Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oh, crap! That jusy scewed up my safari.

Zambia bans hunting of endangered lions, leopards
By Chris Mfula | Reuters � Thu, Jan 10, 2013
Email
Print
LUSAKA (Reuters) - Zambia has banned the hunting of lions and other endangered wild cats such as leopards because it sees more value in game viewing tourism than blood sport, the country's tourism minister said on Thursday.
Sylvia Masebo told Reuters big cat numbers were also too low to have a sustainable hunting industry.
"Tourists come to Zambia to see the lion and if we lose the lion we will be killing our tourism industry," Masebo said.
The estimated $3 million that Zambia earned from safari hunting of all its wild animals annually was too little to merit the continued depletion of Zambia's wildlife, she said.
"Why should we lose our animals for $3 million a year? The benefits we get from tourist visits are much higher," she said.
The leopard population for the sprawling southern African country is not known while lion numbers are not believed to exceed around 4,500.
Estimates for Africa's lion population vary from around 20,000 to 30,000, according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature, and is falling in the face of numerous threats including conflict with livestock farmers and loss of prey and habitat.
Zambia's moves follow neighboring Botswana's decision to ban all sport hunting from 2014 as it also works to promote itself as a game viewing destination.
Wildlife-rich Kenya set this trend when it halted trophy and sport hunting decades ago.
Lions and leopards are the feline pair of the so-called "Big 5" group of dangerous African animals coveted by some trophy hunters. The others are elephant, rhino and Cape buffalo.
But there are growing concerns about Africa's big animals in the face of a surge in poaching of elephants for their ivory and rhino in South Africa for their horns to meet soaring demand from Asian countries.
In a separate development, Zambia last week suspended 19 hunting concessions and fired the top management at the Zambia Wildlife Authority because of corruption allegations and a lack of transparency.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
BP-B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Damn shame. Everything I've read about Kenya is that their game populations have been in the tank since they ended sport hunting and no one is paying for game management anymore.

I wonder how many tourists visit Kenya now to "view" wild game?

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
In addition to banning the big cats, Zambia has also closed hunting altogether for 2013. This move is related to the inability of the government to allocate the hunting concessions in a timely and equitable manner. Difficult and discouraging news to be sure. In essence, Botswana has closed hunting (still private land opportunities there), and now Zambia closes two of the Big 5 along with shutting down for a year. Hopefully, it is just for this year and they can figure out the concession allocation in time for 2014. The Zambia situation is quite similar to 2002, when they shut things down temporarily.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and leopards arent endangered......they are like our coyotes, prolly every African city south of the Sahara has them living within city limits.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And tourists don't "view" leopards too often, since they're primarily nocturnal.

Even in countries that have a thriving safari-hunting industry, such as Tanzania, the government is raising fees to safari companies, and even taking away concessions and awarding them to local folks who don't have any experience in the hunting business.

But the trend toward converting from hunting to game-viewing is going on in many places. The last time I hunted n South Africa several local properties had converted to game viewing, because the profit per customer was higher.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Even in countries that have a thriving safari-hunting industry, such as Tanzania, the government is raising fees to safari companies, and even taking away concessions and awarding them to local folks who don't have any experience in the hunting business.

Is it simply a matter of corruption, or is there an agenda?

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My guess from the symptoms is corruption.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fact check that over on AR Jeff. I think the ban if for locals only. Belay my last, the bloody Wogs did!

Last edited by jorgeI; 01/11/13.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe it's now all sport trophy hunting on Govt land.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What country did you book your next cat hunt?

Explains the sudden silence about my booking next summer, I'm sure they are freaking.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This was posted by Andrew Baldry on AR. I am not familiar with Zambia operators; however as I understand it Andrew is one of the good guys and very reputable.

"It would seem that hunting may continue on fenced farms and I think two GMA's have extended leases therefore my thread could be construed as misleading. Especially for the fenced game farmers.For the most free range safari hunting as we know it will cease."

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Hunting Report says corruption in allocating blocks and no confidence in cat census figures.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
With Zambia and Botswana closed, your best chance for a free range lion is Zim. Leopard hunting can be good there too. Namibia has excellent leopard hunting available. I killed a very good lion in Zim (Matetsi) in 2011 and a very good leopard in Namibia in 2012. Both hunts wre fairly priced when I bought them. My guess is that prices in these two venues will go up. Way up!

Tanzania is still a good venue for cats, but incredibly expensive.

At the DSC convention, there was talk that lions would not be importable into the U.S. after November, 2013. Get 'em while you still can!

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Hunting Report says corruption in allocating blocks and no confidence in cat census figures.

Corruption in Africa? Tell me you jest!

And still others were shocked in a Casablanca sort of way:

Captain Renault:
I�m shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]

Croupier:
Your winnings, sir.

Captain Renault:
[sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
If they become non-importable in November 0f 13, it is aready too late. It takes over a year to get anything back.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
242 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,664 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.