-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all for the help on the PMC brass. Now I need help with the rest of the components.

Loads are for a colt LE 6920. I have cci 450 mag primers. There was not much of a choice here as shelves are bare.

Bullets are even rarer, but I'll wait it out. These will be for hunting pigs mostly. Your suggestions?

Powder is still available. Your choices?

I guess while I have your attention, I have a leupold 3 X 9 sitting around that I'm thinking of adding. These eyes ain't what they used to be. Rings and mounts ??

Thanks gentlemen for your patience and guidence through this new endeavor for me.

BP...

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Tac or Varget or RL15

Some flavor of Barnes tsx or ttsx bullets. Weight is your choice. If not that partition, I think they are 60s? 63 sierra semi point worked well for us over the years on hogs and was reasonable.
Though I've shot a boat load with 75 bthps.

Rings and mounts are a personal thing... White Oak Riser for me and the right set of rings beyond that, typically medium of your brand. If not low.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Varget or Tac with the Nosler 60 gr Partition

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W748/BLC2/varget/Exterminator/Tac/benchmark.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FYI 748 is REALLY temp sensitive in our TX summers.... BTDT and seen some nasty pressures with it years ago in competitions... I would take that off my list first.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
FYI 748 is REALLY temp sensitive in our TX summers.... BTDT and seen some nasty pressures with it years ago in competitions... I would take that off my list first.

It gets hot in your part of Tx.?? wink

Thanks for the heads up. I have a few lbs. of varget and a good supply of R15. I'll start there.

BP...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a gun built with a J&T 1/7 CL upper. I've managed 0.6" @ 100yds with 60gr Horn. SP over 23.0gr of H335 in RP cases.

After shooting a couple hundred various FMJ (factory and handloads), I had been trying to come to terms with the fact that it was just gonna be a sprayer. The SPs made all the difference in the world!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you have magnum primers, you need to use the low end of the recommended loads. Mag primers give you about 200 fps faster. You don't want excessive pressure.

If you are just getting started. The Lyman Reloading Handbook is best for beginners. It lists various brands of powders and recommended minimum and maximum loads for various bullets. I have been reloading about 5 years and I still use it all the time.

Last edited by Dixie_Dude; 01/22/13.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
If you have magnum primers, you need to use the low end of the recommended loads. Mag primers give you about 200 fps faster. You don't want excessive pressure.

If you are just getting started. The Lyman Reloading Handbook is best for beginners. It lists various brands of powders and recommended minimum and maximum loads for various bullets. I have been reloading about 5 years and I still use it all the time.

I have never seen magnum primers give anywhere close to 200fps on any load. In fact, I see hardly any difference in most loads, none in many.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like H335 in 5.56

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude

I have never seen magnum primers give anywhere close to 200fps on any load. In fact, I see hardly any difference in most loads, none in many.
prezactly and in my 6.8 the opposite is true. I get 30 fps less with tbe mags both cci

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, it alwyas pays to pay attention as you work a load up, but in 223 I've used exclusively small rifle mags and top end competition loads, IE pretty much max loads....

What I have seen change with primers and same load a lot though, you can double or triple group sizes OR cut them in half.

Jeff

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW if anything other than head shooting the big ones, think about bullet strength....

Vs speed driven.. IE I'd driven a ballistic tip through the shields of a 300 pounder from a 7.62x39 before. But its going so slow it doesn't blow up...

TSX types can be your best friend, but typically from hogs expect not much blood trail... even my BT kill had very little but was easy to find anyway.

S
S
Originally Posted by martineta
I like H335 in 5.56

+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Yep, it alwyas pays to pay attention as you work a load up, but in 223 I've used exclusively small rifle mags and top end competition loads, IE pretty much max loads....

What I have seen change with primers and same load a lot though, you can double or triple group sizes OR cut them in half.

Jeff
I can agree that primers can make a big difference in all kinds of ways. I have (usually) found that the win primers are by far the hottest, fed 2nd, and cci coolest. I never used any rem or cheddite or wolf so can't say on those. Seems my most accurate and consistent loads come from the Federals, though. I know not scientific, but sometimes you just get a gut feeling and confidence from something and it is hard to change.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I killed a 220 pound sow with a 75 grain swift scirocco 2 over 23.5 grains of TAC, WW brass Fed 205 primers. Shot in the shoulder dropped on the spot about 30-40 yards I did not measure it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The scope is surely fine for the rifle, I know from personal experience that a good mount will hold zero even if the rifle is dropped on concrete. The larue lt104 is expensive but you will never regret your purchase.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Magnum primers are a good thing in AR rifles. The harder cups won't give you the worry of a slam fire like other primers can.

I get over 3100fps out of my 16" barrel when pushing a 60-65gr bullet when I use AA2230 and CCI450 primers.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW all we've run lately in the last 10 years or so is M41s. Not just because they are made for the AR, but because they are also very accurate in our loads.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,620
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.