-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Again, those "Magnum Velocities" were only available with factory proprietary powder HE-type loadings that can't be duplicated by the handloader...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They have never died, as they were stillborn from announcement.

If anything did steal their fleeting breath, it was the great sucking sound of the 300WSM train already headed down the tracks full-steam ahead.

If Ruger wants a winner, all they have to do is offer a 7-375.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Only a small percentage of american hunters reload today, not like 30 years ago times have changed

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When the RCM's were announced, Kimber listed them as available chamberings in the magazine ads. The ads listing the chamberings only lasted a month or so. The next issue of said magazines dropped them from the list. I wonder why that project was pulled? To my knowledge, none were produced.

I may try to dig up one of the ads tonight.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

Only a small percentage of american hunters reload today, not like 30 years ago times have changed

And HE loads are available in the 30-06, 308, etc... and the factory SAUM was already established doing a bit more than the 300 RCM.

Ruger got its back up over Jamison and launched their hair-brained RCM's.

But at least they had the sense to offer a 33...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by old_willys
Is Ruger killing the 300 & 338 RCM's?

To answer the original question:

No - the market is killing the 300 & 338 RCM's

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Ruger shoulda necked the 375 Ruger case down...they missed the boat...
yup....I was amazed when they walked away from a case they already had and bought out the RCMs

I suppose the short bolt throw was more important to them......did they ask any of us?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wasn't there some official buzz a couple years back about Ruger doing a 300 on the 375 case?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Brad

And HE loads are available in the 30-06, 308, etc... and the factory SAUM was already established doing a bit more than the 300 RCM.

Ruger got its back up over Jamison and launched their hair-brained RCM's.

But at least they had the sense to offer a 33...

I for one do not like short barrel on high intensity cartridges. On the other hand I do like a 20" barrel on a 7X57 since it is not normally loaded to 60,000PSI, factory loads are in the 40's making it a fun cartridge to shoot in a short barrel.

I have a 26" barrel on my 30-06 and I get 3020FPS with 59 grains of H-4350 and a 165 grain bullet. The M-70 holds 5 rounds in the factory magazine, try that with a short fat cartridge

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Brad

jwall, I understood... I wasn't responding to you, just using the quick reply feature.

Yes Brad, I too understood.

I AM agreeing w/you + qualifying the graphing offer to ANYONE.

PEACE bro.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

True or not is not why they are dropping them. Nasqam is correct people were not interested in a 20" barrel magnum. Lack of sales is the reason they are being dropped. Handgun loaders aren't even a drop in the bucket of the gun buying public, most handloaders are 59 years old or older.

You have probably written the epitaph of the new Guide Gun right there. A 20" stainless rifle with open sights, yeah, I can see it. That rifle chambered for the .300 Win Mag, .338 Win. Mag., the RCM's - can't really see that.

Perception is reality - certain chamberings may or may not live up to public perception, but perception is why folks spend their money. Not to disrupt this thread, but if Ruger chambers that Guide Gun for what folks "perceive" as good thumpers then it will sell, ugly brake and weird stock or not. .350 Rem. Mag (maybe), .308, maybe even a .325 WSM, those are things folks see (at least I see) as good matches in a shorter, handier type rifle. That, or they need to do some serious marketing to change public perception to sell these.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You hit the nail on the head "public perception"

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
30/30 the original 30 caliber Magnum 119 years ago and still going strong!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
By the way, when I had the 338 RCM, I had no loading data for it so I compared capacity to some Winchester 30/06 brass I had handy. It was exactly the same. Not in the same ballpark, not similar, it was the same. So I used 338/06 data and it worked out fine. Like all of the short magnums, these were a cartridge with no real purpose. Only Winchester was able to market successfully; possibly because they were first but mostly because they were better at slinging the bull.
I still want to see somebody resurrect the 30 Newton! GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1B
The wages of hype is an early death.

And they dropped an eminently useful .338 Federal to flog their .338 RCM too.

1B

To my mind that's the real shame of it. I'd have bought a 20 inch barreled 338 Fed in a heartbeat.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by greydog
By the way, when I had the 338 RCM, I had no loading data for it so I compared capacity to some Winchester 30/06 brass I had handy. It was exactly the same. Not in the same ballpark, not similar, it was the same. So I used 338/06 data and it worked out fine. Like all of the short magnums, these were a cartridge with no real purpose. Only Winchester was able to market successfully; possibly because they were first but mostly because they were better at slinging the bull.
I still want to see somebody resurrect the 30 Newton! GD

You obviously aren't an engineer with a pocket protector and undying faith in QL... grin

Nothing like actually doing a real-world comparison.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And or a blue flame special with a marketing MBA looking to keep employed via a company pushing a bunch of marketing coinage to keep some wet dream round afloat...

Course once the marketing coin stops then the sales mix of the round will drop to a point where it's no longer needed on the menu. Some of my old restaurant background coming here eh Mac... smile

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We all come up with excuses for additional firearms. Often we create elaborate justifications for new guns. My excuse for a rifle to fill a perceived gap was to build another short barreled 338-06 when I came across this 338RCM to be used as a "large game rifle". I had sold my previous 338-06 and I wanted another but decided to give the RCM a try. For shooting any big game rifle outside of the top five chamberings, unless you have deep pockets, I'm of the opinion one should reload, so having odd chambered guns like a 338-06 or a 338RCM doesn't bother me much. So I picked up enough ammo and reloading supplies to keep the RCM fed for many years to come. I liked my compact 338-06 a lot, but I love the short barrel RCM. Kinda like a marriage between a 338-06 and a 350RM. Right down my alley.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All of the below links are for loads chrono�d with a 20� barrel 338RCM. There is measured data within as such:

200grainers: handloads maxed out in the 2800 to 2850 range

225grainers: handloads maxed out in the 2650 to 2700fps range

250grainers: handloads maxed out in the 2500 to 2575fps range

http://www.realguns.com/archives/170.htm

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/338-rcm?page=1

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammunition/RS_0108_01/index1.html

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/hot-couple?page=3

http://www.loaddata.com/members/search_d...eloading%20Data

I personally was unable to reach the same performance level with my beloved short barrel 338-06 as can be reached with the short barrel 338RCM. You guys are undercutting the performance potential of the RCM, especially when talking about a 20-inch barrel. The RCM is very efficient from a short barrel. But, short barrel guns are not everyone's cup of tea.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The RCM's were turkeys from the beginning. Good riddance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
The RCMs were a marketing epic fail.

Browse "Cartridges of The World" for a plethora of failures over the years.

Our era isn't unique at all. whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 1,362 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,252
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.