Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is nothing that sez you can't develope a load, sight in the rifle, and practice, practice, practice with the cheap stuff in similar size and then, right before hunting season, break out the high priced spread and make any sight adjustments needed, and go hunting.

Aim for the exit hole.
HR IC

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There's also nothing that says a standard cup and core won't [bleep] schit up.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't like tracking deer in the pucker brush.

There is a philosophical difference here. Your answer is not addressing the original question.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have been hunting and killing deer,elk,pronghorn, for over 40 years. I have yet to run many premium bullets thru my guns.I think maybe 35 yrs ago I might have shot a few partitions but that would be about all. I don't shoot the cheapest,but shoot the most acurate C&C bullet that is designed for the hunt I go on.Usually Sierras. I have probably shot more than most on this forum but not as many as some
I have agrand total of two aniamls lost out of probably 100.Both my fault due to poor shot placement.

AS I have said many times.Using the so called premium bullets when not required is like paying a $500 hooker for a $5 oral sex job. You feel the same when done.

Talk to the rancher,farmer or blue collar worker that has maybe 4 boys hunting with him and money comes hard, but him and those boys want to hunt. Ask him if he uses premium bullets.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore

AS I have said many times.Using the so called premium bullets when not required is like paying a $500 hooker for a $5 oral sex job. You feel the same when done.

Damn! NOW ya tell me! laugh

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Ringman

There is a philosophical difference here. Your answer is not addressing the original question.

I wasn't answering the original question. I was answering yours regarding a quick clean kill.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This is what I know from experience, the less an animal suffers or runs, the better the meat, meat being the main reason I hunt, therefore I will use whatever kills the animal the fastest. I guess it's not as important when I need a doe, 'cuz I'm gonna brain'em anyway, but of great importance when I'm shooting at a buck. Besides, I'm not into torturing animals.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted By: Ringman
Quote:
How about a quick,humane kill?

Still I ask, upon what do you base the idea we should try for a quick, humane kill?

I wasn't answering the original question. I was answering yours regarding a quick clean kill.

I should have posted, you didn't answer MY original question.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Well here I go. I get really worn out when someone post on here they don't want to buy "premium" bullets (whatever that means) because they are too expensive YET they come on here wanting to know what the best bullet is to kill a deer. I MIGHT understand if you were someone who had to shoot a 100 deer a day but give me a break, how many shots are you shooting, if you are shooting 100's of rounds, then buy the cheap blems and blaze away.

During hunting season I would bet most of us might go through 100 rounds, testing loads, practicing, etc. but when hunting how many shots do you take? Enough to matter money wise? Don't we owe it to the animal to kill it with the best there is?

OR you can look at it, the blems killem as dead as the North Forks or even a Ballistice Tip. Then why even ask which bullet to use.

I think most here are like me...I'm an All Day Sucker for the latest greatest stuff there is, hell I almost spent $65 on 50 North Fork bullets at the Safari Club Show but they didn't have my size.

So my point is, if you are worried anout the cost of your bullets, buy the cheapest bullet there is and shoot it... don't ask whaich one to buy.....Rant over, ya'll can pile on now...

You proved your point about being an "all day sucker", or just a sucker with no comprehension as to what works...Like mentioned, hornady interlocks, sierra gamekings, winchester powerpoints and remington corelokts kill deer just as dead as the premiums do...By the way, if you can kill a deer with just .45 cents worth of bullet, you are doing good: Obviously you didn't take into consideration the load work-up, practice with that particular bullet and fine tuning, but hey if you can do all that with one shot my hat goes off to you... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SAUMHUNTER79
Up by me, Barnes bullets in 7mm and .30 Cal are about .80 cents a piece. Hornady GMXs are .68 cents a piece. A dead buck is worth $24.00 and a dead doe or fawn is worth $12.00, good meat on the table is priceless. I can afford to hunt with whatever bullet I chose, I still use .34 cent a piece Hornady Interlocks because they work well and put deer down fast, if I needed more I'd use it. If I were hunting elk or moose, I'd probably use Partitions or monos, I just don't need them for the deer by me, maybe whitetail are tougher in other parts of the USA, I know Wyoming whitetail and mule deer aren't, because I've taken a few out there with the same schitty Hornadys I've been using for 18 yrs now, and they all died fast with very little suffering.

Same here brother...Why try to fix something that isn't broken???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't worry about the cost of hunting bullets. Then again, I'm not going to waste 100's of Partitions on paper and rocks...

Partitions print very close if not right on top of some Hornadys and Sierras. Easy to practice with "cheap" bullets and fine tune the "premium" one's quickly before season starts.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
So am I supposed to be upset because I can afford $500 an hour hookers, I mean bullets?

I'm confused.

LOL

Saddlesore is right more than he knows - premium bullets like Barnes give you a tad bit more flexibility with a high vel. So you can shoot stuff very close without causing too much damage and still pull off the long shots. Does a 500 dollar hooker give you more flexibility, I'll leave that up to the reader.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
The RIGHT question is - how many bullets do you fire setting up a load, and sighting in each year vs. killing the game with.
More me that's about 30:1

So multiply the 45 cents a couple more times...

