Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
are there any western states that offer an over the counter (non draw) rifle tag for mule deer

thinking about a possible diy hunt out west on public land

thanks in advance

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
there are lots of states that are really easy to draw, here there are lots of areas that are unlimited, but you have to go through a "draw" where you buy them online and there is no limit to licenses, but it's not over the counter.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you looking just to bag a mule deer, or do you want a trophy?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wyoming usually has nonresident licenses left over after the drawing that can be bought without going into a drawing. They won't be in the most popular areas, and might have alot of private land so access won't be easy, but it can still be had.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
you looking just to bag a mule deer, or do you want a trophy?

any thing i would shoot IMO would be a trophy to me

but to answer you a question i am not looking for no 200 inch deer

and wouldnt care to shoot a weee lil one

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took 2 does with a muzzleloader this year, NR tags are $80 for 2 does any species.

if it has to be a buck, then do your research, one can be had almost anywhere, just have to put some effort into it.

imagine someone going to where you live and wanted to shoot a nice 4x4 whitetail, doesn't have to be a B&C, but they want a nice one. what would your response be? pretty much the same as it is out here.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Get on the various states websites, and look for last years draw results. It will show you how many hunters put in and how many tags were allocated.

There will be several that had leftover tags, which go on sale the day after the drawing, first come first serve. You can use that information to tell you where you could likely get a tag the next season, barring management changes.

you figure out the units that usually have leftover tags, and cross reference that with which ones have lots of public land.

Decide where you want to go, and call them the day after the drawing is held to buy your tags.

Last edited by smalljawbasser; 01/12/13.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
to answer your question, yes. Idaho, i'd recommend south central. TO complicate things some units in that area are on an unlimited draw, meaning you will get a tag but you have to apply for it. Some units are OTC. (and also limited entry).

My advice would be to apply for a limited entry in idaho, there is no point system there so you have as good of chance as anyone.If you dont draw (likely not) go ahead and plan your OTC hunt. If you're not picky and hunt hard there is no reason you wont score on a buck.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
not looking for a 200 inch one... thats funny. Ain't many of them around period anyway.

Just remember muleys are such that you probably can't accumulate 20 tags or so in one season, you may have to be happy with only one deer on a hunt.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
pmc and my self are in the early stages of putting something together for 2015 as it will be 10 years since we hunted antelope in NM.

my ex father in law hunted the badlands of ND several times he even killed a 179 inch one up there on public land, i actually put in for that unit one year but was not drawn.

do the states out west allow you to put in the draw as a group or party... where we both put in and either both are drawn or neither

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Idaho has OTC deer tags. Montana didn't used to, but they have had leftovers the past two years. Nebraska is first come first served with a cap that doesn't usually sell out until a few days before the season starts. Texas licenses include a mule deer or two, but of course there's the access issues.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by DEER_ASSASSIN
are there any western states that offer an over the counter (non draw) rifle tag for mule deer

thinking about a possible diy hunt out west on public land

thanks in advance

If you want a shot at a trophy buck, you're almost assuredly going to have to apply for premium areas. I'd suggest that you consider acquiring bonus points for trophy areas in western states.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
shouldnt be too hard, you see 10 year old girls on these kinds of forums often with big kills

unless those are corn pile kills with sand bags and daddy pulling the trigger

you wouldnt know what to think DA, different when the animal is 3ft taller than the surrounding vegetation for 5 miles. Just wave your hat at them,
they'll stop, look and pose the 7saum laugh

aint like hunting whitetails in hardwood/briars running 400mph (away from the hunter)

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

imagine someone going to where you live and wanted to shoot a nice 4x4 whitetail, doesn't have to be a B&C, but they want a nice one. what would your response be? pretty much the same as it is out here.

grin grin

I would NOT lie but would NOT suggest 'where' I hunt.

I'd suggest some 'other' area with good population 'not close' to mine. smile

Last edited by jwall; 01/14/13.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
PMC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took 2 does with a muzzleloader this year, NR tags are $80 for 2 does any species.

if it has to be a buck, then do your research, one can be had almost anywhere, just have to put some effort into it.

To get an 8 pt on public land here I'd suggest LBL or TN Wildlife Refuge around Britton Ford

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by PMC

To get an 8 pt on public land here I'd suggest LBL or TN Wildlife Refuge around Britton Ford

I have no issue helping any fellow hunter out

I suggest lbl on TNWR britton ford/sulphur wells island or percy priest wma or cheatham wma

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's this year's Idaho OTC buck from unit 48.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
shouldnt be too hard, you see 10 year old girls on these kinds of forums often with big kills

unless those are corn pile kills with sand bags and daddy pulling the trigger

you wouldnt know what to think DA, different when the animal is 3ft taller than the surrounding vegetation for 5 miles. Just wave your hat at them,
they'll stop, look and pose the 7saum laugh

aint like hunting whitetails in hardwood/briars running 400mph (away from the hunter)

DA, Please include the dumbass in the quote on your hunt..take lots of pics.

Thanks!

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Here's this year's Idaho OTC buck from unit 48.

[Linked Image]

that is a dang fine buck that thing would be in my living room for sure

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jwall

grin grin

I would NOT lie but would NOT suggest 'where' I hunt.

I'd suggest some 'other' area with good population 'not close' to mine. smile

i never asked for specific units or locations my question was about states and the availability of tags, any other info is always appreciated it is not like I will be up there all the time at the rate now once every 10 years. Truth be told we may just hook up with the land owner in NM outside of clayton and go there again but i really like to try something new like Mule Deer

From what I have seen from New Mexico in 2005 antelope hunting the west is pretty wide freaking open

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
198 members (300jimmy, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 01Foreman400, 18 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.