Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by rem141r
i have a 2005 Ram 1500 with the open diff and it is absolutely ball-less off the road. wet grass is too much for it. i was thinking of getting a limited slip put in this spring, but the truck spends a lot more time grocery running than mudding. anyone have any advice on what rear mods to make for a decent compromise?

Detroit Tru-trac

GB2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mossy
Originally Posted by rem141r
i have a 2005 Ram 1500 with the open diff and it is absolutely ball-less off the road. wet grass is too much for it. i was thinking of getting a limited slip put in this spring, but the truck spends a lot more time grocery running than mudding. anyone have any advice on what rear mods to make for a decent compromise?

Detroit Tru-trac

I have always had LS in my trucks and never had a problem. In your situation you could get limited slip or even possibly an air locker to use only when conditions warrant it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't think locking differentials are going to cause you any problems. I've never owned a 4x4 that didn't have lockers.

I've heard guys complain about lockers on ice, but I think the cause of thier problems was probably brakes not differentials. If your vehicles pulls to a side when you brake on dry ground, it is going to spin you on ice.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The longer the wheelbase the less squirly a locker equipped rig is. I've had them in an early Bronco and full sized trucks. The bronco was scary on any kind of an icy road, but I wouldn't have a truck without one.
for an on road truck, Detroit locker but an off road rig you can't beat an ARB air locker.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Reba
I owned one pickup with an open diff. It was terrible. I install a factory unit and it was great. With the open dii it wanted to swap ends on slick pavement. With the limited slip it's fun to drive.

Isn't that kinda backwards to everybody else's results!

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by senior
I owned one pickup with an open diff. It was terrible. I install a factory unit and it was great. With the open dii it wanted to swap ends on slick pavement. With the limited slip it's fun to drive.

Except that with a limited slip you don't spin as soon or as often or as much...you just keep driving.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

You'll never realize how GOOD your limited slip is until you drive a vehicle w/o one.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
for an on road truck, Detroit locker but an off road rig you can't beat an ARB air locker.

This is bass-ackwards. That Detroit locking and unlocking will spin your ass out on an icy curve in an instant. The open diff (unlocked ARB), is just that OPEN, nothing banging and popping and unlocking.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by senior

No, it's frickin' physics...and a fact. Having both wheels on one axle locked together is bad juju on icy roads. Having an centersection that changes drive force from a spinning wheel to a non-spinning wheel is as good as it gets.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Having an centersection that changes drive force from a spinning wheel to a non-spinning wheel is as good as it gets.
...as long as you keep of the throttle and don't get BOTH spinning. Then it's as bad as it gets. It's also the point of this whole thread. I wanted to hear from guys who use them on the highway (NOT off road) about how much problem they have with both sides spinning out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

This is bass-ackwards. That Detroit locking and unlocking will spin your ass out on an icy curve in an instant. The open diff (unlocked ARB), is just that OPEN, nothing banging and popping and unlocking.

Whatever, I only drive on snow and ice for 7 months out of the year, what do I know?

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Having an centersection that changes drive force from a spinning wheel to a non-spinning wheel is as good as it gets.
...as long as you keep of the throttle and don't get BOTH spinning. Then it's as bad as it gets. It's also the point of this whole thread. I wanted to hear from guys who use them on the highway (NOT off road) about how much problem they have with both sides spinning out.

Limited slip diffs have been around forever. I'll bet more people have driven vehicles that didn't know it was equipped with one than people that did. As I said in an earlier post,you really don't know what it's like to have a limited slip until you've driven a vehicle w/o one. Even my wife says she doesn't like not having one in our Cherokee. They're that good.

How does limited slip work?
Clutch packs inside the differential create additional resistance. This resistance is always present. It is called preload. So, whenever one side wants to start rotating faster than the other, this resistance (preload), in addition to the traction present at the wheel has to be overcome before a tire can spin.
Traction and preload have to be high enough to keep tires from spinning but low enough to still allow tires to rotate at different speeds in a turn. Since the preload has to be kept low enough to allow safe cornering the slowing effect on wheels that want to spin is marginal. It works in easy off-road conditions and on mildly slippery roads. For serious off-road use and very slippery roads (snow, ice) limited slip is not powerful enough. It limits slip but it does not prevent it completely

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Looks to me like some people are talking past each other here. Maybe not and everybody but me knows when a clutch type posi is meant and when a locker is meant.

My own experience is that a clutch type posi is highly desirable for general use and a locker is highly desirable for specific needs. I had an early Bronco ( Spring production with a newly available 289) with a clutch type posi front and rear and never had a problem - despite warning of a slip steer effect in front I didn't see it. Drove that Bronco from Florida beaches to North Idaho with no traction control issues. I did see times on a soft surface throwing roostertails from all four corners and sliding sideways but all the wheels were driving. Compare that with the long ago very early full time 4X4 GMC with an open differential at each axle and open differential in the middle - jack one wheel up and those things wouldn't drive off the jack. If I haven't made myself clear under no circumstances would I prefer an open differential including glare ice and black ice - assuming good tires and all the rest of it. I did have an F250 highboy 4X4 that would bring the back around at the slightest provocation but that's another story of weight distribution and wheels and especially hard cross bar type tires.

