B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EddyBo
Must be one of swampy's old remingtons.

Yep.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
You really need to work on the load.

Have you fully prepped the brass?
1. Uniform Primer pockets
2. De-burr flash holes
3. Neck turn and inside neck ream to no more than .003" neck thickness
4. Trim all brass exactly after using chamber length gauge
5. Chamfer with VLD tool
6. Anneal
7. Use redding FL bushing die for .001" neck tension
8. Stoney Pointe tool to determine OAL. Ruger's like no more than .01263" of jump!
9. Polish with stainless steel media with cat litter buffer
10. Use only Winchester 209 shotshell primers. Don't ask me why, I just know. If you can't get them to seat, refer to "Handloading for Dummies" manual
11. Use mica dry lube after you polish the inside of the necks with fine steel wool
Then seat bullets. Use only Winchester bulk bullets. Awesome! Seat bullets pointy end first. Micrometer SEATER die will help
12. I forgot. Lyman dippers for charging cases. Level off with pocket knife
13. Check concentricity of each loaded round. If more than .0002" exists, use collet bullet puller and disassemble rounds and start over. Try to diagnose where you went wrong.

If really master this process, your gun should shoot around .9" groups

Oh, I just read that it is already shooting .8" now.

NEVERMIND!

laugh

You guys crack me up- everyone knows that you can't seat bullet pointy side down with .01263" of jump! The ogive won't have sufficient neck tension to be concentric to the bore. You're going to have this poor kid so confused about reloading, shooting, etc.... he'll be afraid to drop his pants to crap in the woods without checking in with the forum first..... wink

Bob

WTF, I thought that's why we have our smiths add more freebore. Nothing like a loooooong throat...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can tell by the way he wears his hat that he seats bullets the way I recommend.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My god. Some of the people on here crack the best jokes.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
If you don't believe me I can email you a picture of the group, had a couple <1 MOA groups but I kept the best one. Although that was a pretty hilarious post if I do say so.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I can tell by the way he wears his hat that he seats bullets the way I recommend.

I look at the cut of his jib, it's much more telling.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

I look at the cut of his jib, it's much more telling.

Yep

Shoots in his bath robe. Comfortable enough to simply dip the 7892sdsc

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He throws his charges of 7892sdsc (wayyy slower burning than Retumbo, and super duper short cut) I believe. Says his ES stays well below 3.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, that explains it. Those new IMR powders sure are versatile.

He likes to cant the rifle, huh? Must have something to do with the hat or maybe the ugly angle of the targets on that slope.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ask Kawi, he'll know.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many shots in your best group and how many groups did you fire? Apart from setting some sort of record, what's important is the size of group you can reliably fire. Without getting too deep into statistics, if you fired 5 groups and averaged their size what would it be? If it's under 1 MOA you have a fine shooting gun. Apart from getting a better scope and playing with the loads I would leave it alone as you might free float the barrel and find you get worse accuracy.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
On average I would say that 1 inch groups are average. I'm not the greatest shot, but i'm confident I can outshoot that rifle. My question is, do i need to bother upgrading anything considering it's already shooting better than what it's supposed to? I honestly don't know if I were to throw a Nightforce on it it would help anything.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would stick a Hensoldt up top and watch it shine.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BagABuck
i'm confident I can outshoot that rifle.

That's no big deal, I'm always outshooting my rifles. They're only MOA rifles, but I can shoot 'em at a half inch.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

That's no big deal, I'm always outshooting my rifles. They're only MOA rifles, but I can shoot 'em at a half inch.

LOL!!! You ain't right...... grin

Last edited by snuzem; 01/07/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On average I would say that 1 inch groups are average. I'm not the greatest shot, but i'm confident I can outshoot that rifle. My question is, do i need to bother upgrading anything considering it's already shooting better than what it's supposed to? I honestly don't know if I were to throw a Nightforce on it it would help anything.

You can always experiment with loads just for the fun of it, but when it comes to spending money on a gun that already shoots better than expected it comes down to what you want to use that gun for, how much money you have, and what you're getting for your money. If it's a rifle you intend to use a lot then a better scope might be worthwhile, particularly given how you described the current scope.

I see ads where manufacturers brag about 3 shot MOA groups such as on page 71 of the February issue of Guns & Ammo. People on this forum would consider that a starting point rather than something to be proud of. What it tells me, however, is that it's not easy to manufacture hunting rifles with sub-MOA accuracy. You could spend good money on your old rifle and find that it's no more accurate than it is now and maybe a lot worse.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The very mark of a man who is at the top of his game judging those by the cut of their jib.

laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No big deal, I stuck a Hensoldt on it like Tanner said. NEF single shot.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Hensoldt was designed for the NEF single shot. whistle

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know, I was on the design team.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 70 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.