Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Where is the best place to get true dealer costs on a new Toyota?

I've found a bunch of sites via google, but leery of giving a phone number (and they won't accept a generic one, I tried).

Looking to get a price to negotiate from, but not wanting hounded by dealers (the reason I'm trying to do as much as possible via internet).

Thanks!

GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried that a few years ago when my wife was looking for a new car. I got the info from Consumer Reports...I went in all cocky with my paperwork on the dealer price, incentives etc. They laughed me out the door. Long story short, shop around for the best deal

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
FWIW-my insurance agent would always tell me he had access to that kind of information. But I agree with above-shopping around is probably best.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a friend that emails several dealers with exactly what he is looking for and gives them a date he will buy on. He tells them that he will buy from whoever offers him the best price. Never goes into the dealership until he is ready to write the check.

Seems to work for him.
Good luck

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by willhunt4
I have a friend that emails several dealers with exactly what he is looking for and gives them a date he will buy on. He tells them that he will buy from whoever offers him the best price. Never goes into the dealership until he is ready to write the check.

Seems to work for him.
Good luck

This is the best way to do it, IMO. Given all the mfgr kickbacks & sales incentive programs, it's nearly impossible to know what a dealer's "actual" cost is on any given car. The best you can do is to get the lowest price possible at the time you're looking to buy.

fightingchance.com will lay it all out for you. You can buy their package for all the latest pricing/inventory/market conditions numbers on the model(s) you're looking at. If you're interested, PM me and I'll email you their strategies/tactics to get the bidding process going in your favor.

FWIW, I used them 2 years ago to save $1,000 on a Corolla vs. the local dealers.

Good Luck,

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 01/14/13.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
edmunds.com is pretty good for giving you the basic info on the costs.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Thanks for the tips guys.

I ended up doing a little combination of some of the above advice, and settled on a truck at a local dealer. smile

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have use the Consumer Report info three times. I don't flash it in fornt of the sales person,but I know what the dollar figures are be fore I go in. Then shop for the best bargain.Just shopping for the best bargain is not a big benift

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some dealers have a national presence and sell vehicles by volume. Know what price they sell for like the Smith Ford?Dealership in Kellogg, ID.

Armed with this info I walked into my local Ford dealership and found a truck I was interested in. I offered $500 under the dealer invoice. The salelman left for awhile, came back and said we have a deal. That was it.

This was a Ford diesel that was the equivalent of a 2012 today. I like to shop in winter especially on days when it is snowing. I still have the truck a 2002 and last of the 7.3 l engines.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a bit of work and a full days time, but it has saved me money. Say you are looking for a Ford, Go to all the local dealers' lots until you find the exact vehicle you want, say an F150. Sit down with the sales person from THAT Ford dealership. Once you get a bottom line price, tell them you will get back to them, that you want to shop around. Get the VIN # from that vehicle, it's on the window sticker. Take the VIN # to the other Ford dealers and tell them this is the vehicle you want. you will not spend as much time at the other dealers If the first dealer has your payment at $400. Hand him the VIN # and Tell this dealer you want this vehicle and you want it for $390, you have to be aggressive. If you get them down to anything below $400 you saved, now move to the next dealer and do the same. After you get the lowest price from the other ford dealers, go back to the first one and have him beat that price. They usually do, if not, go back to the lowest one. They will get your truck by trading one of their vehicles. If you get you original montly payment down $20 bucks a month, that's $1200 over 5 years. If you only have 1 dealer in your area, you're screwed. cry If you are trading, know what you vehicle is worth and what you want for it. Good Luck!

PS, I pick up my new F150 tomorrow grin

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by flyphishr
They will get your truck by trading one of their vehicles.

PS, I pick up my new F150 tomorrow grin

I didn't do quite what you suggested in the beginning of your post, but did end up with a "traded" vehicle.

Found my numbers, decided what my bottom line would be, made a few calls and emails, "negotiated" with a couple on the phone, with limited time to play ("Put me on hold while you go 'talk to your manager', and you'll come back to a dead line..."), then made one last call to the local guy, and told him who had beat him and by how much.

Within 10 minutes, he found the vehicle I wanted at a dealership about 1 1/2 hours away, beat the "other" best deal by a few hundred bucks, had the vehicle swapped and delivered to his dealership, and the deal was done.

It came home an hour ago. cool

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm glad it worked out for you. I never tried the phone way, I like to do things face to face. Sounds like it saved you time and gas. I might have to try it that way next time.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Pics man, pics...

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Basic gray Tacoma, nothing real exciting.

You know me Chris, a truck is a tool. laugh

I'll try to get a few shots of it out in the woods though soon.... cool

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yeah, the basic grey Tacoma seems to be a theme with you... wink

I wish my DD could be a truck... I cover too many miles with no real need for the truck, so I burn the road with the Honda and use the Jeep on the weekends.

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
I remember coming through the gate one day, a day after I loaned my truck to a friend who needed to haul something then washed it before returning it.

Kirk was on the gate and checked my ID. Said I had to be an imposter, cause he never saw me in a blue truck, only a dusty dirty mud and road grime colored truck! Said he didn't know there was actually paint underneath it! blush

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Jamison
I wish my DD could be a truck... I cover too many miles with no real need for the truck, so I burn the road with the Honda and use the Jeep on the weekends.

And I'm the opposite. I wish I could use a gas-saving car as a daily driver, especially with today's gas prices, but living out where we do I just always need a truck. Heck, I'll need the 4WD to get out of our driveway some days!

Always hauling something, or hunting/fishing in places a car won't go.

Such is the life.... cool

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
use the phone call the dealer ask for fleet sales, they work differently than walking in being picked up by a salesman

know what you want , packages colors and such

let them know you are ready to buy today if they give you the "right" price

and always think one thing , they want to sell that vehicle worse than you want to buy it

they dont make money if it dont sell

i dont need a ultra mag, i know how to shoot my 30-06

having that obama sticker on your car might as well say " Yes i'm stupid "

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm lucky - fraternity brother owns a Toyota dealership. Has saved my family major $$...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I do not think you should EVER discuss the payment on a truck with a sales man. Always shop for the bottom line cash price out the door. Financing and payments should only be discussed after the cash price is agreed upon.

Man and man's best friend still looking at the green side of sod.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.