Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've been skewering the raccoons off of my corn feeder at night with a light made in Texas called the "kill light" it's a great invention. A green beam of really bright light animals cannot see.

I've really put a hurt on the coon population. I would post photos but every one has been a slick trick in the skull. Not Internet appropriate, at least with my name attached. They get to the feeder after dark at 20 yards plus or minus. Makes shooting a deer hog or bear a piece of cake, after the head shots.

I sprung for a redneck predator blind last year. It's more then paid for itself for the time spent warm and dry. Plus those corner bow windows are flawless. As much as I hate those coons they have been a great hunting target this winter.

I'm going to plant 2 acres of tridicalia around this box blind for the deer and turkeys in late winter.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
BP-B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I wouldn't mind hearing more about the green light. How does it work? Where did you get it?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
J,
we had a pile of them around the feeders when I went to Texas. That is a great practice shot for the pigs.

Those lights make a good case for why the wardens are so strict about Jack lighting deer.

The pigs just dont care when you light them up with the green.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I wouldn't mind hearing more about the green light. How does it work? Where did you get it?

This looks like the link to the light:

http://www.texasdirecthunting.com/servlet/the-109/ewt-kill-light-led/Detail

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
One notable difference in this.

Spotlighting or "jack lighting" stuns and holds steady a deer to make it a stationary helpless target.

The use of the green light does not it has absolutely no effect on an animal. They don't know the light is on. It's like a person wearing night vision to see game. The animals just go on about their business doing whatever they were.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Sounds like a lot of fun. Does the light mount to your bow?

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There are two types. A feeder mounted light with an opto coupler that switches on at dark. Or with a wireless remote.

The other is a bow mount for the stabilizer hole with a grip mounted pressure switch. After you draw, and get generally on target you can grip the handle to engage the light.

I usually engage the light well above the target and slowly lower it until I I can aim. You still need trijicon sight pins or lighted pins. To see your sights.

The sight pins need to be very dim. Bright pins blind you and obscure the target. I use a single pin sight with thee brightness settings. The dim one is all I ever use.

The bow mounted light is bright. With a gun you could easily shoot 100-200 yards. However with a bow it turns things to green daylight in front of you.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Do you use a string peep -if so what is the diameter ?
I read a larger than normal size peep is MUCH better than the fine 1/4" peep .

I've been doing my coon eradication with CCI 22lr "quiet" ammo .
Need to limber up the bow .
Thanks Mike

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
For those pesky coons after dark a larger peep may do the trick. But youll need some sort of reference to ensure the sight housing is centered in the peep. If not, your shot placement will not be consistant. The 1/4" peep generally works perfect on sight housings of 2". The 3/16" peep for the 1 5/8-1 3/4" housings. To my knowledge 5/16" is the largest peep diameter out there.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The peep for me has not been an issue, it's been installed so long now I actually don't recall the diameter.

I've been bow fishing almost every day for about a month and the Oneida osprey I use has no peep sight at all.

I will check the switchback and see which it has.

IC B3

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I did not want to post the after the hunt picture of this, but I was so curious about the results I had to have the beetles clean this for me. As you can see, the peep is not any concern.

The feeder Light and the lighted pin also works well. A nearly perfect between the eyes shot at somewhere between 20-22 yards. I'm anxious to use the trijicon sight for this as well on the hogs in Texas, and rabbits here in the snow at night during winter.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
280ackelized ,

Thanks .
I'm a 280 AI shooter -love that cartridge.

Thanks JJ .

I haven't even taken my bow out and tried to look through it at night -I live in town artificial light everywhere .

DakotaDeer ,
As far as lights go google 'ultra fire lights' -CHEAP but work real well. They have a 1" green light and lots of scope and mount to barrel mounts etc. -i'm going to mount one of these on my stabilizer .
You'll probably figure out where people starting night hunting light product companies are getting their lights. Don't mean to shoot them out of any business but hey it's the information age.
Some of the lights Ultra fire calls 'torches' are unbelievable a friend has one of their high powered torches [flashlight] WOW does it make a Maglite look silly.
This is a Chinese outfit but the guy sent a letter with my order telling me if I had any problems at all notify him and he'd make it right.

Another nice cheap light -look up 'sunforce' 60 led -motion sensor -solar lights .
These will come on when a critter approaches and have adjustable sensitivity and light on duration time adjustments -$38.
All animals will become desensitized to the blue-ish light.
I sit back 150yds from a feed location and when the Motion light comes on I know I have a customer.
I used these to kill 3 coons last week w/my cz 22lr shooting cci quiet ammo sounds like a pellet gun -shooting from a treestand at 35yds -not 150yds.
I use two of the sunforce $38 lights at my hog lease -I call it that b/c hogs eaten everything except the bears coyotes and big gators.
Mike

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

XLR 250 kill light. There are others out there, some may be better, but this is what I have and use on a rifle. They have an model 100 that is probably more suited to use on a bow.

http://www.elusivewildlife.com/catalog.php?p=windowPrintProduct&iProduct=261

Best

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
But youll need some sort of reference to ensure the sight housing is centered in the peep. If not, your shot placement will not be consistant.

The 1/4" peep generally works perfect on sight housings of 2". The 3/16" peep for the 1 5/8-1 3/4" housings. To my knowledge 5/16" is the largest peep diameter out there.

First statement not really true at all. I can easily prove that by simply afixing a match to a bow with or without a peep and as long as I get the tip of the match sighted correct I can shoot very consistant. However 280Ackleyrized would be very correct saying it aids in aquiring a consistant shot placement.

Spot on on the remainder of his post. I have seen peep's drilled out larger.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
737 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 85 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.