Hop To
D
dawaba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Gentlemen,

I will be taking my Whitworth .375 H&H to RSA in July for cape buffalo and other game. This rifle loves 300-gr bullets and I plan to do most of my shooting with the Nosler Partition.

I have a good supply of old style screw machine Partitions as well as the newer extruded versions. My rifle shoots both bullets inside of an inch.

I have taken a brown bear in Alaska with the new bullets without complaint, but nostalgia is whispering to me that I should try the old bullets on the buffalo. It probably is much ado about nothing, but do any of you veteran hunters have any feelings about the suitability of the old style Noslers vs the new ones?

Looking at the relief grooves on the two bullet styles, the partition on the new bullet appears to be positioned farther forward than that on the old style. This may favor the new bullet as far as retained weight and theorectical penetration.

I know that I'm largely swimming in a sea of esoterica here, but do any of you have any experience with old Noslers in buffalo?

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
take the old bullets in the old caliber and kill an old dugga boy.....
done

D
dawaba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Ha! Well put, AFTERUM. Hemingway or Ruark could not have said it better!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
dawaba I have not used them on buff but have used the screw machine 270 gr on brown bear,as has a friend.

They did a bang up job both times.

Couple of touring African pro's tried to buy our stash of 270 and 300 gr screw machine bullets back in the day....apparently they thought highly of them.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
dawaba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
dawaba I have not used them on buff but have used the screw machine 270 gr on brown bear,as has a friend.

They did a bang up job both times.

Couple of touring African pro's tried to buy our stash of 270 and 300 gr screw machine bullets back in the day....apparently they thought highly of them.

Back in the early 80s, I believe, before Nosler resumed manufacturing the 300 gr Partition, I had a good friend offer to buy two boxes of the old bullets from me for a dollar each (that was back when a dollar was obscene money to spend on a bullet). I declined, because I was unsure if Nosler would ever make any more 300-gr PTs. About a week later, he upped his offer to a buck-fifty each. Still, I declined.

Later, Nosler started making the bullet in the new style, and my buddy bought a truck load of them! He still shoots them in his Sako .375 Holland.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I know old Africa hands who paid $2 for screw-machine .375 Noslers during that period. Which just shows what serious hunters thought of them, long before some of the modern super-bullets ever appeared.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes that was the trend back in the 80's....there just was nothing out there for premium 375 bullets once Nosler stopped making them....I guess they had switched over to impact extrusion to manufacture bullets and the biggest were 338's.

JB has written about this. I know I'm getting old when I lived through it. smile

My pal hit the mother load....apparently this guy had for some reason lived in India and hunted there,had a large stash of 270-300 gr Nosler Partitions, about 700 in total,and wanted $1 each for them.We split the cost down the middle.

It was my first experience paying a buck a bullet....but I got used to it real fast when I started buying Bitterroots so now my attitude is.....Oh well cry grin

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have never used the partition on buff, but have had excellent success with the A-Frame and Barnes TSX in .416 Rigby. Both look like catalog pictures when recovered.

While on a recent leopard hunt, I shot a 55" kudu with a 225 partition out of a .338 WM. We recovered the bullet. There was no lead left and very little of the base. It did, however, kill the Kudu from about 180 yards. The Kudu is a "soft" animal. Cape Buffalo are "hard" animals with no sense of humor. For "hard" animals, I prefer "hard" bullets. YMMV.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I remember building a 375 Taylor in the late 70's after finding a stash of 300 grain Noslers in a store. Bullets first, then the rifle to shoot them. Never recovered one, even from grizzlies, yet the wound channel was always impressive. Still own a few of the bullets as they are interesting conversation pieces.
Sold off close to 1,000 of them in the middle 1980's to a guy going to live in Africa for $2 each. Not sure who got the better deal, me or him. I rarely use a 375 anymore though since getting into double rifles.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes that was the trend back in the 80's....there just was nothing out there for premium 375 bullets once Nosler stopped making them....I guess they had switched over to impact extrusion to manufacture bullets and the biggest were 338's.

JB has written about this. I know I'm getting old when I lived through it. smile

My pal hit the mother load....apparently this guy had for some reason lived in India and hunted there,had a large stash of 270-300 gr Nosler Partitions, about 700 in total,and wanted $1 each for them.We split the cost down the middle.

It was my first experience paying a buck a bullet....but I got used to it real fast when I started buying Bitterroots so now my attitude is.....Oh well cry grin

Yeah but you are rich Bob.....That's just a drop in the bucket for you grin....My question is: Aren't the new nosler 300 gr. partitions almost just as good as the old??? I [bleep] up and didn't buy a bag of them at a table last weekend. The guy wanted $30.00 for them...... cry

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa I ain't rich.... frown but I ain't sane either. sick

So, I paid a buck a bullet cry Cause that's all you could get back then.

It really was not like today,with great bullets being common and loaded in factory ammo.If you wanted great bullets you handloaded and that was that.

The BBC was strictly a boutique deal;handmade,scarce,and in demand...they also worked very well.So you paid the freight.

I still scrounge gun show tables for old boxes of screw machine Partitions....they are kinda fun to hunt with and kill just as well today as they did back then.

I have never used the new 300 gr 375 Nosler Partitions but have seen them at work on brown bear.They work very well and may be a better bullet than the old on's,depending how you want to define "better".The reason old bullets still work is because,while times have changed, the animals haven't. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa I ain't rich.... frown but I ain't sane either. sick

So, I paid a buck a bullet cry Cause that's all you could get back then.

It really was not like today,with great bullets being common and loaded in factory ammo.If you wanted great bullets you handloaded and that was that.

The BBC was strictly a boutique deal;handmade,scarce,and in demand...they also worked very well.So you paid the freight.

I still scrounge gun show tables for old boxes of screw machine Partitions....they are kinda fun to hunt with and kill just as well today as they did back then.

I have never used the new 300 gr 375 Nosler Partitions but have seen them at work on brown bear.They work very well and may be a better bullet than the old on's,depending how you want to define "better".The reason old bullets still work is because,while times have changed, the animals haven't. smile

Thanks Bob. I've got some old screw machine 30 cal 180 gr's that I hang on to becasue they are cool and hard to find. They also shoot so good that it's almost hard to believe. I don't think I'll burn them up though as I have around 500 of the new ones (30cal 180 partitions)....I need to get me some more 260gr. parts for my Holland and Holland mag though.....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I remember owning some 30 caliber old style Noslers in 150 or 165 grains and never had any luck getting them to shoot well. Last time I tried was about 5 years ago and finally just used them all for off hand practice.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I remember owning some 30 caliber old style Noslers in 150 or 165 grains and never had any luck getting them to shoot well. Last time I tired was about 5 years ago and finally just used them all for off hand practice.

Funny you mention "offhand". As I was typing my last post I was thinking (to myself) I shot my best offhand group with those bullets....Scares me to even say what that was... whistle wink

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bsa1917,

These days Nosler continues to tweak any of their bullets if they see the need.

The 300-grain .375 is one of the Partitions they moved the partition forward on a number of years ago. If you recover one, they typically retain 85-90% of their weight. The only two I've recovered (after shooting quite a few into various African animals, and a couple in North America as well) both retained around 88%, give or take a few tenths of a grain.

Since then Nosler tells me they now use a harder rear core in the 300 .375's, though as I recall the change had more to so with accuracy in some .375-caliber rifles than anything else. I haven't used any of those on game yet, however.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,390 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.