Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Who has and likes scopes on their Turkey guns? I have a Rem870 and may want to put a scope on it. My eyes ain't what they used to be lol.

Anyone tried a Nikon TurkeyPro scope on a shotgun? Or do you use the standard duplex reticle for a turkey scope? Is Aimtech and B-square the only ones makingmounts for 870's?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would use a red dot or holographic on a shotgun... but that's me.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
we do cool one on a moss 500 and a 835 both wearing pentax lightseeker plus 2.5x deepwoods plex love them

Last edited by ldholton; 01/02/13.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use a 2-7 bushnell elite on a 870 super mag SP. it came with a cantelever barrel. I like it very much. It is usually only on 3 power but enough to help find a curious head.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Unfortunately Nikon no longer makes the Turkey Pro scope, but it can be found without to much searching. I have used it on my Benelli Nova with great success. Quick and accurate target acquisition make it easy to use. My wife and son always choose to use it as well.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/BenellinTurkeyPro.jpg

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I prefer red dots on turkey rigs. I don't find magnification necessary or desirable for shots to 40-50yds. Red dots allow me to easily keep both eyes open while shooting. They are also more forgiving than either beads or scopes when it come to shooting form. Turkey often reveal themselves from unanticipated directions and angles, especially if they have to negotiate cover while coming. As a result, it seems like I kill at least one bird a year while I'm all twisted-up. Before I went to dots, I found it tough to get the sight picture in a scope or get my head down enough for the bead.

Even so, scopes are still superior than a bead in my experience. I can see myself migrating that way as my eyes age too. Just make sure to get one with plenty of eye relief. I've seen scopes equipped with turkey reticles having eye relief less than 3.5". I don't want a scope like that on a 12ga running 2oz+ of shot. It's a cut eyebrow and stitches just waiting to happen.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Opened fiber optic for me...a scope just adds more weight,can get fogged up in the rain and just isn't as quick on target

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Started out with a Bushnell and a circle + reticle, went to a Leupold 1-4 turkey reticle and now have a 2-7 Leupy with the same reticle. Just a whole lot easier for me to pick my shot better and precisely.

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have both the Nikon Turkey Pro and a Burris FFII. Like them both. I have the NTP on my 3.5 BPS for when i'm hunting fields with longer shots and the FFII on my Mossberg Super Bantam. Super light and easy to carry when runnin and gunnin. The FFII is extremely easy to aquire quick aiming. If i had to choose one though id pick the FFII hands down.

Roy

Last edited by RTSJ; 01/04/13.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I guess if eyes are a problem, red dot is the only way that would make sense to me. I don't run them, I sure don't want to try taking a bird on the wing with a scope atop my shotgun.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess it depends on how bad your eyes are. If you can't see clearly enough with your distance prescription to identify the bird, then perhaps it's time to consider giving up shooting because you won't be able to identify what's in the background either.

If the problem is that you can see the bird with your distance prescription, but you can't see the sights with it, that's a common problem. I solved it with a set of fiber optic open sights. I don't hunt with open sights any more with a rifle, but I can put the red blur between the two green blurs well enough to hit a turkey inside 50 yards with a shotgun.

Last edited by natman; 01/05/13.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As I got older, the fiber optic sight got a little more fuzzy than I liked , so I bought a Nikon 2 x 7 and got some see thru rings , all in camo for my Ithaca turkey slayer. Problem solved. I took a bird last year at 50 yds. I use extended range 3 in. shells , with an .860 ported choke. Big medicine for hung up toms. Love my gun/scope combo. [Linked Image]

Last edited by knifeshark; 01/05/13.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by natman
I guess it depends on how bad your eyes are. If you can't see clearly enough with your distance prescription to identify the bird, then perhaps it's time to consider giving up shooting because you won't be able to identify what's in the background either.

If the problem is that you can see the bird with your distance prescription, but you can't see the sights with it, that's a common problem. I solved it with a set of fiber optic open sights. I don't hunt with open sights any more with a rifle, but I can put the red blur between the two green blurs well enough to hit a turkey inside 50 yards with a shotgun.
you have not hunted in turkey coutry have you ? take a pile of 6-8 gobblers and use your bead to help pick out the best one and pick an open shot so as you dont smak more than one

Last edited by ldholton; 01/05/13.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've considered the Burris Fastfire II and a scope, but I've had such success with the fiber optic "rifle" style sights that I've stuck with them on both of my turkey shotguns. I'll reconsider that if my eyesight degrades.

A hunting partner uses the red dot style sight and loves it. I've seen his patterns and birds and agree.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ldholton

you have not hunted in turkey coutry have you ? take a pile of 6-8 gobblers and use your bead to help pick out the best one and pick an open shot so as you dont smak more than one

I've already said what you should do if you can't see well enough to hunt. You shouldn't be doing your scouting with the scope mounted on your gun.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ldholton

I've already said what you should do if you can't see well enough to hunt. You shouldn't be doing your scouting with the scope mounted on your gun.

There's a big difference in what he stated here and a scope as bins to "scout."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like a red dot, and put a speed bead on my Benelli SBE. They sit extremely low, weigh next to nothing and because of their mount, they do not interfere with carrying your gun.

Whether you use a scope or some kind of a red dot, you can't beat the versatility of being able to make adjustments to your shot pattern to fully utilize the densest part of the pattern.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BlueK9
I prefer red dots on turkey rigs. I don't find magnification necessary or desirable for shots to 40-50yds. Red dots allow me to easily keep both eyes open while shooting. They are also more forgiving than either beads or scopes when it come to shooting form. Turkey often reveal themselves from unanticipated directions and angles, especially if they have to negotiate cover while coming. As a result, it seems like I kill at least one bird a year while I'm all twisted-up. Before I went to dots, I found it tough to get the sight picture in a scope or get my head down enough for the bead.

This. Been very happy with my Burris FF II. When I started shooting TSS and these tight patterns, I quickly learned I couldn't use a bead or open sights. I knew I had to go to a red dot or scope. I didn't like the scope as sometimes when hunting you can't get in a position to get your head all the way down on the gun and the turkey in the scope. With the red dot, once it's set you just find the dot and squeeze. Your head doesn't have to be all the way down on the gun and can use it with both eyes open. I really like the versitilty of mine.

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ever shot one flying with a scope?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ever shot one flying with a scope?

I have with my red dot.....actully three.

NRA Life Member
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 21, 12308300, 68 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.