24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brent, I don't know what you so confused about. Roger simply stated that I shot a deer with my sendero then he shot another one with my sendero.
His other statement was that he was comfortable with his 25-06 from 350-400 yards because he has not practice enough past that with it.
We both spent a lot of time behind the trigger of my sendero working on loads all summer.
I was the one they stated it was a fun experience so I guess you should read the post correctly and who posted so you can see clearly once the smoke is cleared.

If you have not connected the dots yet, I am Luke.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
BP-B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Congrats on the deer and sorry to hear of the lost one.

I've taken shots at more "reasonable" distances that I was extremely confident of and lost the deer. Comes with hunting and shooting to some extent, though we must be careful not to allow that fact to be an excuse for making a habit of it.

As with everything, there is a fine line that can be crossed and extremes in both sides.

Every year it disgusts me... Go to the range and see guys packing up as if ready to confidently kill deer at 100 yds but judging from range performance have no business shooting them at 25.

Bottom line... A man's got to know his limitations... And never stop respecting his prey.

Thanks for the report guys,

efw

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BrentD
How many stories are there?

Two deer, one story.

But in the end, smoke, is there ANY shot at ANY distance that a 400-yd shooter should pass up?

Who said he was a 400-yard shooter with the Sendero? If you read the post, you would've seen that he was comfortable out to the distance he killed the deer, with the Sendero.

One shooter, two rifles.

Is it all good with you? How about 1000? How about 2000?

How about 1000? Who said anything about killing a deer at 1000? TATELAW said he had practiced a good bit and was comfortable with the rifle out to the distance he made a one-shot kill with, what the hell does 1000 or 2000 have to do with it?

Take your strawman somehwere else.

Anyway, at least get the story straight twice in a row. You wouldn't fool a high school truant officer with stories like this.

He's got the story straight, you didn't read it straight.

You couldn't graduate from high school with reading skills like this.

Just kidding Brent, I'm sure your reading skills are fine. If you hadn't been so hell-bent on throwing the guy under the bus because he doesn't fit your own personal ethic, you probably wouldn't have jumped to so many erroneous conclusions. Try reading without the blinders next time.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think Brent caught two different people posted.

Roger (Tatelaw) shot a deer at a range that he was comfortable with the 7 mag... He would have used his rifle but was not comfortable at that long of a range with that rifle.

Luke (NMSSHOOTER) shot a doe but she was not found (yet) at the same range with the same rifle Roger shot his deer at.

Reading skills are very handy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys for clearing things up. I would not willful shoot a deer and loose it. I still say I made a good shot just didn't find it. I shot once and it fell. Just some bow got up. Thanks for people being honest and not throwing me under the bus just because we stretched the distance, with which we practice And was comfortable. Will be going back this evening hopeful to so maybe things will work out.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
Thanks for people being honest and not throwing me under the bus just because we stretched the distance, with which we practice And was comfortable. Will be going back this evening hopeful to so maybe things will work out.

No need for thanks NMS, "not throwing someone under the bus" is not all that difficult. When I read Brent's last post above, for a minute there I thought I may have missed something in TATELAW's post where he contradicted himself.

But then I thought so what? I don't know TATELAW, and I have no reason to think the guy would make things up or change his story in a dishonest way, so even if his posts didn't add up, I would just assume he made an honest mistake and then corrected it.

I guess some people tend to assume the opposite.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yeah and I tend to believe that assumption says more about the assumeR than those 'falling victim' to the assumption.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W I N D - is a 4 letter word and a variable that is not easily mastered even by the most highly skilled shooters.
A calm windless morning can impress you about today's modern gadgetry and convert you into a true believer while you lick your chops about that next 1000 yd rifle set up.
An errand breeze down range can have you tracking a 3 legged buck over numerous mountain ranges and into the next county while swearing you'll never do that again.

Proud NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I missed a doe at 310 last year, killed several further since. $hit happens, it's part of the game.

Hate to hear you lost her Luke, but all we can do is try harder the next time.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Salmonella
W I N D - is a 4 letter word and a variable that is not easily mastered even by the most highly skilled shooters.
A calm windless morning can impress you about today's modern gadgetry and convert you into a true believer while you lick your chops about that next 1000 yd rifle set up.
An errand breeze down range can have you tracking a 3 legged buck over numerous mountain ranges and into the next county while swearing you'll never do that again.
Amen brother! Come ups is easy wind is voodoo

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As for the wind, it couldn't have been a more calm evening. No wind to deal with what so ever.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good shooting, tough luck on the one.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm glad my story was clear to everyone else. The 25-06 I had with me is a rifle that I have killed with at 300 and holdover would be manageable out to 400. I have no idea about other's skills but I feel very comfortable with shots out to that distance without any special equipment. It comes with lots of practice. However, I'm not going past 400 without a tested LR setup. This setup can be a ballistic reticle scope that I have range tested or, preferably, target turrets. The 25-06 has a relatively new scope on it with target turrets but I didn't have time to get comfortable with them before the season like I did with Luke's Sendero. I plan to shoot it a lot using the turrets during the next off season so maybe I can use my own LR rig next season.

Last edited by TATELAW; 01/09/13.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's hard to comment on the wind if you weren't there, except to say it's less of a factor at 600 than 1000.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Maybe you would be better off spending the time building a brush blind a little bit closer to that end of the field. frown

I am gonna start with this quote although any of your's would do. This forum is to talk about hunting and give props to fellow hunters.It is painfully obvious that you are pissed off at the world and you sit behind your computer lashing out at others. Giving your opinion when it wasn't asked for, as for Luke and Roger they are southern gentleman both refined and eloquent as they defend a position that simply needs no defense! I am gonna say what they wont, apparently they didn't engage in the manner you were hoping........So i hope my saying you are a phuctard. Will make you feel better! Have a nice day! Now GFY!https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/default/grin.gif

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tatelaw, NMSshooter, I have never taken a trophy whitetail shooting long range, but find it is one hell of a tool for culling does. I just locked up a spot on Hwy 16 very near the big black. I used to hunt the property 15 years ago. I hear the current lease holders have let the does run wild. If yall want to come shoot some does....or a buck if the opportunity arises, yall holler. Do I know yall from the old MDWFP or Bull forums?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EddyBo
Tatelaw, NMSshooter, I have never taken a trophy whitetail shooting long range, but find it is one hell of a tool for culling does. I just locked up a spot on Hwy 16 very near the big black. I used to hunt the property 15 years ago. I hear the current lease holders have let the does run wild. If yall want to come shoot some does....or a buck if the opportunity arises, yall holler. Do I know yall from the old MDWFP or Bull forums?

Good for you EddyBo. We gotta cull a few here but no LR opportunities just 100-200 yds. Shoot some of those monsters you make.
BG

T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EddyBo

This and Shotgunworld.com are the only hunting forums I've ever been a member of. I've just gotten back into hunting over the last 5yrs or so. I'd love to come down for a cull hunt. Doesn't your season run longer down there? Ours runs through the end of January up here.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eddybo thanks for the invite. This is the only forum I have ever been on. I would love to come down and help you manage some of your herd. How far south are you? My work schedule is gonna be kinda busy but if possible maybe Roger and I can make a trip south. thanks again

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
I don't think Brent caught two different people posted.

Roger (Tatelaw) shot a deer at a range that he was comfortable with the 7 mag... He would have used his rifle but was not comfortable at that long of a range with that rifle.

Luke (NMSSHOOTER) shot a doe but she was not found (yet) at the same range with the same rifle Roger shot his deer at.

Reading skills are very handy.

Always the peacemaker.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
575 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.