Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Ringman
Almost forty years ago I used some Hordnady 175 spitzers. I hit a deer in the shoulder about ten yards away fired from my 7mm-.300 Weatherby. None of the bullet entered the chest cavity. It turned so I shot it at the base of the tail dropping it. I then put one in the back of the neck.

[Linked Image] TFF. The muzzle blast alone at that distance should have killed him. Musta been an armor plated Ninja deer.

No, it was a cheap bullet, at high velocity, at very close range.

This is a great recipe for what he described.

No, what I am saying is you dont need a 7 or 300 super whizzum shooting an 80 cent bullet to do a 20 cent job. In fact I have never taken a deer with a rifle closer than 125 yrds, and when I did it wasnt shooting a 80 cent bullet.

Buck taken at 65 yrds 3 years ago. Thought he was a 140, but busted tine.

[Linked Image]

Look at the size of his neck, and the busted tine. Dressed out at 175 lbs.

[Linked Image]

Shot him once with this, 41 mag 210 XTP going 1500 fps, which is fast. Purchased in 73

[Linked Image]

Total cost of the Round 22 cents. Bullet cost me 17 cents. I practice with a hard cast at the same speed that costs me 6 cents. Been doing this for 30 years, but I guess I need to buy a super whizzum rifle and premium bullets so I can come on here and complain about cheap bullet performance.

Swifty, it looks like you have a nice, private hunting preserve.

Please understand, that some of us have to hunt on public land. We can't just walk outback the chickencoop with a pistol and shoot such a dandy deer.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I definately agree with you Seafire.

We can't just walk outback the chickencoop with a pistol and shoot such a dandy deer.

I didnt. This is TFF. Dont own the ground, and it sure as hell wasnt private.

Swifty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

We can't just walk outback the chickencoop with a pistol and shoot such a dandy deer.

You might want to think about selling a few rifles and putting that car out of its misery too.... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My best bullet.
cost 5 cents

[Linked Image]

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
On the more serious side, almost ever " cup and core" bullet failed me situation, you will find bad shot placement.

Of course, that isn't what the guy meant to do, but if had been a Barnes x or other high dollar bullet the same result would very likely have occurred.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You might want to think about selling a few rifles and putting that car out of its misery too.... grin

Yep that old car belonged to the guy who lived there. Right after I got the critter skinned, we pulled the motor and tranny that were sold to another farmer down there. It then got loaded on my car trailer and off to the auto graveyard it went.
As far as the rifles, I had thought about that, but I just couldnt bring myself to sell a half inch hunting rifle on the cheap side. That Blackhawk goes with me on every hunt, and gets shot about 500 rounds a year. Used to shoot IHMSA with it. Knocks down the 300 yard steel real well, but my eyes aint that good anymore.

Swifty
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I stepped up with more expensive bullets this year. For a bear hunt with my 15 yr old son I decided to step up and not worry about the cost. In 1985?? I bought 1000 Rem. 130 gr core-locs for 7.3 cents each. Worked for everything I shot at. But 130 might be kinda light for a big "ol" bear so I went to Cabelas and splurged on Hornandy 150 gr interlcock at 23 cents each. Now, that extra 15.7 cents may or may not have mattered but I am sure the 7.3 cent bullet would have worked on a 206 lb blackie. I'm still not sure I made the right financial decision but what the heck I still have 99 left for a life time of bear hunting. Now for deer, I'll just stick to the 7 cent bullets till they're gone. I have about 500 left.

Last edited by ihookem; 01/14/13.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Standard c-c bullets work fine if I place them well.
If I drive them fast it can be hard on the meat so I back them down a bit and shoot ribs or shoot premiums and shoot bambi in the front half.
Deer usually don't require premiums though.
If it's a deer/elk combo hunt, sure a better bullet is loaded unless I'm out with a frontloader.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone is different and has different opinions. Yours is as good and might be better than mine, I'm just in love with mine.

I like to shoot the bullets that are the most accurate and perform the best at the distances I am most likely to encounter for the particular game I will be hunting.

If I'm hunting antelope at long ranges in open country it would be one type of bullet vs. hunting big bull elk in deep dense timber where distances might be under 50 yards and then one hop and they are gone. That also would involved different type rifles and different calibers.

From my experience over the years I have bought and used a lot of top dollar bullets but have gravitated back to what I find to be the most accurate for the application which has settled on Nosler Ballistic Tips for the jacketed bullets and Lazer cast 405g for the heavy cover with the 45/70.

I switched back to a more "regular" priced bullet, not for the price, but for the performance. Our family has come to depend on the NBT's for varmints, deer, antelope and elk and have been pleased with the accuracy and the in the field performance. Simple.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
redhill makes an excellent point. Most folks don't shoot regular bullets for the price, they shoot them 'cause they get the job done. Other than braggin' rights, what difference does it make if you drive a VW or a Porsche to work as long as you get there on time.
I've been up the money scale and back down again with my bullet selection. Other the years, I don't think I've shot a single head of game that wouldn't be as dead, as quickly if I'd been using a "regular" bullet.

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
redhill makes an excellent point. Most folks don't shoot regular bullets for the price, they shoot them 'cause they get the job done. Other than braggin' rights, what difference does it make if you drive a VW or a Porsche to work as long as you get there on time.
I've been up the money scale and back down again with my bullet selection. Other the years, I don't think I've shot a single head of game that wouldn't be as dead, as quickly if I'd been using a "regular" bullet.

I agree with you about Redhill making an excellent point. I just love his posts.

My travels through the "premium" bullet world did not end up with better results just disappointment in the performance. Perhaps I was not matching the right bullet construction with the proper caliber for a particular species. I agree with the "premium is the only way to go" crowd in that in many circumstances it allows for upgraded performance in calibers that are deemed too small by the magnum crowd.

My experience with Partitions and Barnes X types was complete penetration and penciling through of the game animal resulting in more shots needed and the fear of losing the game. Perhaps production methods have changed since I last tried them out but at this point I am leery about moving away from something that has proven itself over and over again by myself and my hunting styles and our sons in theirs.

Newer isn't better......better is better. Simple.

Last edited by Redhill; 01/15/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Put a bullet constructed for deer, not varmints, in the right place and get out your knife.

Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
For deer, regular bullets will often kill faster than a premium. If you are going after something bigger, that's a different story.

Yep

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.