Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How do you like it?
How does it compare to the Redding Competition seater?

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I use them. They load ammo just as straight as the Redding and they cost less.

Both of them beat the RCBS competition seater for cartridge straightness.

Last edited by mathman; 01/23/13.
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's what I was hoping to hear Mathman.

Thanks.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hate mine, it leaves a bad ring on the bullets. I think I sold it, gone to Redding only for rifles

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Got them for a few different calibers..Money well spent..

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both and prefer the Redding as it seems to seat a little straighter (based on two Reddings vs. 1 Forster). Lots of variables in play though...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have all Forster die sets now for the calibers they make. In 308 and 260 I had the Redding Competition set and sold them to buy Forster. Ammo's the same, but the Forster micrometer is resettable to zero and doesn't leave marks on VLD bullets like the Redding seater did. Forster is the same quality for less money than Redding.

If 2nd amendment rights can be subject to licensing and fees, how was the poll tax unconstitutional?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by nsaqam
How do you like it?

I have several Forster seater dies and several Redding competition seaters..............I will take a redding sizing die over any other or their body dies but for a seater Forster is the BEST !!!!!!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MikeS
I have both and prefer the Redding as it seems to seat a little straighter (based on two Reddings vs. 1 Forster). Lots of variables in play though...

What kind of run-out are you getting ??????? might be your sizing die not the seater.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd have to spin some to be sure, but it seems like it was .003 vs. .001-002 with the Reddings. Different brass, sizers and chambers could all have an impact on those results...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There are small differences in individual dimensions of everything but, on average, there's no difference in the performance of Forster and Redding seaters. Shouldn't be, Redding copied them. Those two are the ONLY threaded seaters with real 'straight line' features.

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for all the answers.

Unless someone has a .270 Winchester Forster Ultra to sell me I'll be ordering one soon.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by nsaqam
How do you like it?

I have one Redding Comp die, four Forster dies--both brands/types seat bullets equally straight.

Only one of my Forsters are the micrometer style adjustment, the others are the regular screw in Ultra dies.

I choose the Forsters because they are less expensive and seem to do just as well.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a Forster with the micrometer and really like it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The markings on the Forster are harder to read than the white marks on the Reddings. Important if you load many different bullet weights & or styles - you can note your setting and return to them quickly. Could not discern any difference in straightness of seating.

Had very bad experience with their Bench Rest 6.5 x 47 Lapua sizing dies though. Scratched the brass during sizing very badly. Went over to the Redding Type "S".

regards
JohnT

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The forster ultra seater die is great, but if you want to save a few $$$ their benchrest seater is the same exact thing except you don't get the micrometer top. Unless you're constantly fiddling with seating depth the micrometer really isn't needed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
The forster ultra seater die is great, but if you want to save a few $$$ their benchrest seater is the same exact thing except you don't get the micrometer top. Unless you're constantly fiddling with seating depth the micrometer really isn't needed.

The screw adjustment is called the Ultra Die, the micrometer is called the Micrometer Ultra die.

Casey

oops, I just looked at mine and the screw in is called the Bench Rest Die, the Micrometer is called the Ultra.

My bad.....

Last edited by alpinecrick; 01/24/13.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Id for the 338WM and 30-06

I like them a lot

But

Cannot compare them to the Redding Competition seater

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have both Redding and Forester. the Redding (might) be a little smoother but both load really straight ammo as checked on my NECO run out tool. The numbers on the Forester are a little easier to see. Flip a coin.

lefty

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Although RCBS' customer service can't be beat, I prefer Forster dies. I only load for a few chamberings but have several sets of Forsters and use their competition seater. I've tried RCBS, Redding (I think) and the witness marks on the Forsters are easier for me to see than any of the others.
The competition seaters load them streight as as any others as well.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (300jimmy, 41rem, 300_savage, 264mag, 14 invisible), 1,423 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,441
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.