Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
http://www.amazon.com/Light-Fire-Sw...09&sr=8-4&keywords=light+my+fire

17 bucks for 12,000 strikes, which works out to .00142 cents per strike for a firesteel that works when wet and throws sparks at 5500F.

Get the orange one, easier to find when you set it down.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The ugly blue ones are pretty easy to pick up too.

Critical gear that small though, when I'm not using it, goes in a pocket or my HPG Kit Bag.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You can get the Swedish Firesteel rods only (no handles) from bensbackwoods.com if you wanted them more compact to hide/duct tape somewhere.

http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Categories?category=Fire%3AFerrocerium

Last edited by alukban; 01/29/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...or you can just make fire easy...no need to over think....just sayin'

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtmiller

Have you started a fire in November elk season on the West End of the Olympic Penninsula after a month of rain? laugh Easy is relative...

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What is the advantage of the 2.0?

Is it just the increase in the number of "cycles" available?

Is it a bigger, more skookum unit?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Okanagan

Have you started a fire in November elk season on the West End of the Olympic Penninsula after a month of rain? laugh Easy is relative...

Exactly

To give you an example. We take a yearly trip to St Regis MT and go rafting. It is so dry there, all you need to start a fire is a handful of twigs from any tree in reach and one match. I dare you to try that in North Idaho or Western Washington.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunter_241
Originally Posted by Okanagan

So what is your secret to getting fire in those conditions. I know what I would use, but apparently you have a better solution? Please share.

Exactly

To give you an example. We take a yearly trip to St Regis MT and go rafting. It is so dry there, all you need to start a fire is a handful of twigs from any tree in reach and one match. I dare you to try that in North Idaho or Western Washington.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oops, I read back and see you throw sparks and blow on a whistle. My bad.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK. While in the big city yesterday, I went to REI. You bastids talked me into a V2.0.

Thanks, I guess. <grins>

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
REI really does have a 20 dollar cover charge smile

Just for [bleep] and giggles, here is pretty much my Fireworks, V8.7.
[Linked Image]

I've always had an axe or hatchet on me in the backcountry, that's not really Fireworks, but it's in the same "possibles" category, as is a knife. The Fireknife was gift from a good friend, and now that it's chopped up a couple deer and proven itself worthy, it now lives in my HPG kit bag. So does that little 1 Oz Nalgene bottle full of Coughlans fire paste. EdT was spot on in his review of the Fireknife (It's lightweight, useful, and cheap enough that if you abuse it to death you aren't going to cry) I know for a fact that I can use those two to make an emergency stick fire next to any creek or river in Montana should that be all I have on me.

The rest... a Bic, 2.0 Firesteel, damp proof MRE matches, Fatwood and Birchbark all ride in a Zip-loc freezer bag in my possibles bag. With what I have there, and my brain, I can make fire anywhere, anytime, and for a couple months if I wanted too. Weight on the whole deal??? I don't give a [bleep], it's worth it to not be a statistic.

Birchbark is one of my favorites to pick up along the way in my AO. When you can find it dried and peeling off the tree, it's as good as napalm. What you see in that pic, I tear into about 1/4" strips, then grind it up in my hands to make "sparkdust" A Firesteel will easily ignite it and it burns long enough to ignite kindling the size of half pencil size. The Fatwood is new to me, but I'm wondering why I didn't play with it sooner. Shavings I get with my Fireknife I can ignite with my 2.0 Firesteel, but not the Fireknife. I plan on trying to make some sparkdust with Fatwood shavings that have been through a rock mortar and pestle and see how that catches spark.

Anyhow.... That's what works for this backwoods hillbilly.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, I'd love to see more pics like mine on this thread....

This thread is why I decided to try out Fatwood. Glad I did too.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Book matches?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I know it's not cool, but is anything going to beat some Fire Ribbon and a working Bic to start a fire? Keeping it going is going to take dry fuel any way you cut it.

A friend of mine, prone to excess and tolerant of heavy packs, takes a road flare and swears it once saved his life.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I prefer piezo lighters. Trying to spin the bic's wheel and hold the gas pedal with cold fingers is too hard to do.

The piezos can usually be found at tobacco shops.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Book matches?

I know.... There's a reason for that. On the inside of the cover is my quad tool for a 1:37,500 topo map. Plus, it can make fire smile

I'm Irish...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
quad tool?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But guess what I did find today (instead of shed Mule Deer antlers)?????

My favorite laugh
[Linked Image]
Then you peel it, smash it up in your hands, wad it up....
[Linked Image]
Then nuke it
[Linked Image]
and violah....
[Linked Image]

There were plenty of dead standing lodgpoles around, I know that with what I had on me, I could've built a bon-fire if I wanted too. Mostly, I was just practicing being a hillbilly before I came home and made steak fajitas.

I just got lucky on capturing those images. I stuck my Cannon in the snow, on a 5 second delay, and then shoot 10 pics at one second intervals

Today, I couldn't believe how much more horsepower the V2.0 has over the earlier Firesteels. Just dinking with it today, I couldn't believe what you can get away with lighting in the way of tinder.....

I'm Irish...

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
There's no 'h'in 'voila'....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Great pics! Birchbark is wonderful stuff and the paper kind peeled out like you found is the best. Birch was common where I used to live in the Interior of BC. I am pleasantly surprised that you could light it directly with the fire steel. Y'all are convincing me to go back and buy a V2.0 laugh

Here's a pic of a grandson roasting a hot dog for lunch on a minimal fire in late November along a coastal river. We were meandering back roads, looking at spawning salmon, practicing fire building, etc. It had been raining or snowing and melting for three weeks, with some soggy snow still around and was raining at the time. The driest squaw wood we could find is propped up almost over the small flame drying. We used more fatwood than usual to get something going, and split up larger dead wood with an axe to get past sodden wood to merely damp stuff. The creek behind him is full of spawning coho and chum.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Okanagan; 02/03/13.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.