Print Thread
Hop To
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Years ago we had 209, 109,157s... Got to be bothersome to an extent knowing which to buy...

Then it seemed like everyone went to 209s which made it easier.

I"m about 20 years since loading shotgun...But I really need to start again. And I have no primers at all basically.

Question is, I'll be loading for steel shot and lead for dove only. If I found some primers at a decent price, could I blindly buy 10 or 15,000 of 209s of about any maker and be fine later on.

I do have 6 trash cans full of range pickup of all kinds of hulls, mostly for "throw away" short range duck loads where they hit saltwater after you go bang. Have enough AA hulls for doves. And then a good stash of Rem and Federal 3 inch hulls for longer shots.

Just wondering if its even feasible these days to use the same primers....

And will be running some 16 ga dove and probably 410 rounds in the future too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I stick with published recipes for reloading. You will find plenty of data for domestic primers (Win, CCI, Rem, Fed)from Hodgdon, Alliant and in the newest Lyman book. With all that info I'm sure you could pick a primer to do it all.

European primers have less data available (Noble Sport, Fiochi, Cheddite, Wolf, etc..)

Hodgdon has printed that Win 209's and Nobel Sport 209's can be used interchangably.

I avoid subbing anything not printed in available data. If you want one primer that has a good variety of published data I would look to Win209's, CCI209's, or Fed209m's. Remington's are Way too pricey. European stuff produces unreliable preformance and there are many reports of piercing.

The Fed209m is a mag primer. Note the reduced powder charges in data. I was buying them for $120/5k before the latest scare. None locally now. Win's are still available at about $138/5k.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good info to have. Thats what I was after. In rifles the euro primers are actually WAY better, even the Russian ones in accuracy and such than our domestic ones. Hence the question.

And yes on following the books, I have whatver the latest thing is on steel loads. But don't have a very new lead loads book.

What I was after, was without doing hours of reading, is something pretty universal these days.

Sounds like the old standby WW209 will work just fine and thats probably then what I"ll hold out for unless I have a fear and can find only eruo ones i may buy 5000 just because.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by rost495
If I found some primers at a decent price, could I blindly buy 10 or 15,000 of 209s of about any maker and be fine later on.

Originally Posted by rost495
Sounds like the old standby WW209 will work just fine and thats probably then what I"ll hold out for unless I have a fear and can find only eruo ones i may buy 5000 just because.

Jeff-

You've reloaded plenty over the years, so I trust that you'll get what I'm saying.

Sure, you can buy 10-15K of whatever primers you can find a deal on, and with all of the info available out there, will most likely be able to find a load that will accomodate them.

But it's so much easier to start your load development by identifying the hull you want to use, then the payload weight, and make the powder, wad, and powder fit accordingly.

Kind of the way we pick the bullet we want with our rifles, and then find an appropriate powder to push them.

In other words, you already have the hulls, so start there, not with the primers.

Primer prices are pretty close across the board, so other than availabilty, there's no real reason to go rushing out and buying 10K of someting that may take a lot of work to find a good load.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I got that totally.. what I was after was a quick buy on a few primers just in case .gov did something stupid like limit numbers of primers or such..

Will certainly go the route of hull, then rest of components. Shotshell primers is where i have just about none though and that kinda makes me feel dumb...

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I can understand that. More than .gov limiting numbers, I'm more concerned with our fellow shooters going into hoarding mode and drying up supplies again.

www.gamaliel.com or www.powdervalleyinc.com , and order a brick or three.

Regardless of the rest of the formula, you'll always find plenty of loads for the Win 209, or look at Fed or CCI 209s as alternates. I've used all three.

Between all of them, you're certain to find some availability, at decent prices.

Go snoop around on www.shotgunworld.com or www.trapshooters.com for a bunch of load suggestions.

Have fun!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
plenty of primers right now.

check out: http://conniescomponents.com/photo_page.html

I would not hesitate to use Fiocchi primers for the dove loads. For heavy field loads or steel loads I'd stick with the prescribed components to a "t".

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I order direct from dealers so the availibility varies but I do appreciate the links and input.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Only difference I have noticed in 209 primers is the physcial size , some seem to fit tighter in hulls than others

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
That used to be an issue years ago too... seemed IIRC that 157s fit some hulls or was it 109s... better than others..

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 1,732 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.