Print Thread
Hop To
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Can anyone make a recommendation for a good soft shell jacket? It doesn�t have to be insulated or camo.

I am looking to refine my layering system and would like something water resistant (not necessarily water proof), resistant to abrasion/tearing, and will break the wind. I can stay pretty warm layered with a merino top, fleece and a down vest but the wind and potential wet (down) is problematic. I got this from Cabelas for a good price and it is nice and pretty close�.but pretty heavy at ~26oz (XL size).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Silent-Stalk174-Dry-Plus174-Uninsulated-Pullover/1381050.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dsilent%2Bstalk%2Bpullover%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=silent+stalk+pullover&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A good windshirt and a can of Scotchguard. Old school but it works okay, and nothing is lighter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KUIU guide jacket is nice, I have it and have been very pleased. Several good options from Mountain Hardwear and Arc'Teryx and Westcomb and Mammut.

Watch www.steepandcheap.com for great deals on closeouts

Join www.theclymb.com for other good deals

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I recently got a Kuiu DCS Guide jacket. Limited use, but so far I'm very pleased with it. Needs a real test to be sure though. I also have some merino wool layers and a Cabela's switzer pullover and between them I think it will be a great combination.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I really like my Core4 and have others, but the big side vents.
http://blackovis.com/core4element-element-jacket-1054

Good Shooting!
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My OTTE Gear DK Lite jacket is the single most-used and by far my favorite piece of layering clothing. They aren't cheap, but they are worth every penny. Love that jacket.

Edited to add.....

The DK is also MADE IN THE USA unlike much of the Chinese [bleep] on the market.

Last edited by greentimber; 01/07/13.

RLTW
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
"The DK is also MADE IN THE USA unlike much of the Chinese [bleep] on the market"

Which is 90% of what's out there including KUIU now. I will look into the OTTE.

Good Shooting!
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the input guys.

Looking at the specs for these jackets it appears the weight of this Cabela�s jacket is right in line with these products, and weight was my major concern initially. My friend loves his Sitka gear stuff but I found the cut of the clothes to be a little on the tight side. For the shell I really want something pretty loose fitting so when I layer up underneath it doesn�t get too tight or restrictive.

All these option look nice but I hate hoods and the Otte Gear is a bit cost prohibitive for me. I guess I�ll just give this jacket a go and see if I like it. My personal system now consists of an odd collection of high and low end stuff that works from me ranging from Kennetrek boots, to nylon fishing pants, and army surplus wool gloves. When it really gets nasty I usually break out my Go-lite poncho and hunker down.

Thanks again.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djb
Can anyone make a recommendation for a good soft shell jacket? It doesn�t have to be insulated or camo.

I am looking to refine my layering system and would like something water resistant (not necessarily water proof), resistant to abrasion/tearing, and will break the wind. I can stay pretty warm layered with a merino top, fleece and a down vest but the wind and potential wet (down) is problematic. I got this from Cabelas for a good price and it is nice and pretty close�.but pretty heavy at ~26oz (XL size).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Silent-Stalk174-Dry-Plus174-Uninsulated-Pullover/1381050.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dsilent%2Bstalk%2Bpullover%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=silent+stalk+pullover&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

You just described the Integral Designs jacket. Should still be available from Barney's in Anchorage. These jackets are very lightweight, made from primaloft and stay warm
when wet. BTDT. Get the style with the hood and carry it in a stuff bag. We take the jacket and the pants on sheep hunts in the Brooks and can siwash
on a mountain top with them in August. These are the survival gear I carry in my truck here during the real cold snaps we get. expensive but worth every penny.
Check out Barney's. Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love my Core 4 Element and Sitka 90% jackets, they block the wind well and keep me pretty dry when it rains, unless it is a diluge then I break out the Impertech.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the Kuiu Guide DCS jacket. Mine was produced in Canada before production was moved to China. With a down/puff/sprindrift jacket underneath for warmth it's perfect.

Eric

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My favorite is the Patagonia Houdini. Blocks wind alot better than you'd think. While not waterproof, it will keep you dry if you are on the move. That sounds wierd, but I've done it several times. They are very light, 3 ozs. or so, and roll up into a ball the size of an orange. Comes with a hood, of course.
Alot tougher than you'd think. I've worn and used the two I have alot more than I have their Rain shadow Parka, but the Rain Shadow Parka needs to have it's lining replaced. That they will do for free, BTW.
It is one of my few, "never leave home w/o it" garments. Even for my afternoon workout walks. E

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a SORD Hardface:
https://www.sordusa.com/product.php?productid=222&cat=51&page=1
Like it a lot and good customer service.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
85 members (338reddog, 308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.