Again a modern traction control system is all around better than any of the old systems but who wants to take a fancy new Audi or Benz up a logging road in deep snow - and it's imperative to have clearance for good chains but that's another issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

With a factory installed limited slip or a GM locking dif they will spin both tires going around corners and want to swap ends ... if you're in 2WD and only if you're not careful. This is more prevalent in sharp corners at low speeds rather than highway speeds on gentler corners.

As soon as you put into 4WD it becomes a non issue. Having one front wheel helping pull you through a corner reduces the tendency for the rear end to slide out at any speed. Bottom line, a limited slip rear end is very well behaved on slick roads when you're in 4WD. 2WD is an entirely different beast and if the roads are slick use 4WD. Problem solved.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Japanese mini truck, the rear diff is open unless in 4wd, when you engage 4WD it locks the axles, the little truck is unstoppable in the snow, a little interesting on ice but totally manageable, unfortunately their is not a lot of droop in the suspension so on rocks in low range it is real easy to crawl yourself over on to your side, fortunately the little truck weighs 1100 lbs and can be put right with a come-a-long in short order.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was wondering how you were liking that outfit Wyo.

Overall you dig?

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fish head
I should have added this. The absolute worst vehicles I've ever driven in snowy conditions were all rear wheel/open dif/one wheel drive.

I have swapped ends a few times on the highway in a LS rear diff rig always on black ice or freezing rain conditions. Also saw my dad kick the rear out and slide backwards of a gravel fs road due to both tires locking up and lack of any lateral traction. But that was off highway. My current rig is a LS tacoma and its very good in ice and snow, but i run studded snow tires after wrecking my last tacoma on black ice. Tires make more of a difference than anything.

An open diff rear is not one wheel drive. Its either two wheel drive or zero wheel drive. If you have traction both tires put equal power to the ground. If you break one free neither tire puts power to the ground so its zero wheel drive

In my opinion there is zero advantage to a LS diff on highway in slippery conditions. More likely to lose control especially going around a corner if you have your foot on the gas. Off highway they definitely have some advantages

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SeanD

An open diff rear is not one wheel drive. Its either two wheel drive or zero wheel drive. If you have traction both tires put equal power to the ground. If you break one free neither tire puts power to the ground so its zero wheel drive

Sorry, but you're incorrect. Get stuck with an open dif and see how may tires turn. I guarantee you it won't be two or zero.

Or ...

Do a burn out with an open dif and see many tracks it leaves.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sir,

If you are going to travel in ice & snow often you need to get an all wheel drive. You come to realize that most places we drive have some sort of road base.

You can choose to have a full electronic locker on the front and rear axles like I've used on conventional solid axle off road vehicles like my jeeps or trucks but they would never get me to the same hike, hunting, or ski-slope locations a damn suburu or (new type) Landrover would do.

I now own a Land Rover for such purpose and it has no equal. Older Land Rovers have solid axles and they suck too.

Eventhough I had fully locked and cocked vehicles, the detroit trutrac is a better option for road use. I had these front and rear on some four wheel drives and the did pretty darn good and you can learn to manipulate their traction using the emergency brake trick that works small miracles.

You have to remember unless the solid axle 4x4 vehicle comes from the factory with lockers like some toyotas, its only a two wheel drive. One front, one rear.

Tires are a waste of money you soon learn when you slide off the road in your locked jeep with studded mud tires while a subaru drives right on by. All wheel drive.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...tiveAftermarket/Differentials/PCT_221471

Let me leave you with this. Ice is a liability with any traction system and the lability increases with speed and gravity.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 01/15/13.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Sir,

If you are going to travel in ice & snow often you need to get an all wheel drive. You come to realize that most places we drive have some sort of road base.

You can choose to have a full electronic locker on the front and rear axles like I've used on conventional solid axle off road vehicles like my jeeps or trucks but they would never get me to the same hike, hunting, or ski-slope locations a damn suburu or (new type) Landrover would do.

I now own a Land Rover for such purpose and it has no equal. Older Land Rovers have solid axles and they suck too.

Eventhough I had fully locked and cocked vehicles, the detroit trutrac is a better option for road use. I had these front and rear on some four wheel drives and the did pretty darn good and you can learn to manipulate their traction using the emergency brake trick that works small miracles.

You have to remember unless the solid axle 4x4 vehicle comes from the factory with lockers like some toyotas, its only a two wheel drive. One front, one rear.Tires are a waste of money you soon learn when you slide off the road in your locked jeep with studded mud tires while a subaru drives right on by. All wheel drive.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...tiveAftermarket/Differentials/PCT_221471

Let me leave you with this. Ice is a liability with any traction system and the lability increases with speed and gravity.

And at one model of truck from Dodge. grin

MAGA
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
159 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 13 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.