Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well here I go. I get really worn out when someone post on here they don't want to buy "premium" bullets (whatever that means) because they are too expensive YET they come on here wanting to know what the best bullet is to kill a deer. I MIGHT understand if you were someone who had to shoot a 100 deer a day but give me a break, how many shots are you shooting, if you are shooting 100's of rounds, then buy the cheap blems and blaze away.

During hunting season I would bet most of us might go through 100 rounds, testing loads, practicing, etc. but when hunting how many shots do you take? Enough to matter money wise? Don't we owe it to the animal to kill it with the best there is?

OR you can look at it, the blems killem as dead as the North Forks or even a Ballistice Tip. Then why even ask which bullet to use.

I think most here are like me...I'm an All Day Sucker for the latest greatest stuff there is, hell I almost spent $65 on 50 North Fork bullets at the Safari Club Show but they didn't have my size.

So my point is, if you are worried anout the cost of your bullets, buy the cheapest bullet there is and shoot it... don't ask whaich one to buy.....Rant over, ya'll can pile on now...

HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
308 Win., 150 gr. Interlock or Ballistic Tip, done. Whatever I owed to the deer, those two paid it in full no problem.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For deer, regular bullets will often kill faster than a premium. If you are going after something bigger, that's a different story.

Scott
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Don't we owe it to the animal to kill it with the best there is?

Upon what do you base the idea we humans owe an animal anything? I don't get it.

I have used Barnes for the last several years, but next season I will be using G.S. Customs because they have an American supplier.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
For deer, regular bullets will often kill faster than a premium.

This has been my experience. When you get into the zippier cartridges, the premiums going very fast kill quickly, too. The premiums seem to help maintain bullet integrity and do less meat damage compared to Cup-N-Cores at the same speed.

Deer seem to like speed. Makes them lay down real soon.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hunted out of state. Paid a premium for the tag, a premium for fuel, a premium in time off . Not going to shoot the cheapest ammo I can find. Know a [bleep] that complained about the cost of a box of coreloks. Never spent time sighting in or other range time. That cheap box of ammo would last him 20 years maybe, seen many like him and heard of many more.

Last edited by sidepass; 01/10/13.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
How about a quick,humane kill?

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cup and core have alway worked. I'm not one for changing things that aren't broken. But say what are these great premium bullets you're getting for 45 cents?

NRA Lifetime Member
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
For deer, regular bullets will often kill faster than a premium. If you are going after something bigger, that's a different story.

Not in my experience.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is all about shot placement. Practice, practice, practice!

Save Some Elk, Shoot A Wolf...........
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Up by me, Barnes bullets in 7mm and .30 Cal are about .80 cents a piece. Hornady GMXs are .68 cents a piece. A dead buck is worth $24.00 and a dead doe or fawn is worth $12.00, good meat on the table is priceless. I can afford to hunt with whatever bullet I chose, I still use .34 cent a piece Hornady Interlocks because they work well and put deer down fast, if I needed more I'd use it. If I were hunting elk or moose, I'd probably use Partitions or monos, I just don't need them for the deer by me, maybe whitetail are tougher in other parts of the USA, I know Wyoming whitetail and mule deer aren't, because I've taken a few out there with the same schitty Hornadys I've been using for 18 yrs now, and they all died fast with very little suffering.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Still I ask, upon what do you base the idea we should try for a quick, humane kill?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Ringman

Still I ask, upon what do you base the idea we should try for a quick, humane kill?

I don't like tracking deer in the pucker brush.

Last edited by Otter6; 01/11/13.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
cost and "killing power" aside, I find the mono's (read ttsx) are often more accurate in my rifles....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well here I go. I get really worn out when someone post on here they don't want to buy "premium" bullets (whatever that means) because they are too expensive YET they come on here wanting to know what the best bullet is to kill a deer.

Much like some of us get "worn out" when some come on here & insist money is no object & which expensive $1 a shot bullet will kill a deer the deadest with a 308 wink

As an ealier poster pointed out C&C bullets been killing deer dead for a hundert yrs...if the shot placment is good, is there a deader than dead!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Folks tend to make this harder than it really is. I've been killing whitetail deer for over 40 years, it ain't that hard! Many of those years we were allowed 3-4 tags. Centerfire calibers from .24 to .338. Add in round balls from a muzzle loader. Killed a few with TSXs, Sierras, Speers, Noslers, Hornady Interlock and Interbond, even a 75 gr. 25 caliber cast bullet at 2k fps.
Put a bullet constructed for deer, not varmints, in the right place and get out your knife.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I totally concur

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What I don't understand is why the term 'premium' is still synonymous with tough, deep-penetrating, high weight retention bullets. Aren't there plenty of expensive, rapid expansion bullets out there today? And aren't there some cheap, tough ones, too? When someone brings up 'premium bullets for deer', do they mean expensive or tough?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
So much for missing the point.

IT is NOT the one bullet you shoot the deer with that breaks the bank, it's the test loads you have to run to find the bullet that kills the deer that breaks the bank.
That plus the 3-7 bullets you fire a year to make sure your gun is sighted to kill the deer that doesn't break the bank.

The RIGHT question is - how many bullets do you fire setting up a load, and sighting in each year vs. killing the game with.
More me that's about 30:1

So multiply the 45 cents a couple more times...

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/11/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For some people it seems that ratio is extreme, hundreds to one.

Depends on what you call "load development". I might only shoot a couple of deer per year, but up to 100 or so pigs plus sundry others like goats and so forth.

While the hog hunting is great sport, to an extent I also consider it load development for the deer hunting which I can travel many hours to partake in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
841 members (12344mag, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 82 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.