Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I recently picked up a Shiloh Sharps Sporting Rifle #1 in .45 2 1/10, with 34" octagon barrel. There is no rear sight on the barrel, just a tang-mounted aperture (case-hardened, no less) and a hooded post on the front. Are these a factory option or aftermarket? And what model or design are they?

This is my first BPCR, and I thought I've owned some nicely made guns before, but this rifle is "best" quality. It's about 8 years old, but unfired (until today!). The fit and finish is amazing. My first three impromptu shots from a cramped kneeling position out of a second-story window at a steel IPSC target 60 yards away resulted in three satisfying clangs and a single lead splash mark on the paint. I'm hooked.
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Thanks,

Greg Perry

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice looking rifle!!! Good find.

I am NOT an "x-spurt" on sights, but the rear sight may be a Red River hunting sight . . . just a guess. Not a clue what the front sight is.

My sights are Red River (back when they were Parts Unknown) and I am a bit familiar with MVA sights. Others will provide more enlightened info (and educate both of us in the process, I hope).

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
?I don't know what sights they are but that staff is not properly positioned in that first photo. If it really leans back like that when it is in the detent, it needs fixing.

If it has a good and true vernier scale on the side of the staff, it would be an excellent hunting sight. I'd even be interested in finding one like that for my own sharps.

Does the sight also fold forward?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking it's an older version of this sight http://www.montanavintagearms.com/133_windgauge.html

The front sight looks alot like the C Sharps globe fixed post globe.

Last edited by Ranch13; 01/07/13.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't help with the sight, but I do agree that no other factory product in the US comes even close on fit and finish. Good luck with it.

1Minute
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Yes, the sight does fold forward. It's a little bit out of the detent in the photos.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That rear sight is an old Shiloh Sporting Tang sight. It is windage adjustable by loosening the screw on the forward side of the vertical slide, also loosen the eye cup, and just slide the aperture to the right or left. That will do for small adjustments. That's a rather good sight for a hunter.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Cool. Thanks Mike.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And without being able to look through it, I'll guess your front sight is the rather standard Globe sight, where inside of the tube you have a ball that sits on top of a post. That's also a good sight except that the ball has the habit of covering and hiding bullseyes unless those targets are pretty big. Because there is no rear sight on the barrel and no dovetail to accept one, you can be fairly sure that your rifle was shipped out with the sights that are on it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't think that is an original barrel. And that might be a good thing if this gun is old enough (however the forearm looks like a more recent Shiloh or possibly it is also a replacement).

I say that, not only because of the lack of a rear sight dovetail but also because of the finish (making allowances for photography).

The one important question is, how does it shoot?

Last edited by BrentD; 01/08/13.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
59, What is the address on the side of your rifle's action?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
303 mike hit it pretty much on all accounts, but it's not a #1 Sporting rifle , its a Long Range Express from the mid 80's. 34" std tube NO rear barrel sight or dovetail. The tube sight up frt has a post and way to big ball for fine shooting at more than 200 yds. The rear as he said is a std Sporting tang sight that came on the LRE. A #1 would have atleast a dovetail for a rear barrel sight and only 30" long with a blade frt. My money is on a 5-7k serial number with Shiloh Rifle Co Big Timber Montana on the left side of the rec and C . Sharps Arms Co. with {Old Reliable} tm to the left of the C. Sharps..on the top barrel flat. Put you in the 83-87 time range . Back then they came with real case hardening and nice wood. (options today) tell us the serial# exam 70xx or B60xx or 60xxB that will help date it. I believe that exact gun in 84 retailed for $790.00 got anymore questions? Magnum man

Last edited by Magnum_Man; 01/08/13.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Magnum Man:

I will check my barrel for markings when I get home later today, but assuming you are correct, what was the quality of the barrels back then? I seem to recall Mike Venturino saying that the barrels back then were not as well made as under the current owner.

The seller claimed this was a Sporting Rifle #1 but did not have the box with him (he is sending it to me) and also claimed that it was made after 2000. We'll see.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mag Man, if that gun is original, how do you explain the bluing on the barrel? Unless that is a photographic artifact, I don't think there is any way that is an original barrel. Which would be a good thing in my opinion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brent, Please explain your question about the blue on the barrel. I don't want to miss anything.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In this picture
[Linked Image]
The barrel looks to be almost unblued, or perhaps very thinly blued at most. Is that an artifact of the photo or is it really like that? All Shiloh barrels that I have seen are very deeply blued and do not look like that.

The rest of the rifle looks almost new from what I can tell. That would make wear an unlikely candidate for causing a thin blue and wear would look much different anyway.
It is a nice rifle and I would not consider a rebarreling to be a bad thing - indeed, for some early Shiloh's it's a near requirement.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Okay, now I see your point. That photo must have been taken with flash which can distort coloring, especially in a close-up. Let's wait to hear how well it shoots.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
The problem is with the photo. I was just trying to show the type of front sight, not show the condition of the gun. I think that's a palm print visible in the picture. The bluing is deep and flawless and the whole gun is very nicely finished.

The left side of the receiver says:

Shiloh Rifle Mfg. Co.
Big Timber, Montana

The top of the barrel is marked;

Shiloh-Sharps Model 1874

and farther down:

Calibre 45
2 1/10

The serial number is B42XX.

There are no other markings on the gun.

I am new to BPCR, but have a fairly discriminating eye.
This rifle appears to be in perfect condition. The bead on the front sight does not appear overly large to me, at least.

I have only shot a handful of cobbled-together handloads with 300 grain Speers and some 5744 left over from when I had a Marlin 1895. At 60 yards it will put one right on top of the other, but time and further testing will tell.

Thanks for all replies.

Greg

Last edited by gaperry59; 01/09/13.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
With a B serial, you will have a fine barrel. Congratulations and have fun!

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have a front sight like yours and that pin ball is adjustable for elevation, but you do have to drift the sight out to adjust the height.
It is a low profile sight that will work very good using the buck horn sight or tang.
I wish I had your rear sight!!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Kurt71; 01/09/13.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.