24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If yall remember, I was fussing about the pigs messing up my deer hunting, way back around the first of October. Well, now that deer season is about over, I decided to try and get rid of some of them. I didnt mention it then, but the yotes have been getting bad in that area also.

I looked into getting a night scope, rifle, and supressor, but the cost and time involved didnt seem worth the effort. I also thought about traps, but was told that once you caught pigs in them, they werent effective. So, I kept looking for a solution and discovered snares. They are cheap, easily moved, and the people I talked to said they were the only way to go. I bought 2 dozen (cheaper to buy than I could build them) and away I went.

I'm no expert, and am having to learn as I go, but my plan is to bait a place with corn and try to keep the piggys coming in. The pigs usually dont stay in one place, but travel around eating what they can find. It seems they come thru about every 2 weeks and clean up all the mast, corn, etc.

I baited a place and waited 2 weeks for them to find the corn. When they found it, I rebaited and set out the snares on the trails and made me 5 trip/jump snares and place them in the feed. This took place last Saturday. I check them from a distance every day and this is want I found Tuesday.

77# guilt- caught in jump snare around body behind shoulders

[Linked Image]

Anyone thinking they arent strong, look at this 1/8" cable.

[Linked Image]

Found this yote in a snare on one of the trails

[Linked Image]

Got this 112# boar on a trail snare

[Linked Image]

Loaded up and coming out, BIL doing the driving

[Linked Image]

Just a few more pics of the days haul

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad339/Oldmanms2003/pigsandyote.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad339/Oldmanms2003/yote.jpg[/img]

I took some of the pig scraps, used it for bait, and set some snares just for yotes. Hopefully, I can catch some more.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice job! Glad I don't have to deal with hogs on my place....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks like they got snared and you got hooked. Good goin'! Don't forget the fox and bobcats.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
very nice.

Originally Posted by deflave
Get your dick out of that rooster and go to church.

Travis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a beautiful yote...alive...but even more beautiful dead.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice job but just a drop in the bucket I'm sure

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you keep from snaring deer? I snared in Alaska, but didn't have whitetails to contend with.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You got to be careful where you put the snare. I've got them in some thickets and always place them on the trails, making sure there is a limb no higher than about 24"-30" over them. If there isnt a limb that low over the trail, I will lean one up against the tree, the one the snare is anchored to, and have the snare under the limb. I'm not saying a deer will not go under a limb that low, but with most of the trails having a low 'ceiling' and/or a low limb to go under, the deer find it easier to walk around.

Where I feed the hogs with corn, I put a little diesel on the corn. Keeps the coons and deer away, but the hogs dont mind it. I also sour some of the corn and the deer dont seem to like it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
148 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 673, 18 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.