Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK, I'll update the comment. It's the longrange hunting forum.....so a 28 inch barrel seems......out of place??

I don't know, you tell me.

I never said the SAUM wasn't a better case. If the guys at GAP chose it over the WSM, that's pretty much all I need to know. I did say, when this barrel is toast, I'll buy another. They're much cheaper than say, an S&B scope. It may be a SAUM, or maybe not.

Also, your gunsmiths sample of one is not necessarily significant.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought you were going to sell it to me...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am, just as soon as I get it all the way up to 200 rounds and the barrel is fried. But look at the bright side, the load work-up will be done, and I'll have a bunch of fired brass for ya. Better check the primer pockets though, it's already hard to get 'em to stay put, you've gotta load this one pointing downhill....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ever heard of super-glue? It's all I use when priming in my 7 Rem, but the barrel was gone a long time ago. It's got like 400 rounds down it now. Won't even hold .5 Minute at 600 anymore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tanner-too funny about the super glue, but when I was guiding I had one fella in camp the night b4 the hunt actually sitting at the table thumbing primers back into the primer pockets... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
Lonie at Hornady has proven beyond doubt that shorter necks cause barrels to wear faster. Maybe twice or three times as fast. With that being said, I would recommend the .300 Weatherby. It uses less powder than the RUM and can easily get more velocity than the .300 WM.

So what does he consider a short neck, the 300 Winchester Magnum?

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
OK, I'll update the comment. It's the longrange hunting forum.....so a 28 inch barrel seems......out of place??

I don't know, you tell me.

I don't think so not for a "long range" hunting rifle. I have a couple with 30" barrels

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
rahtreelimbs,

Lonie and I had a few conversations about cartridges........He checked with the guys who do the bullet testing and load developing. They told him the cases like the .234, .300 Win Mag, 7 Rem Mag and all the new short fat magnum barrels get replaced at about 350 rounds.

Not arguing with you Ringman.

My 300 WSM just fired round #440 last weekend & printed one of its best three shot groups to date. It's just now settling down.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, I guess it all depends on where/how you hunt.

My main point is, personally, barrel life is not going to stop me from building/shooting the hunting rifle I want. Mine just happens to be a lightweight.

For sending lots of rounds downrange, I have other rifles that aren't barrel burners.

Besides, the OP has been in constant contact with me, sending PMs through his protege and confidant Tanner, and I'm pretty sure barrel life doesn't matter to him either.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My vote for best 308 caliber cartridges:

308 Winchester
308 Norma Magnum
300 Winchester Short Magnum
300 Weatherby Magnum

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Yep, I guess it all depends on where/how you hunt.

My main point is, personally, barrel life is not going to stop me from building/shooting the hunting rifle I want. Mine just happens to be a lightweight.

For sending lots of rounds downrange, I have other rifles that aren't barrel burners.

Besides, the OP has been in constant contact with me, sending PMs through his protege and confidant Tanner, and I'm pretty sure barrel life doesn't matter to him either.
BagABuck is slated as next head gunsmith at GAP, so I'm sure he will opine on the subject once more and set the record straight once and for all.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The best and most well rounded 30 caliber BG cartridge is,pretty clearly...the 30/06.

whistle

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Tanner-too funny about the super glue, but when I was guiding I had one fella in camp the night b4 the hunt actually sitting at the table thumbing primers back into the primer pockets... cool

Dober

We had a guy in competition, the [bleep] was an unbelievable shot, but just knew he had to have XXXX MV from a gun or it was a BB gun.
He was constantly putting primers in with 640 bearing retainer locktite adn still loosing em. We all know when the metal gives, no glue is holding anything in...

But a buddy of his built him a primer crimping tool, that actually helped him a bit. But less powder would have been safer for us all.

Funny story, as well as he shot, he couldn't shoot 600 prone that well. I was on a hot streak one state match and had a perfect score goign in horrible wind. Never a perfect score on that range at that point it was only about 5 years old or so... His cell phone rang while I was middle of 22 shots. I pulled the round and rolled over... waitiing on him to answer. Flustered him so bad he started stammering about keep shooting, don't need the phone etc..... and I kept saying catch it and I"ll wait... ( of course I was also watching the wind and continually twisting the knobs to keep up with it. He demanded I shoot again. He hated loosing but was funny to listen to him whine about keep going.... stopped on a X. Started with another.... and finished clean and beat G David Tubb at 600 that day wiht my measly AR...

Told him after the match... my scorekeeper that is, he asked how I did it. I said I used 242 loctite, the 640 was so strong that when the case gave a bit, it torqued the case to the side and skewed the angle of the bullet a tiny bit as it went downrange, which really didn't matter much at 200 or so but by the time it was accentuated at 600 it could cost you....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Maybe you should just have "Gullibal" tatooed on your forehead....with the goofy wildcats you build I can see 350 rounds max, but you need to ? your source as your not getting the whole story...then again maybe you are

You actually believe I made wildcats?

I thought you were a big wildcat guy?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Yes. My job is to put dollar bills under the barrels to make sure they're free-floated. Next stop, Vice President.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hope they let you in on the secret of how to do that. Use a $100, it'll not only help bed the action, it'll "true it up" too.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Old Confederate money works extremely well, but it's just too hard to find. The Benjamins decrease barrel life by as much as 2 to 3 times, but if you get a cartridge with a longer neck length it should even out.

Last edited by BagABuck; 01/13/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought you were a big wildcat guy?

I was funin' with my .com friend about believing someone on the 'net. About being a big anything.... Let me see, I am 5'7" and 160 pounds so I'm not very big. Never the less I am on my thirteenth wildcat: A .257SLR. I am hoping to get 3,800 feet per second firing 85 grain G.S.Custom HV monometal bullets from a 26" Pac-Nor barrel.

One time I visited Sisque Barrel Works near Grants Pass. When I introduced myself to Chick Donley he responded, "So, I meet the infamous Rich Coyle the wildcat man." I used two of his barrels. He loaned me a .22-6mm Rem reamer for one of my .224 wildcats.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Ringman- I know that guy too. Is his name Jude?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rost495
.... and finished clean and beat G David Tubb at 600 that day wiht my measly AR...

Not too many folks can say that. KUDOS!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (12308300, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 75 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.