Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Here in Canada the Ranch Hands are classified as rifles. This makes them shortest legal bear protection outside of spray.

So I bought one. I find it's about as handy as a fence post to shoot but very compact to carry. The sight "regulation" is also about a foot high at 100 yards. I am going to get a 1/10th inch taller front sight and have ordered a full stock from Texas. I think as a 29" carbine this little fellow has some promise and will make a great caribou gun for my 10 year old son!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii9wfn8Q4sc&list=UUMrvqN2-Jr7OAnV0ceWlkmw&index=1

Part One = Pre-Stock Ranch Hand

Last edited by North61; 12/24/12.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd buy one IF I could legally replace the butt stock with a full length one.

This is NOT an option in the USA.

Virgil B.

N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I have read you can replace the stock for a 200.00 certification fee in the USA. Weird laws in both our countries I am afraid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by North61
I have read you can replace the stock for a 200.00 certification fee in the USA. Weird laws in both our countries I am afraid.

Yep, make it a short-barreled rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tell me more please about getting a stock " upgrade". Wife bought me a ranch hand in 44 mag and we both mentioned the same thing. A nice SBR.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You have to fill out a form and submit 200 dollars to the gubmint, wait forever, and when they send you a stamp, you can install the stock.

It's the same process as involved with silencers and full-autos. For a small fee, you are allowed to own weapons outlawed by the National Firearms act of 1934.

A couple of my friends have applied for and gotten permits for silencers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really? Right now it's considered a pistol and that's fine. I want to adda stock to make it more shoot able, also harder to hide and less concealable and I have to pay 200 and ask permission? Frick em

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yea, because if you add the stock, it becomes a short barreled rifle due to the barrel being under 16".

Oh, the paying 200 dollars and asking permission is just the start. You have to have the stamp with you anytime you take the weapon out, and if I'm correct, subjects you to less protection against search and stuff like that.

I kinda go along with your last sentence.

N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
In Canada it is considered a carbine to start with so I can just add the stock. If I had to keep it as a mares-leg I think 357 would be a better choice as it would be easier to shoot with a cheek weld.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Yea, because if you add the stock, it becomes a short barreled rifle due to the barrel being under 16".

Oh, the paying 200 dollars and asking permission is just the start. You have to have the stamp with you anytime you take the weapon out, and if I'm correct, subjects you to less protection against search and stuff like that.

I kinda go along with your last sentence.

Set up a trust and include your family and anyone listed can be in possession of it. Make copies of the stamped paperwork and stick it in your wallet. You do not give up any rights.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B3

N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Couldn't wait for my stock to get here so I spliced on a piece of spruce to check the concept. Outstanding. 29.25" overall, still wonderfully compact and much easier to use. I'll replace this monstrosity when the walnut carbine stock gets here.

[Linked Image]

N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
This little carbine is the most fun I have had for a while. The 20" Twist stabalizes 300 grain Sierra's nicely. 1.630 is a nice OAL for feeding and I added a cannelure from my Corbin tool to get the Sierra's at that length. H4227 gives 3" groups at 75 yards which is as well as I can manage with the wonderfully crude sights. I replaced the rear sight with one I took off my 1895 Win in .405 and it sits about 1/10th of an inch lower. Now on the money with a home made elevator. The Big 300 grain bullets have low muzzle blast and the recoil is more of a push than a slap so quite fun to shoot. hey seem to hit hard though. Lots of fun!

Here it is to scale.

[Linked Image]

I'll replace the rear stock (and it's Spruce extension)with replacement walnut, when I inlet it to fit and get a recoil pad on it. So far the 2x4 extension works very well however.

Last edited by North61; 01/02/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've often said if we could take the best Canada has to offer and the best the USA has to offer and make up our own country it would be quite a country.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Well we are not out of the woods here in Canada yet, and likely never will be. Still lots of social engineering & gun-control forces left up here. We won a battle with the Registry. We will see how the war goes.

Good luck to my American friends. Your system of checks and balances protect you from hasty Federal action but if you ever do go down a dark road the same checks might make it harder to change back. Interesting times.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by North61
Well we are not out of the woods here in Canada yet, and likely never will be. Still lots of social engineering & gun-control forces left up here. We won a battle with the Registry. We will see how the war goes.

Good luck to my American friends. Your system of checks and balances protect you from hasty Federal action but if you ever do go down a dark road the same checks might make it harder to change back. Interesting times.

You are right about that. Getting laws passed is easy getting them repealed is near impossible.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So since Canada considers it a carbine and the US considers it a pistol, could I drive through Canada with it? I know it's still a pistol cartridge but......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see the utility in Canada, but cannot understand the attraction in the US. It is neither fish nor fowl.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its a very small group in the us that would actually have "need" for one. One i can think of is bush pilots. A compact survival gun ( required by law to have) that gives the extra bbl length over a standard pistol but yet small.

Me, its just a fun gun and i cant wait to knock over a deer with it.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have been thru BC many times, with firearms. I have never had any problems, as long as I abide by thier guidelines, and pay my fee per firearm, fill out the paper work. Crossing back into the U.S. is the problem!
Our azzes have to check to make sure you are not a felon, then they have to take at least a hour to run the serial #s on our guns. A real pain in the hinney!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool vid.

Here's what I took from it. It's a handy little carbine, IF you immediately replace and improve key features. And it functions well, IF you work the action in a VERY specific manner.

So in short, as shipped, it's a POS.

But seriously, I like the video. Thanks for doing that. I was considering one of these and have decided to pass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 73 invisible), 2,792 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.