Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
This is my second winter season shooting indoor 4-Position and I am in the market for a shooting glove: the type that you wear on your weak side hand against the sling hand stop and may look like an oven mitt, not the type tactical shooters wear. I personally like the appearance of the Creedmoor Open Finger shooting glove, but does anyone prefer the shooting mitt style and why? Given that you want to insulate your rifles forend from hand tremors, do you still prefer that your glove have a rubberized surface for grip?

One shooter recommended two types of gloves for position shooting. He wears as name brand smallbore glove for prone, sitting and kneeling and then switches to a mitt with a work glove underneath for offhand, but he didn't specify why.

Any advice backed by personal experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Brian

BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
unfortunately all I can add is what works for you. We tried mits, gloves, combos of them, one for this, one for that....

For me, I want more feel and contact for offhand. And for sling positions prefer the most bulky padding I could get.

Ends up we did most all our shooting with anschutz gloves only in the end. Compromise of sorts but worked for us very well.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL! I like more padding for offhand.

I like a sticky glove for everything else. Padding is 2ndary foe me.

Like Jeff said, you are going to have to use what you like.

I like fingerless if I'm going to be handling anything like ammo or pencils.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I do'nt handle ammo or pencils with my support hand.

And yeah, LOL on the offhand differences... I just found that the more close contact I had with the gun offhand, the beter I was, rahter than just a big blob out there and not being able to feel the gun and contact etc.

Do know those that shoot with batters gloves on the firing hand also. Tried and and simply never saw any benefit for that for me.

For me, the padding is an issue if you sling up the way you should for rapids... and even at times for prone slow though I try not to shoot slower than 22 in about 10-12 minutes max. (also aobut the length my eyes could hold up for slow prone)

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I am a little mystified as to the purpose of a glove in smallbore. There is no recoil to worry about. In 4-Position there is no rapid fire. But to a man at our club, all of the top 4-position shooters use a glove. It makes to me to insulate hand tremor from the forestock, but then why do some gloves come with rubberized palms? I figure there must be something to it if so many use a glove.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
you do have to maintain control of the gun regardless. Slipping is not an option. Though position guns are much more so set up that you can run the hand to the handstop generally, than my service rifle rules allow.

You do not wnat to transmit pulse or other movement though too. I have a bad pulse in my neck and in my stomach that I Have to protect against. The stomach one is related to other than standing and I cannot constrict it or it will bounce the gun. The neck one simply is keep the neck off the butt and all will be good.

The rubber is no different too than whats on your shooting pants and jacket.

We used to always use shooters sticky spray too, so that while we were sweating like a pig, you still could make sure nothing slipped as you were firing or in strings of rapid and so on due to recoil often. As you note smallbore isn't a recoil or rapid fire issue though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brian,
I've tried them all, open-finger, closed finger, high-dollar Sauer mitt, cheap mitt, mitt over a glove....all of them, and have settled on an open-finger Champion's Choice glove with the black "pebbly" grip. It's cheaper than the Anschutz's and even the Creedmoor, but is better built in my opinion.
Unlike Rost, I DO handle pencils, sling adjustments, everything, with my support hand quite often. You couldn't put me in a full-fingered glove for anything!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Last night was our shooting night at the club. Several of our members were shooting with welding gloves (suede leather); two having cut off the ends of the fingers and one shooting with the full glove. One shooter had an official fingerless shooting glove, maybe Anschutz, and one shooter was using a mitt, not sure of the brand.

Due to the holidays, we are a little light on shooters at the moment and have a few new shooters too.

I should check, but the Champion's Choice and Creedmoor are probably less expensive than a pair welding gloves.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Brian,
I've tried them all, open-finger, closed finger, high-dollar Sauer mitt, cheap mitt, mitt over a glove....all of them, and have settled on an open-finger Champion's Choice glove with the black "pebbly" grip. It's cheaper than the Anschutz's and even the Creedmoor, but is better built in my opinion.
Unlike Rost, I DO handle pencils, sling adjustments, everything, with my support hand quite often. You couldn't put me in a full-fingered glove for anything!

SOrry to be OT here, but question the use of the support hand, By that I mean I shoot right handed but my left is my basic support. How do you sling up and still use same slung up hand to write, handle ammo, move sights and such? Just curious or either we have a technical jargon confusion as to what the support hand is and what the firing hand is. And I may be the one wrong on the terms fwiw.

Jeff

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
and to add... yes we thought the champions was a better built glove than the anschutz and I'm about the last to be a "stylish" person... but the anschutz felt better to us, so we just accepted buy a new one every season.

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
"Though position guns are much more so set up that you can run the hand to the handstop generally, than my service rifle rules allow."

I am shooting a sporter (CZ452 FS), not a target rifle at this time and therefore I do not have a handstop. I would like to top out with this rifle before deciding to move to a dedicated target rifle and am not trying to turn this sporter into a target rifle apart from a rear sight upgrade with target aperture and trigger modification (in the future). I use a sling, but am not experiencing any discomfort in my support hand. The forestock of my rifle is quite small and round. I just try to relax my support hand as much as possible and let the sling more or less hold the rifle (not in offhand, of course). I am hoping a glove will help a bit with hand tremor and pulse in my fairly light rifle so I can close the gap a bit more with our dedicated target rifle shooters.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We used to be told that if after a 22 minute timed match, prone for example, if you could feel anything in your hand you were not snug enough in the sling.

