Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I agree with most of the comments here. I've owned a bunch of both Pre-64s and Classics.

Among problems that I've found with the Classics are: safety lever breaking off during the first trip to the range, egg-shaped chamber on a .375 H&H that had to go back to USRAC for barrel replacement, and a stock with a large raised surface near the trigger guard and a finish that looked like a fudgesickle. USRAC, to their credit, was very good about fixing these problems.

I also recently bought a USRAC-produced Model 70 Classic stainless synthetic in .270 WSM and the bolt handle came off after bopping it once with a small plastic mallet, due to a stuck case. Those bolt handles were supposed to be both interlocked and brazed. This one definitely had the interlocking splines but not a sign of brazing. I took it to a welding shop and had it TIG'd in place.

The MIM extractors can be replaced with a Williams extractor.

I like the solid bolt handles of the Pre-64s but I wish Winchester had gone to one-piece bottom metal in them.

I still hunt with both but prefer the Pre-64s.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Yeah, I agree with ya on those WSMs - that series of cartridges shoulda never left the drawing board IMVHO.. smile

I do not want to hijack but what are the issues with the WSM's in your opinion. I am new to them and curious. I have a new SC Extreme weather. In 270WSM

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
the Classic suffered from pretty indifferent assembly and QC;I have become fatigued at times dealing with things like egged chambers,barrels screwed on crooked,have seen one barrel with a section of rifling missing,sloppy bolt fit,lousy bedding,cartridges jumping from the magazine before their time,sloppy trigger fit,extractors that dropped cartridges, etc etc etc.

Jeez Bob, the only thing a 700 needs to be field ready is a trigger adjustment and maybe a drop of locktite on the bolt handle........... grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used both a 270 wsm and 300 wsm since 2004 pretty extensively with never a single issue of any kind. I have stacked up a nice pile of beast from that 300wsm.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Southwind: Some WSM's behaved,no doubt...a couple I had,you could not rechamber fired brass...badly swollen cases from factory ammo.They fed passably OK but with one, cartridges would randomly jump the rails during rapid fire.I think it was te magazine box not being wide enough to hold cases,and you would cycle the bolt,and the next cartridge would jump onto the rails....jam.I'm sure there was a solution but it was annoying.

This was an early production 300 WSM.

OTOH a South Carolina rifle in 300 WSM behaved perfectly.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/30/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by southwind
Well, this can go a lot of different directions and open even more questions for you. No functionally there isn't much difference.

Depending on what you are after there may not be much difference in price. I own both and love my pre 64's for what they are and the same for my new haven crf models. If you want a stainless then New Haven no question but as you look at caliber selection, rifle configuration, purpose etc. etc. you may be able to develop a better path of what my suit you best.

For me it's easy, you just buy em all.

By God, I really, really, like your attitude!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 62 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.