Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Where I live, there are no local woods that are suitable for gunstocks.

BP-B2

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How about good old swamp tamerak? Harder'n flint.Dad used them for gate posts I bet they are still there.

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You better work out on steroids if you get a tamarac stock. Them things is HEAVY!

Castandblast -- you're from Skach'wan -- you got no trees bigger'n Saskatoon bushes! grin You'd have to laminate a bushel of them together.

(I know you got trees in the north) wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Walnut seems be be top of the line. The birch is of course used as a cheaper stock.
The notion of a stock converting to toothpicks when fired is only so appealing.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Here in Oregon, we see a fair number of custom stocks made out of myrtlewood. The color and grain can be absolutely spectacular.

Myrtlewood trees grow down on our coastline and I've been told that the only places that myrtlewood occurs is here and the Holy Land. I saw some mrytlwood trees on our recent looong pilgrimage to Israel. Whether it grows elsewhere, I cannot say.

Here is a photo of a decent piece of myrtlewood.

God Bless,

Steve

[Linked Image]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

IC B2

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow dogzapper that is a swanky looking piece of wood!!!
Is this on one of your shotguns??

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Keith when I was a kid my Pop tricked me into trying to saw down an old tamerac post with a swedesaw I did it but busted the blade when it toppled over I think it took me all day to get through it

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yep, and a feller doesn't want to put too much seasoned tamarac into the woodstove all at once if he doesn't want to have a warped stove, neither. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have heard intresting things about tamarac over the years.
One being the wood made lighter, faster clipper ships than oak, but with a shorter life span.
Another being the wood is good for well pits, and such because it stands moisture well.
Yet another that it makes poor building lumber twisting with changes of season.
A sawmill man told me his grandfather used some tamarac studs in a kitchen wall that moved summer, to winter, causing the grandmother to complain vigorously. I then ask the sawmill man, "What do you do with it then?" he said, "It goes through with the rest of the pine".

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We tried to mill some back in Sk but there was so much timberbind in it that it could'nt be sawed at the little mill I worked at

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A larger proublem than finding a nice 2"x6" for a stock would be the inleting for me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
DZ that stock is amazing.

I dunno about the entire stock because it is so heavy, but ironwood forends and/or grip caps would be beautiful.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,017 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.