That's $13.50. I spent more than that for the toilet paper, potato chips, and cookies I took to my deer camp last week.

The cost of premium bullets are miniscule compared to what I spend on deer hunting every year, so to me it's a no brainer to use the premiums. I just don't shoot my big game rifles enough for an extra $50 a year to matter. If I had 4 boys hunting and was on a very limited income then I might feel differently. For me I've got a limited amount of time to hunt and want to make the most of it. I have had some not so desirable results out of standard factory bullets. Years ago I bought a new 7mm rem mag and wasn't set up to handload it, so I bought a couple of boxes of winchester 150 gr. power points, sighted it in and went hunting. The first three deer I shot with it all ran into the most ungodly thick cutovers you could imagine. I specifically remember being on my hands and knees in the rain and mud, pulling briars off of me, with a flashlight in my mouth blood trailing a deer through this cutover. That was not pleasant. Those 150 gr. power points were way too tough for out little southern whitetails and wouldn't expand, winchester must have figured that they were going to be shot at elk and built them pretty stout. After the first three ran several hundred yards each I threw the remaining factory ammo in the cupboard and bought some reloading dies. My trailing adventures ceased when I started shooting some decent bullets at them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Almost forty years ago I used some Hordnady 175 spitzers. I hit a deer in the shoulder about ten yards away fired from my 7mm-.300 Weatherby. None of the bullet entered the chest cavity. It turned so I shot it at the base of the tail dropping it. I then put one in the back of the neck.

From then on I used Nosler 175 and 160 Partitions until the Barnes X came out. I used them up to last year. Next season I will be using G.S.Customs for everything. Specifically I will use 85 grainers in my .257SLR. I am hopping for 3,800 feet per second. My most accurate groups and lowest SD's in my .375 and 7STW came while using them.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Almost forty years ago I used some Hordnady 175 spitzers. I hit a deer in the shoulder about ten yards away fired from my 7mm-.300 Weatherby. None of the bullet entered the chest cavity. It turned so I shot it at the base of the tail dropping it. I then put one in the back of the neck.

[Linked Image] TFF. The muzzle blast alone at that distance should have killed him. Musta been an armor plated Ninja deer.

Swifty
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Swifty52

[Linked Image] TFF. The muzzle blast alone at that distance should have killed him. Musta been an armor plated Ninja deer.

No, it was a cheap bullet, at high velocity, at very close range.

This is a great recipe for what he described.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you've been shooting a load with a Sierra of the same weight(even a BT or something similar),practicing to distance with that,and know the rifle,you should be done with load development with a Partition in about 10 shots(if that).

That leaves 40 bullets to load for your hunt.

If it takes more than that to get a Partition load,there's something wromg with your rifle. Get it fixed or trip it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Swifty52

No, it was a cheap bullet, at high velocity, at very close range.

This is a great recipe for what he described.

No, what I am saying is you dont need a 7 or 300 super whizzum shooting an 80 cent bullet to do a 20 cent job. In fact I have never taken a deer with a rifle closer than 125 yrds, and when I did it wasnt shooting a 80 cent bullet.

Buck taken at 65 yrds 3 years ago. Thought he was a 140, but busted tine.

[Linked Image]

Look at the size of his neck, and the busted tine. Dressed out at 175 lbs.

[Linked Image]

Shot him once with this, 41 mag 210 XTP going 1500 fps, which is fast. Purchased in 73

[Linked Image]

Total cost of the Round 22 cents. Bullet cost me 17 cents. I practice with a hard cast at the same speed that costs me 6 cents. Been doing this for 30 years, but I guess I need to buy a super whizzum rifle and premium bullets so I can come on here and complain about cheap bullet performance.

Swifty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wyohunter99
Is all about shot placement. Practice, practice, practice!

there ya go again...

there is always some guy who comes in and talks common sense, based on experience....

and messes up the discussion on what recently introduced spendy trendy bullet is 'best' for this season, and will be old news come next season...

myself, I follow the wisdom and experiences of Wyohunter99 here...

of course guys like me spend my time, instead of arguing the merits of which trendy bullet is best, complaining about manufacturers ending production on all of those Round Nose and SMP bullets I have loved all of these past years...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Quote" No, what I am saying is you don't need a 7 or 300 super whizzum shooting an 80 cent bullet to do a 20 cent job."

Said nicer than what I did, but all these guys touting that you just have to use premium bullets reminds me of the guys who drive a new $50K diesel pickup, w/brush guard, winch, headache bar, Goodyear Duratrack tires,fancy chrome rims, light bars across the top. and and topper on it without so much as a trailer hitch and the pickup never goes off the pavement. However,they just have to have it or they can't get to work.

I was talking to a neighbor the other day about the complex, expensive software being used in the acconting of our treasury.She changed it all over to a simple Excel spread sheet.Her final comment hit the nail on the head.We were using a 10 passenger,super charge van to get up the hill when all we needed was a tricycle. Same goes for the pick of what bullet we need to use.

If I used a rifle with magnum type velocities or required deep penetration,I'd use the bullet that did thejob for that task. However,I have yet to run into a deer that required the magnum chamberins.For that matter,I'd say the same about elk.Use what you want though,but don't be skeptical of all the hunters out there who use what they have found to work.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.