Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Amax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I posted pics of my first 5 shot group a couple of days ago. Here is a 10 shot group I shot this afternoon at 100 yards. Savage model 10 with a 26 inch self installed Eabco barrel and factory loaded Nosler custom competition 168 gr ammo in a 308 win. I definitely think its gonna be a shooter.

Attached Images
ten shot group.jpg (3.89 KB, 870 downloads)
GB1

A
Amax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
pic posted sideways the group is longer horizontal than vertical. Sorry about that.

If I give an opinion on it, I have used or owned it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Looks to be about 3/4"

Now you've got to stretch her out to 600 yards. smile

A
Amax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I will be shooting 600 steel this weekend and 1000 with 175 grain Bergers. This is my second eabco 250.00 barrel and both shoot like this.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
How fast are you pushing the Bergers?

IC B2

A
Amax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I was pushing them almost 2500 in my 22 inch barrel. I haven't chrono'd them in the new 26 inch barrel yet. Don't quote me, as I don't have my data in front of me, but I believe I was using around 44 gr Varget in Lapua cases. They were shooting around 3/4 inch in factory Savage barrel.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
good for a non lapped barrel, congratulations

A
Amax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Heck I thought it would be a good group from one of my Kreigers or Shilens too.
I can shoot 50 rounds through my 243 barrel and clean it with 6 patches.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cool cool

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
50 rounds and clean in 6? Lapped and treated barrels I can shoot a couple hundred rounds and clean with about as many usually.

Thats still not bad.

Any clue what barrel brand? Bennet and something maybe?

I never have your luck though. So congrats. I've bought cheap into about 3 douglas barrels over the years... every one sucked.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

A
Amax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Hi Jeff

My competition barrels do the same, but I haven't shot the eabco Barrels over 50 rounds without cleaning yet, but as easy
As they are breaking in and shooting I'm thinking I have
Been lucky. I will probably buy them until I run into a
Bad one or 2. They definitely shoot good enough for
Practice, as I won't practice with an inaccurate barrel,
because that just defeats the purpose. I was just tickled
that I actually got 2 250.00 barrels that will shoot sub
half moa 5 shot groups.
When was the the last time you shot high power? I'm about
to start back, and I would like to run into you and
introduce myself.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
2004 unfortunately. And it doens't look like I"m close to starting again. If I do, it will probably be AR service rifle 1000 yards only because I have a desire to dink a 200 score there before I die.

But I'm still a few years from having the time available to try it again.

BUT if you ever travel over to TX for a regional match or such, PM me, I attend some at times as range officer or such to help when I have spare time.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Amax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
They still having the regional at deadwood? I might try to shoot it this year. I still remember pulling your target there one year. You hit the spindle several times and blew it through the target, we had to repair the 600 yard target (replaced it I think) . I was an expert at the time and that made a big impression on me.

A
Amax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Jeff I forgot to answer a question. I believe Eabco used to buy blanks from Shaw, but supposedly he is making his own now. I have been unable to find the actual truth on this though. He doesn't lap them, but they have mirror smooth rifling and a top notch exterior finish.

Best

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I think they still have the regional. I get rusty not having shot now in about 8 years. But I think I see that flier.

That one is about 5-6 hours from us. Wouldn't mind making it for grins one day, but I do see those guys from time to time at State matches held closer to me.

Good to know on the accuracy and that they may do their own tubes now. I"ve often wondered about quality since I have an encore... and my MZ tube isn't the most accurate. And I'd like a 300 Whisper threaded too....

That match you scored me on, IIRC was where I took my "screen name" from... 495 without sighters match. It was a lucky day for me really. Gun didn't even have firm zeros and was 2nd time I'd ever shot it. But it did shoot pretty good.

Jeff

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW who did you come to Deadwood with? Michael Carter by chance? I have not seen him in many many years.

A
Amax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
No we came to a regional championship one March. It was a group of us from Mississippi. You were there with your wife who I thought was very cute by the way. smile Michael Carter actually won that match. It was an awesome place to shoot. I remember scoring a 10 with my first spotter with no windage on my rifle at all on the rifle. It was like shooting in a tunnel.
Hopefully I didn't stare at your wife and make you mad.

Best

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hey, all is good with the wife issue. She'll be tickled to hear that!

Was not the leg match then evidently.

Carthage can be a real wind tunnel. But they opened the back side of the range years ago IIRC, and it changed it some. Actually IIRC made it kinda really tricky as I hate reading twitchy wind blowing up my backside.

Pretty rare to shoot a no wind zero and be centered ain't it?

And that coming from us having shot San Antonio a lot prior, and I recall a match at 1000 once... 10-12 minutes on the gun, for a center shot, and a switch... and ended up with about the same the OTHER way for another center shot by pure blind SWAG luck correction....

Only other thing I ever ran into weird at Deadwood was lighting... it was a tunnel RE light and that and Lake Jackson my zeros were always off by at least a minute.

Best, Jeff

A
Amax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Yep partly cloudy skies blew one of my chances at a clean at 600 there. I was paying attention to it and kept having a few elevation issues throw me into the nine ring suddenly.
I had 14 x count that day though IIRC and 1 10 ring and 5 in the nine at 6 o'clock. I didn't have a clue why until I finished and the high master scoring me told me why. Got to love it!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Light affects some and not others.

For me it was even to the point on some ranges I could shoot right through a change, noticeably on open ranges like Perry. But on closed ranges like Deadwood, it sure could throw me for a loop.

Finally I got to the point where I could shoot half azz decently and even though it could throw elevations shots they would generally stay barely in the 10 ring if I was good on wind.

Always said that a 10 at 600 is a warning to get your head out of your....

Of course if it was easy everyone would do it.

A coach there once... on a practice day screwed my clean... 17xs deep at 600 he reminded me not to [bleep] up. His exact words. a wobbly 10... and a wild 9 and then whatever else... 199 and probably 17.... there are all kinds of variables. He made me a MUCH better shooter that day though. Much as I hated him at the time.

Again PM or contact me if you are ever headed that way. Who knows, maybe i'll have or make time.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,479
Posts18,451,860
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.