Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I sincerely appreciate the input Sir but the Dakota's are not available in stainless (from what I could see) and at $6,000 starting price are as completely out of my reach as having my G33/40 action turned into a custom rifle. Thanks for providing some additional food for thought.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sidepass
Karnis, that the factory finnish on that beauty or did you redo it? I have an 84l select in 30-06 and a 257 Bob in the same, both purdy but not quite what you have there. 280 AI is calling, was thinking Montana but now rethinking after seeing that beauty.

Truth be told, I scratched it down and added some oil. eek Mo'betta on the contrast. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gman-I'll add a couple of comments. I've had the pleasure to own and run a G33/40 for 2 decades now. And though I have a find piece of Tessier for it I've always run it with a Brown stock as for me it's a pure plain hunting machine tool. Plus to be honest I've never had the interest in sinking the kind of cheddar into the wood handle that it would take to get it nice.

[Linked Image]

I'm of the opinion that if I'm gonna run a wood gun that's it's gonna be nice (by my way of thinking)..something like my 7 Mashburn Super here

[Linked Image]

I've been around the various Montana's quite a bit including the 280 AI. 4 me the 84L action just doesn't do anything for me. Does it work, it sure does but it just doesn't feel right to me.

I own a Montana in .308 and it's nice but once again the diff between how a Montana runs and how a fine Mauser runs is night and day. To me it's kind of like ones a quarter pounder with cheese and the others filet. Both will fill me up but there is a diff.

For the money the Kimber is a lot of gun, plus it's readily available and people don't have to wait for it. Nor do they need to stretch their imagination and or pocket book to get one. It's nice but to me it's a cookie cutter rig. But it will do the hunt job just fine It's a darn adequate rifle is what I'm trying to say.

I wouldn't turn a fine action like the G33 into an AI and I love AI rounds. I've known it done though so if that's the way you choose then Powder River Let er Buck and get after it.

Sounds like you're leaning to the Kimber and it'll do you just fine.

But, if you wish to go the way of the G33 you could always stick a fine piece of African Walnut on it for now (fiberglass) and then find a good stick later on. Chic Worthing would do a mighty fine job for you. I came darn close to sending him mine.

Best of luck to you in your decision and have a super 13!

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 01/01/13.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Dober, that Mashburn is pretty enough to make a nun drop her drawers.... ! Damn, that is a FINE looking rifle...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Interesting thread, am in a similar position myself. Really want to get a Kimber, but still sounds iffy as far as accuracy goes. If it doesn't shoot under and inch, more often than not, I don't want it no matter how good it looks or how light it is.

Might end up going to a Cooper with guaranteed accuracy rather than guessing on a Kimber.

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 56 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.