Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kutenay
There are a number of sound reasons why such an outlet does not and is not likely to exist. The first is that all of the "name" packs are made by highly individualistic people who are competing with each other and are not about to make it "easy" for anyone to try competitor's packs before buying theirs.

Next, contrary to what most seem to think and even with the high markups in the "softgoods", i.e., some "kewl" tourist coming to BC wearing a highend G/T or eVent shell that was built for Everest[and 99% of the dudes do exactly that, makes us howl with laughter,] there is not actually a lot of money in the gear industry. This, is particularly true of the highend gear usually discussed here, MR, Kifaru, Valandre and so on.

Greenhorn, has nailed another important aspect of this and I can say that here in BC, one of big game trophy collecting's real "meccas", relatively FEW hunters actually backpack hunt and "dude hunters" from the US, and other foreign nations almost never do.

There are good reasons for this involving the size of many of our game species, the still very remote and wild country that can be and often is dangerous for any but genuinely skilled persons and the huge number of ATVs, 4x4s, river jet boats and other technical devices that most can now avail themselves of to bring home the "bacon".

I would like to stress here, again, that you DO NOT need to have all of the fancy and costly gear that is discussed here to successfully backpack hunt. The whole "art" has become so commercialized that the original purpose (s) have been smothered in WHO HAS the BEST, blah, blah, blah and also WHO KILLS THE MOST, yada, yada,yada.

Among the most successful hunters I know is my 52 year old cousin in Nelson, BC, a former N.H.L. hockey player and owner of a large construction firm that he has built from the beginning over the past 30+ years. He is VERY fit, large, strong, tough and loves to be out in the bush, all over BC.

I visited him last October and he jokingly said, " you know, Dewey, I see all these guys with all the fancy gear, buying new [bleep] all the time and they never shoot any game"....... This, is a bit of an exaggeration, but, not too far from the truth here in BC, from my observations since I started backpack camping and hunting in 1964 and working in bush for the BCFS the next spring.

Much of my hunting clothing is 20+ years old, some mended, faded and almost ALL of it is Cabela's grade stuff, it has worked for me just fine and the latest COOHOO or whatever matched camo sets, new pack model every year and all sorts of gadgets to supposedly do what real bush skills should do are just a commercial marketing ploy to take your money.

Get a Kelty Cache Hauler, some good USED gear and get out there, you will make mistakes, will sometimes be tired, dirty, smell bad and if solo, you WILL get lonely, but, it will all progress for you until you are a competent and happy backpack hunter.

Then, you get old, like me, and as your abilities decline with age, you will have memories that make life so very much more enjoyable.

^This^ is some of the most sound advice I have read on this forum. I believe it also reflects the voice of experience. Thanks Kute, your wisdom is always welcome by me.

As a relative newcomer to any "serious" backpack hunting, I have learned a couple of things I feel are important, at least to me.

#1. Indeed, not all of us NEED the "top of the line",(read that most expensive) latest, greatest, bestest most technologically advanced whiz-bang product out there. I suspect few truly NEED these, but concede some do. I believe the "best, most expensive" may not necessarily be the best for a particular person, and this has been affirmed by some posts above. However, this is just my opinion.

#2. Fit is everything!!! It is very important to find your correct fit, whether it be a low end or high end pack. If it doesn't fit you, it will be uncomfortable to carry no matter the cost/quality.

I found that I have a short torso length. I'm 6'2" & 215 lbs so I'm not a small guy. However, I tried several packs in what may be considered a medium - large size. I went through several packs before realizing that with a load over 40 lbs, a medium absolutely killed me. It was the size stupid! Long story short, a Dana Design Terraplane in size small is very comfortable and I have carried 60+ pounds in it for miles comfortably. This still isn't ideal as the strap padding is a hair too short but it works for me. I recently aquired an Eberlestock J-107 Dragonfly. It has adjustable suspension and to make it fit, I have to adjust it to it's smallest or shortest adjustment. It carries comfortably all day though I've yet to carry a heavy load in it.

Point is, just because you're a big guy doesn't necessarily mean you need a large size nor is the reverse true if you're of smaller stature. Get yourself measured and make sure your pack fits, regardless of the "quality" or cost of the pack.

And if you pay attention, the voices of experience say this over and over on this forum.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

BP-B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
There really is nothing today like the Osprey "Vector" line it is0sad to say.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yes , as I've said before if osprey still made the vector series, i bet it would be very popular with the BP hunting crowd.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Got my USMC ILBE in today. For 80 bucks shipped, i think its great.

First thing that i noticed is that its HUGE. Molle attachments give me options to add on to it.

I think it will serve me well for the coming season.

Im glad I didnt blow 400 bucks on a trendy pack. Now I can put that cash towards a bow.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
^^^^ how big is the ILBE? For $80 I cant afford not to try one.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Every where I have seen them listed it says they are 4,000 cubic inches.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JWP58
What kind of pack would you use on a 3 day elk hunt in the mountains?

What does "a 3 day elk hunt in the mountains" mean to you? Are you camping by the rig/road and day-hiking in? If you are backpacking in to a camp, how far? And how far beyond camp are you going to hunt? How many people do you have available to help pack if you get an elk? How much experience do you have hauling elk quarters?

There's a lot of strategy to settle on before picking a specific pack IMHO. Once you figure out how to handle the specific challenges, then think about what equipment works best.

