Print Thread
Hop To
R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Can it be done? Building a wildcat that is a 6.5 Sherman. Am wandering if u can use the chamber reamer to open up a 280 AI seater die to use for my 6.5 Sherman? Using a .264 mag neck die to form the false shoulder and then fire forming. Resize the necks and ready to load. Just not sure what to use to seat with. Was gonna use a .264 mag seater but am thinking the that the .270 parent case would move around too much in the larger die and not give me a straight bullet seat. Going to have a custom set made but was wandering if this can be done for now while its taking 3-4 months to build the dies.

Thanks Roy

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are blank seating dies you can buy that you can use a chamber reamer to make a custom seater. But most commercial seating dies are hardened and you'll ruin your reamer if you try and use it to open them up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by aalf

Al.. how will that wilson seater work? Looking over dimensions of the 280AI and the 6.5 Sherman they r very close. The Shermans case walls are blown out a little more. Where the case wall meets the 40� shoulder it is .006 larger.
Thats why i was wandering with auch minimal stock if the chamber reamer could open it up just a bit to snuggly hold the case while seating the bullet.

Roy

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As already mentioned, if you run the reamer into a hardened seater die you will ruin the reamer. Best solution is to make a new seater with the reamer from a die blank or a chunk of free machining steel. If you insist on using an existing die it would have to be lapped out, which would take a while and you need to know what you are doing. Might be able to open it up with a carbide boring bar and then lap, but the little bar is going to be way up in there and is going to want to chatter.

IC B2

R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by gzig5
As already mentioned, if you run the reamer into a hardened seater die you will ruin the reamer. Best solution is to make a new seater with the reamer from a die blank or a chunk of free machining steel. If you insist on using an existing die it would have to be lapped out, which would take a while and you need to know what you are doing. Might be able to open it up with a carbide boring bar and then lap, but the little bar is going to be way up in there and is going to want to chatter.

Can a hardened die be honed on a diamond hone?

Roy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RTSJ
Originally Posted by aalf

Al.. how will that wilson seater work? Looking over dimensions of the 280AI and the 6.5 Sherman they r very close. The Shermans case walls are blown out a little more. Where the case wall meets the 40� shoulder it is .006 larger.
Thats why i was wandering with auch minimal stock if the chamber reamer could open it up just a bit to snuggly hold the case while seating the bullet.Roy

I posted the link as the fastest way to get a seater.....just run the finish reamer in a smaller .264 die that will clean it up completely. Cheaper only if you're set up with an arbor press.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might be able to get away with using a small carbide boring bar like one that Circle Machine manufactures and some really careful planning. I've used them over the years to cut experimental chambers and to open die bodies to give shoulder room and change neck diameters. While not as pretty as a factory produced die, they can do the job until a better one becomes available.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If the seater die is hardened (some are not), it can be annealed then re-chambered. This can be done with a sizer as well after which it is re-hardened. I wouldn't bother hardening a seater and don't harden any that I make. Sizers, I carburize and case harden. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If for whatever reason you prefer a threaded seating die, Troy Newlon makes great die blanks. -Al

http://newlonprecision.com/

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I don't believe Lee dies are hardened, you might be able to use the reamer on one of their dies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another option would be to anneal the seater die you want to ream with your chamber reamer.

I've been doing this for about 40 years on band saws, so that they can flex after welding, when going around the bandmill wheels.

Heat the entire die to a dull red and hold the color for about 30 seconds, then SLOWLY pull the torch back, letting the die cool very slowly.

Virgil B.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Roy,

I have a threaded die blank that I'm not using... You can have it for the price of shipping. PM me if interested...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can use a hornady seater with the sliding sleave, just get one for a 6.5mm (260 Rem or 6.5 Rem mag) the sleeve drops down over the neck keeping the case and bullet straight. I use the same ones for my 5.6x50R and 22-250, 6mm-204 and 243 also the 25-204 and 250 Savage.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
If for whatever reason you prefer a threaded seating die, Troy Newlon makes great die blanks. -Al

http://newlonprecision.com/

Beat me to it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by RTSJ

Can a hardened die be honed on a diamond hone?

Roy

Yes. Diamond will cut any steel, but it is going to be slow going.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erich
You can use a hornady seater with the sliding sleave, just get one for a 6.5mm (260 Rem or 6.5 Rem mag) the sleeve drops down over the neck keeping the case and bullet straight. I use the same ones for my 5.6x50R and 22-250, 6mm-204 and 243 also the 25-204 and 250 Savage.

As Erich says, I use Hornady seaters on many different cartridges.
As Greydog says, there is really no reason to harden a seater.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Correct, most seating dies are not hardened. I have used a regular chamber reamer to open seater dies from Redding many times. When I was looking for a faster and less expensive seater solution for wildcats, a Redding tech told me the sliding sleeve on their comp seaters are made from 12L14. They cut easily. I recently opened a .260 Rem seater to .260AI. I turned the reamer by hand and set the depth at .125" with the GO gauge. I've done this more than a dozen times with great luck. Certainly cheaper and quicker to buy a standard comp seater and convert it.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
146 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.