Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Wow, that was a bit of a shock. The state of Alaska just lost a real good guide in Jake Jefferson.

+1.

Just saw that too, I stand corrected.

Too bad, he's a heck of a good guy.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by richardca99
I'd like to start planning a Kodiak bear hunt. While I have lots of hunting experience, I haven't hunted bears, and I haven't been to Kodiak.

What's the best way to start this odyssey? How difficult is it to draw a nonresident tag for Kodiak? Are these typically 7-10 day hunts, are do you hike in or float plane, etc?

Thank you.

For you non-residents? Piece of cake. 100% guaranteed. Unlike we residents who would have to wait for hell to freeze over first. Ya better have deep pockets tho.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 01/16/13.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yep, hoping I'm one of the lucky residents this year to get a brownie tag for Kodiak...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks
I'd like to start planning a Kodiak bear hunt. While I have lots of hunting experience, I haven't hunted bears, and I haven't been to Kodiak.

What's the best way to start this odyssey? How difficult is it to draw a nonresident tag for Kodiak? Are these typically 7-10 day hunts, are do you hike in or float plane, etc?

Thank you.

For you non-residents? Piece of cake. 100% guaranteed. Unlike we residents who would have to wait for hell to freeze over first. Ya better have deep pockets tho.
Bear in Fairbanks

Although, I'm a non-resident and reaped the benefits of the current regulations, I don't understand the screwing of the AK residents in regard to the Kodiak tags.

I'd be pizzed if I was an AK resident with how they handle it.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by tnscouter
Two guides that I know personally are Jake Jefferson and Jim Bailey. I hunted with them around 12 years ago when Jake was working for Jim. Both are class acts and great guides. Jim Bailey is one of the last real old timers out there and he adds so much to the trip with his experience and stories. That year I passed on many bears looking for just the right size without rubs and my brother shot a 10+ the next to last day of the trip. One suggestion. Be in great shape because it will really impact your hunting and disposition.

Thats some solid advise, on Kodiak, not one footstep is on flat, dry or hard ground. I did Deadmans bay in 98. Don't under estimate the difficulty of this one.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

Thank you.

Bear in Fairbanks

Although, I'm a non-resident and reaped the benefits of the current regulations, I don't understand the screwing of the AK residents in regard to the Kodiak tags.

I'd be pizzed if I was an AK resident with how they handle it.

Simple, as far as I'm concerned. A non-resident is required to have a guide. Guides are allocated a certain number of tags in their unit. Therefore, if you book with a guide, you're guarenteed a tag. A resident has an extremely small chance of drawing. Different areas are alloted different numbers of tags depending on how Fish & Feathers think the resource can handle the pressure. Therefore, the chances of a resident getting a tag are something like 4% or perhaps less. Why should a resident have a 4% chance and a non-resident a 100% chance? Just me bitchin'.
Bear in Fairbanks

And finally,

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Are the tags earmarked to non-residents? Or could you just pony up and pay a guide and have a guaranteed tag?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have to apply through a guide as a non-resident/non-resident alien.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cash burning a hole in your pocket?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
When I hunted with Jake he said I had about a 30% chance of drawing. He didnt have an exclusive area where my chance would have been 100%. So I guess a non res odds depend on the area and outfitter on Kodiak.
Jake will be missed. I would have liked to went with him again some day. Was lucky to have take a nice bear with him. His number 100 as seen on the alaska outdoor thread. Dean

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
]

Bear in Fairbanks

I put in 3 tags a year for 10 years and never drew. I didnt just put in for the coveted tags on the west end either, I always put in for at least 1 higher odds area (if you wanna call it higher odds as those odds still sucked). That system is completely [bleep] regarding the Kodiak bears, its strictly about money!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
]

Bear in Fairbanks

I put in 3 tags a year for 10 years and never drew. I didnt just put in for the coveted tags on the west end either, I always put in for at least 1 higher odds area (if you wanna call it higher odds as those odds still sucked). That system is completely [bleep] regarding the Kodiak bears, its strictly about money!

AC: Nice to hear form ya. hope yer doin' well.
Your comments are spot on.
B.I.F.

And finally,

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Others might have better insight, but why not consider the Alaskan Penninsula as a possible location?

Good luck,

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer the Peninsula to Kodiak hands down!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But if you lived on Kodiak, would you?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by waterrat
I prefer the Peninsula to Kodiak hands down!

Prob not! But I was just trying to give the OP some other ideas.

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
But if you lived on Kodiak, would you?

Probably not,Kodiak is special and I love it there too.

I packed a 10'er on Kodiak for 7 miles once and on the Peninsula it would've only had to get to the closest place to get a Supercub into. I've found the weather equally hideous at both!! A pic of a Brown Bear from each location, [Linked Image][Linked Image]

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bear #1 just in the Spa, is he? Having his nails done?

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Are the bears on the peninsula as big as those on Kodiak? Is it significantly cheaper to hunt the peninsula?

Chris
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes and not really...in that order.

bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.