24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Has anyone tried the new browning A5? I havent been able to lay my hands on one yet. I need a shotgun with a low drop at the comb and heel and it appears as though this one has that plus a shim adjustable stock. I would be looking for a blued/wood version for chasing pheasants and possible trap league.

How is the overall fit/finish, how is the pattern, is it a 50/50 or 60/40 dispersion of the pattern etc... Any malfunctions?

thanks in advance.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Think I would try to find a gently used vintage A5, before stooping to the new one. I also think I would opt for the Browning Gold or Silver instead of the new. They both come up about the same as the A5 for me. Haven't heard to much good about the new ones.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks- i initially was going to get a gold but it looks as though browning dropped them? Is the gold/silver stock adjustable?

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
One of my hunting partners bought one back in September. He got the blued/wood model and I think he got the 30" barrel.

I only shot the gun about three times so I can't really say much about how it performed for me but I was very impressed by its light weight. That might be really nice for a use, like pheasant hunting, where you will likely carry the gun a lot. That light weight would probably work against it for use as a trap gun.

My buddy shot his gun for dove hunting and he has been using it to duck hunt. He seems to me to have adapted to it quickly (he had been shooting an old style A-5) and has been shooting it pretty well. He hasn't had any trouble with functioning whether shooting light lead loads at doves or 3" steel ammo at ducks. He likes it very well.

To me, the most impressive thing about the gun was its light weight. You may like it when you get to handle one.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A Belgian A-5 Light Twelve is one of the smoothest, reliable, and on-target shotgun I have ever fired.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The A5 is Great. For high-volume shooting or target work, go with the gas operated Maxus

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the responses. Has anyone patterned the A5 or maxus?

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by stevenautique
Has anyone tried the new browning A5? I havent been able to lay my hands on one yet. I need a shotgun with a low drop at the comb and heel and it appears as though this one has that plus a shim adjustable stock. I would be looking for a blued/wood version for chasing pheasants and possible trap league.

How is the overall fit/finish, how is the pattern, is it a 50/50 or 60/40 dispersion of the pattern etc... Any malfunctions?

thanks in advance.

Like others here have suggested, I'd sure consider the older A5, in Light Twelve dress. I've had several, one now, and they are superb. As to the new ones, reliability reports from folks I know that have them and have shot them are good. I find the looks of the new guns worse than unvarnished sin, but that's just in the eye of this beholder.

In terms of the pattern, this is really not a question of how one model of gun performs, but how the gun fits the particular shooter (50/50, 60/40, etc.).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
444 members (300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 49 invisible), 2,171 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.