Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TDMax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I've always wanted an AR, but have never actively pursued one. Given the current political climate can a guy even find something that's priced reasonably?

I'd want something nicer more like REALLY nice. Something along the lines of the AR equivalent of a Sako rifle. I'm prepared to spend $2-3k but I don't want to spend that kind of money for something that was only worth $1k just a few short months ago.

I'd probably go .223 for standardized economical ammo. Selective single fire (manual cycle) wouldn't be a bad idea either in the event a guy wanted to plink and collect brass without a catcher. Top notch trigger mandatory thinking 16" and maybe a medium to lighter contour stainless barrel possibly coated to be black or olive/camo. Nothing gawdy like most of the Red Jacket crap you see on TV with a toatser etc. A light holder, maybe a dot of some sort and the ability to switch to fixed sights maybe. Adjustable butt stock I guess as well.

There's just so many options out there and I want to steer clear of teh "average" quality stuff.

Last edited by TDMax; 01/12/13.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Really nice rifles were not 1000 a few months ago.

SOunds like where you should start is something like Wilson or La Rue and then see what they have and when it'll be available. I usually suggest White Oak, but sounds like you really don't have a clue of what you want, and they work much better with folks that know about exactly what they need and want. The others sell you what they think you need.

I talked to La Rues brother last night, they were about to build another building and expand even more, than their current 120 employees. But all thats on hold now. They are still buillding as quickly as they can but this could put 120 plus people out of work overnight depending on what happens and when.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Up until last week I could buy Colts for retail. However, the dealer is sold out now with none coming in until Lat Feb, early March.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
about double from a month ago is a fair deal now. Just wait, things will get better.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Some manufacturers haven't raised their prices. BCM and Daniel Defense have held steady. If you get lucky you can catch rifles in stock with them and get a great rifle for the normal price.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The used market is where you are going to see the extremely high prices as some guys are willing to pay very high amounts to get their AR before any potential legislation is passed.

Just wait untill congres starts to actually debate gun control bills, there will be another buying frenzy on top of the one already under way.

If you are willing to wait, you can still place orders and purchase guns from the majority of AR15 companies at standard prices. However, if the demand does not substanitally come down after the panic, there will be a rise in prices from the gun manufacturers as it will take some time for the need for more manufacturing capacity to actually come into production. The reason being is that there is a relatively few number of companies making most of the parts used for a very large number of AR15 companies.

Last edited by chicoredneck; 01/12/13.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There will not be an assault rifle ban, probably not a high capacity magazine ban either. Most likely nationwide background check of some kind. All the idiots that waited til last week and spent $5K on a $1000 black rifle will be crying in their beer. IF they pass a magazine restriction then no problemo, a 10 round 6.8SPC is what I will go with next.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jimmyp
There will not be an assault rifle ban, probably not a high capacity magazine ban either. Most likely nationwide background check of some kind. All the idiots that waited til last week and spent $5K on a $1000 black rifle will be crying in their beer. IF they pass a magazine restriction then no problemo, a 10 round 6.8SPC is what I will go with next.

I have a feeling you're right.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ny already has a 10 round mag limit and Cuomo is trying to make it 7

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp

You are absoluely correct! I personally wouldnt buy a damn thing right now at these inflated prices. When these dumbazzes in Congress have to make decisions that WILL affect their job security, they will never put the bills proposed ahead of their constituents approval. There wont be a dmn thing done other than additional background check criterias. You mark my words on this and the market for these black rifles and their accessories is going to be flooded with overpriced crap that WILL come down in price based on supply and demand.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
no one knows if or when they'll pass this or that. Its all circumspect at the moment.

We do NOT need to let our guard down at all though.

I would not be satisfied if they banned over 10, to simply buy a 10 round 6.8 mag though...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by TDMax
I've always wanted an AR, but have never actively pursued one. Given the current political climate can a guy even find something that's priced reasonably?

I'd want something nicer more like REALLY nice. Something along the lines of the AR equivalent of a Sako rifle. I'm prepared to spend $2-3k but I don't want to spend that kind of money for something that was only worth $1k just a few short months ago.

Now is not the time to buy, wait. Prices will most likely come back down when this mess falls out, and even if they don't they won't go any higher than they are now. There are a lot of hoarded rifles and parts out there now, you'll still be able to buy or build a really nice rifle a few months from now. $2-3k now is only going to buy you something worth $1k a few weeks ago.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
give this Obama Scare a little time and you will a find one you can afford

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
TDMax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks guys I'll keep an eye out but think I'll move on to my shotgun plan which is a Benelli M2 or M4 defense and revisit this subject when things tone down a bit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"Priced reasonably" for today's market? Yes. For the market as it was a few weeks ago, not so much. As people with their head in the sand and want it to be? Good luck.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/13/13.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks guys I'll keep an eye out but think I'll move on to my shotgun plan which is a Benelli M2 or M4 defense and revisit this subject when things tone down a bit.

Yeah, for damn sure, if you can risk not owning one at all, the last thing I'd do is buy now.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That was my feeling. Maybe things will quiet down, and maybe there will be real restrictions. Our president has already shown his willingness to use any means he thinks he can get away with to get what he wants. I would not be surprised if he does try something by executive order, along with all the legislation already coming down the road. Hell, here in Colorado our democratic state legislators are introducing legislation for various gun control measures. I don't think this is something to take lightly. We need to fight for our gun rights now, like we have never had to before. If you really want one, it might wise buy it now, while you still can.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cobrad
... Hell, here in Colorado our democratic state legislators are introducing legislation for various gun control measures. I don't think this is something to take lightly. We need to fight for our gun rights now, like we have never had to before. If you really want one, it might wise buy it now, while you still can.

At the moment I have a S&W M&P15 in .300 Blackout with and extra Rock River Coyote upper. Figured the upper isn't all that much good without a lower unless I want to swap all the time, which I don't. Went online and bought a new Rock River lower for less than I can assemble one right now.

Worst case I figure I might lose a couple hundred bucks, but on the other hand I can assemble a complete AR-15 and have a pretty liquid asset that is worth way more than I paid - about $1500 more. If Obama and his minions get their way it will be worth considerably more than that.

Only problem I'll have is deciding which to sell - the .300 Blackout or the .223/5.56.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
TDMax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I think my strategy will be wait and see. I believe this will settle down a bit and things will level out.

To that end who would you suggest as a good dealer for Noveske?

I'm thinking I like the switchblock concept. and something in the 16.5 or 18" range stainless then coat the barrel to match.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd order direct from Noveske. Just keep watching their site and order what you want when it comes in. I will say, I ordered a barrel from them the day after John died and never got a confirmation email, couldn't reach by phone or email. Given the circumstances, I waited and it showed up yesterday, still haven't got an email. They don't charge your CC till it ships.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 76 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,584
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.