Personally, unless I had enough people in the group that each person could grab a quarter plus their percentage of camp and pack out in a single trip, I'd have 2 packs. First would be a backpacking pack with enough extra capacity that on the first load out, I could carry my camp plus some meat, then go back with a dedicate load hauler, something comfortable for packing elk quarters.

For day hikes from the rig, and ability to haul a quarter out, I like the Badlands 2200. I haven't used it for an elk quarter but I lugged a buck out in one load .. it'll work. My heavy hauler is a Cabela's alaska guide "freighter" frame. It's squeaky but I don't care, I only carry it after I'm tagged out. If I were backpacking in, I'd look at the Badlands 4500. I have a Sacrifice which I use for summer backpacking but it really doesn't haul enough crap for a comfortable cold weather camp, never mind hauling out camp plus meat.

Your question is a good one .. lot of little sub-questions hidden in it you can't really ignore.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Kute, I wouldn't take an MR for free. I regret feeling that way, but I despise the suspension. It's a big compromise designed to get away from making more than one size. The NICE is another compromise, built around military contracts and ALICE dimensions.

Marketing...

I'm a little surprised you don't like MR packs, Brad. Having used and liked the Bora packs for a LONG time, I recently got a good deal on a next to new MR Grizzly and have to say that I'm impressed so far. No super heavy, sustained loads thus far, but in the testing and fitting I've found it to be very comfortable. Possibly quite a bit more than the Boras with a equal load. Time will tell of course. I will train with it and some heavy loads over the winter months before making my final decision...

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by T_O_M
What kind of pack would you use on a 3 day elk hunt in the mountains?

What does "a 3 day elk hunt in the mountains" mean to you? Are you camping by the rig/road and day-hiking in? If you are backpacking in to a camp, how far? And how far beyond camp are you going to hunt? How many people do you have available to help pack if you get an elk? How much experience do you have hauling elk quarters?

Tom

Well looks like its going to be two people. I havent had the chance to scout the unit im going to put in for, but I will get out there around May. So I cant really comment on the "how far from the truck, how far from camp" questions.

Those will have to wait til' I scout the area and decide where to hike in from and to camp.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got my USMC ILBE in today. For 80 bucks shipped, i think its great.

First thing that i noticed is that its HUGE. Molle attachments give me options to add on to it.

I think it will serve me well for the coming season.

Im glad I didnt blow 400 bucks on a trendy pack. Now I can put that cash towards a bow.

You did well. Way better than any Badlands or Sitka, for way less cash.

The ILBE is basically a beefed up Bora and the Boras are great packs. The ILBEs are a little heavy, but huge. Way more than 4000ci. I used one a bunch last year and wouldn't be sad to hunt the rest of my life using one of them.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

IC B3

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I just picked up an ILBE - I paid $90 shipped in supposed good condition with the assault pack included as well. I'm hoping it works out for me. I think it will be pretty cool for the money. At that price, I won't worry about it too much even if it only becomes a backup/lend-out bag.

J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ya i think im going to add the assault pack as well. For a day pack and attach it to the back of the ILBE.

With the molle attachments the possibilies are endless.

I know its not kuiu/sitka cool, but if it works....thats way cooler.

Plus i got an inside line on discounted First Lite merino wool gear, so that will add to the cool factor lol

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Pretty cool ideas if you check out all of the youtube videos. I'm probably going to pick up a sustainment pouch and try to mod it with some padding for a spotting scope. I'm also thinking I'll use the assault pack as a daypack if I like it. You really can get attachments for just about anything!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm loving the "get er done" drift of this thread. High end gear is a luxury, not a necessity. Plenty of durable stuff out there for less. I saw a group of high school kids several miles in up near timberline in the Olympics one time outfitted with mostly mil surplus. They were in misery with their ALICE frames, but having the time of their lives. There's a lesson in that. Lots of guys who are brand snobs are that way to reinforce their own sense of efficacy.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Evan - what is the latest on the new HPG pack? Last I heard was release backed up to January, but I haven't dug through your forum in awhile.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been looking for an excuse to post this:

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I will say I watched the video yesterday and the pack looks very well done. I'm curious about a few things that probably require looking at it. Perhaps I can see one at the HPG world headquarters someday smile

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by evanhill
I'm loving the "get er done" drift of this thread. High end gear is a luxury, not a necessity. Plenty of durable stuff out there for less. I saw a group of high school kids several miles in up near timberline in the Olympics one time outfitted with mostly mil surplus. They were in misery with their ALICE frames, but having the time of their lives. There's a lesson in that. Lots of guys who are brand snobs are that way to reinforce their own sense of efficacy.

I have been guilty of that and probably still am. You can say that lightweight gear that costs more money does make you more efficient though. I like this line too from Calvin: "As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be."

I bought an old McHale pack for $20 a couple months ago. This pack is so bombproof and comfortable. The stays in it are worth 20 bucks. It is purple though so its getting some spray paint. Dan McHale advises people not to even bother buying his old "2 bolt" style exp. packs. I would not hesitate to pick one up and try it out if the price is right. See, I am not so elitist grin .

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
. Lots of guys who are brand snobs are that way to reinforce their own sense of efficacy.

Even us HPG fans?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
. Lots of guys who are brand snobs are that way to reinforce their own sense of efficacy.

Even us HPG fans?

Bless the folks paying my bills, but yes I'm sure some of our customers fall in that camp. Hopefully not too many of them though.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
411 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 41 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.