Brandon
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
RRA has a new 18", 8 twist, mid length upper with a half quad rail that looks like it would be perfect for an all around coyote/ hunting / whatever rifle.

In fact, I have built more than a few uppers for guys with a different handrail, but basically the same features. The SPR type setup is quite popular with guys who run their guns professionally.

RRA has built a winner there. We will see if it ends up being popular.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Yeah, I've been on the RRA site a few times in the last week. Checked it out last night and saw that. Must be brand new. Was also thinking it would be pretty much what I want.

Wondering why their accuracy guarantee is less with that model though? The others are 3/4 MOA. That one says 1 MOA.

Would like to call and ask for a weight and barrel profile also.

Not a fan at all of muzzle breaks or flash suppressors, but I would guess it's threaded on and easy to get a cap protector for.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That is an HBAR profile on the tube pictured. I am betting it is the same tube used on their other mid lengths.

Here is a pic of a 16" RRA upper, built pretty close to what they are offering. It was a special order from RRA and the said 1" guarantee. It shoots tiny, tiny groups.

In this pic it is wearing a 6.5x20 VX3. I temporarily put it on there due to wanting to see what its accuracy potential was. Normally it wears a 2.5x10 IOR.

On the bags:

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Little better pic wearing the IOR:

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What barrel is it listed with and is it a chrome lined or not? That might be the accuracy difference.

Generally speaking if its a Wilson tube, it should get to half moa with the right loads for the majority of the barrels... Thats speaking at 100 now... I know many that hold that accuracy further out too, IF the owner has tuned the gun so there are no issues and is a good reloader and shooter.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Says 18" heavy match stainless steel. 1-8" twist, which I'd prefer for some reason.

Looks almost identical to how Mackay has his rifle set up. Different stocks though.

Think I will be set to pull the trigger on it...literally. More than I wanted to spend by a bit, but I haven't gotten the wholesale numbers on it yet.

Trigger says RRA 2 stage, ERGO grip(that I would have to purchase seperately-since that's the one I wanted anyhow). Plus free shipping and free scope mount if I get an order in soon.

If I can find a way to put it on a card, I'd do it this week. If I found out my horses sold, I'd do it today.
And most of what I have researched and read is the accuracy is almost always there, where as Bushy and the R-15 are usually good, but no guarantee.

And since only accurate rifles are fun, that's the way I need to go. It will be a shooter/hunter, not something I just want to hose stuff off with. I can go full auto here at work, and it's a novelty that wears off after you do it a few times.

I'd much rather run a 62grn TSX through a bobcat or cougar at 200 yards and dump him than burn 100 rounds full auto. Much bigger chubby with the former too me.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You can know this at least... if the barrel doesn't work, you are only a rebarrel away from being about as good as you can get.

RRA has issues with some parts at times, like most do, but generally speaking if it won't shoot the way you want it to, hang onto it and slap a new Krieger or Rock or such on it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TTT

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No guns. No peace. No safety.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The answer today is whatever you can get your hands on.

I had a RRA predator persuit and while it would shoot nice bug hole groups, it was nose heavy. I don't think any manufacturer builds exactly what I want and would say getting an SPR or SDM barrel from WOA and building an upper with a midlength tube and either a hogue forearm or lightweight rail would be the ticket.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Wasn't a player when this was 1st posted but you need to include the Windham Varmint Exterminator also

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.