I always questioned that. And come to find out AMU has been teaching, along with NRA IIRC, that you only need be tested in the sling, IE if you have enough tension a coach can bump and shove you all around and you and the rifle move as one.... for us, that often meant that there is more sling tension that most think needed that are upcoming shooters, but no for us with the right glove, the hand doesnt have to fall asleep after a few shots.

Without a handstop, I don't see how I could shoot a sling without a glove and some really good rubber and or some shooters sticky too. ANd yes, you don't have any tension in the support hand or arm ever basically. If you get to where you think you are good, then stop right there, and think... TOTALLY relax, if you move at all as you TOTALLY relax, you still were not right... not quite.

best of luck!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shooting a sporter like that I would definitely emphasize sticky. If the glove isn't sticky, you may want to try some spray tac.

The problem is, as the string of fire goes on, your hand slides down the fore end, breaking down your position.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Barry arent you one that posted too, handing ammo or pencils with your gloved hand? Care to expound, I asked above someone else the same.

Once my support arm is set in place, the last thing I want is to move it to grab ammo, adjust sights, mark a data book or such?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Brian,

SOrry to be OT here, but question the use of the support hand, By that I mean I shoot right handed but my left is my basic support. How do you sling up and still use same slung up hand to write, handle ammo, move sights and such? Just curious or either we have a technical jargon confusion as to what the support hand is and what the firing hand is. And I may be the one wrong on the terms fwiw.

Jeff

Jeff, I don't mean I'm doing those things while I'm actually in the process of looking through the sights and trying to shoot. I mean using the support hand on occasion during a string of fire, let's say during the offhand portion at 200 yards. Fire a shot, then set the rifle down, maybe make an adjustment or re-ajust my cap and left-eye blinder that requires both hands , etc.....seems that everytime I put on a full glove on my support hand, I need a fingertip for something somewhere.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We used to be told that if after a 22 minute timed match, prone for example, if you could feel anything in your hand you were not snug enough in the sling.

I always questioned that.
I agree fully. Trouble is, my hand falls asleep and/or hurts simply from the twisted-up position I put my arm/wrist/shoulder in to get proper support. To quite MGYSGT Ken Roxburg "Number 3 is the key", #3 being extension and inversion of the support elbow....that inversion part plays hell on my rotator cuff and wrist...but it works

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Brian,

Jeff

Jeff, I don't mean I'm doing those things while I'm actually in the process of looking through the sights and trying to shoot. I mean using the support hand on occasion during a string of fire, let's say during the offhand portion at 200 yards. Fire a shot, then set the rifle down, maybe make an adjustment or re-ajust my cap and left-eye blinder that requires both hands , etc.....seems that everytime I put on a full glove on my support hand, I need a fingertip for something somewhere.....

Got it. Wasn't quite figuring it out. Thanks, Jeff

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks a lot for the input.

It looks like people have different preferences, like chocolate vs. vanilla. A moderately priced fingerless glove holds the most appeal for me at this time and this is what I am going to try. Hopefully my scores will let me know how it is working.

I guess I use a snug, not tight, sling so I haven't experienced hand discomfort from the sling. I do experience some discomfort in my upper arm (falling asleep) at the other end of the sling. The sling I am using is a cotton M-14 type and is probably more comfortable on the hand than a stiff, leather sling.

"ANd yes, you don't have any tension in the support hand or arm ever basically. If you get to where you think you are good, then stop right there, and think... TOTALLY relax, if you move at all as you TOTALLY relax, you still were not right... not quite." Rost495-I try to relax my support arm and hand as much as possible when I remember to do so. Often by the time offhand rolls around, I am sometimes forgetting to maintain shooting discipline and probably also forgetting to relax. Repetition, repetition, repetition...

"Shooting a sporter like that I would definitely emphasize sticky. If the glove isn't sticky, you may want to try some spray tac. The problem is, as the string of fire goes on, your hand slides down the fore end, breaking down your position." Barry, I haven't noticed my hand wanting to slide so far. Maybe if I shot in hot weather??

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd think it more possible to slide in cold weather personally, but you are doing something right if its not sliding.

As to sling comfort IMHO a stiff wider leather sling is more comfortable than one like the cotton one thats skinny and conforms to your hand more, because it can cut deeper and have more contact, the stiffer wider one seems, at least for me, to spread that tension out over a wider area for some reaons.

As to repetition, yes, but correct repetition must bue used. And you have to consider both relaxed AND NPA, at least I do, a number of times during even a slow fire string. And twice during a rapid.

As to snug vs tight, the only thing you need see, is the test I mentioned we use when coaching. IF the rifle is one with you, you are fine. If not, then it needs to be snugger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW, 3M Super 77 adhesive spray makes wonderful tack. Spray it on both the glove and the stock the day before and you will not slip, ever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (12308300, 16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 78 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.