Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi there.

If you were shooting up to 400 yards and had to choose one of the bullet weights above, what would it be. Animals ranging from Impala to Eland. Does the 250s have too much drop? I am thinking of using either TSX 250s or Partitions 250s. My rifle performs quite well with TSX 225s but I am itching to try 250s and would like to know what the pros and cons really are. I guess one can simply check a ballistics chart but I prefer getting first hand info from you guys.

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 02/04/13.
BP-B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Download JBM free ballistics calc and go from there by entering bc ,mv and elevation.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I prefer 225 NAB at .550bc. I'd rather run 210ttsx or 210 Partitions rather than 250's.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I used 210 gr Barnes TSX in my .338 Win Mag for my African plains game adventure and they worked very well.

Check the charts and use whatever you feel comfortable with. Everything mentioned will kill plains game.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
With the honest comment here that I am NOT a "long range" hunter-shooter, due entirely to the lack of a suitable range to develop and practice the skills needed for this, I do have extensive experience with the .338WM, my favourite round for decades.

I have shot, loaded for and hunted with this outstanding round for 45 years, owned about a dozen .338 rifles and used several others, it is just an outstanding round for BC hunting, IMHO.

I started with 225 gr. bullets, Hornadys, then used various 200s, the excellent 210 NP and tended to avoid the 250s for some years. But, when I decided to try the 250 NP, I was "done" and I have kept to the 250s. almost exclusively, since 1982-83.

I use NPs for hunting, Hornady SPs are great for deer and broadside hits on larger cervids and I like to load and shoot SGKs for practice, as they are so easy to load and so accurate.

I also do not see any actual benefit to the slightly higher velocity of 225 over 250 gr. bullets and tend to prefer using heavier bullets in this as in most of my hunting cartridges as I hunt where Grizzlies are numerous and encounters are increasing. The penetration issue is also a factor as we are largely restricted to taking only 6 pt. elk and the shots are often in heavy cover, where driving the bullet as "Elmer" used to tell of is the only available shot.

YMMV, and 250s DO "kick" more, but, I prefer them and am content with my trajectory of 2" hihg at 100, on at 200 and 2 feet low at 400...seems to work for me and many guys I know here.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can think of no reason to use a 250 TSX over the 225 in the 338 Win mag. Even with the 225, you won't be getting too much speed for consistent and reliable expansion out yonder. The 250 Partition is a good one however.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing wrong with the 250's but I've used the 225 Hornadies and partitions pretty much since I've had my .338's and I've never needed or wanted more performance. When I went to Africa, I used A-frames in the same weight and everything went down like it was hit with lightning.
I did bring a few partitions on that trip just for insurance in case I ran out of ammo, but didn't need it in the end.

The best part is all of these 225's shoot to the same point of aim so I can practice with the cheaper Hornadies and hunt with the Partitions or A-frames.

I've shot Elk out to 600+ yards with the 225's and never really needed more power. They just plain work, which is why I will probably always have a 338 around.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pieter-honestly I'd find a bullet that your rig liked and go from there. 400 yds isn't very darn far and it's awfully tough to find a bullet that wouldn't do well for you. I've not hunted the animals you mention but have a good deal of elk experience with the 338/06, 338 WM, 338 WSM and the .340 and and I'd just find a bullet your gun likes that you can buy when you want and go from there.

IMO either the 225 Noz Pt or 250 NPT would be incredibly hard to beat.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys.

Great info. The reason why I am saying 400 yards is that I am using the rifle for walk and stalk hunting and we do hunt places like Namibia where you have open spaces that offer longer shots. I know I could have posted the question in the hunting rifle section but I thought that I will get a clear answer here. I want to avoid shots past 400 yards as the only rest I will use would probably be a tree. I just do not want to limit the rifles' capabilities.

Pieter

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Mark, makes a lot of sense here and I would bet that probably 70%, or more, of the serious users of .338" bore cartridges in B.C., where you do have a lot of "big" game and many Grizzlies, use either or both of these two bullets as their "go-to" hunting choice.

Me, I consider the .338WM, to be so close to "perfect" for all B.C. hunting that I often wish I had the will power to sell all of the other rifles I own (far too many!) and just use it exclusively. The .340 Roy is also a helluva round, but, for ME, it "kicks" much worse than any .338WM and the two .340s I have shot seemed to boot me worse than any of my .375 H&Hs did/do.

So, given that these two bullets are also outstanding in close range uses, I think that Dober's point is "right on, man".... smile

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m77
Thanks guys.

Great info. The reason why I am saying 400 yards is that I am using the rifle for walk and stalk hunting and we do hunt places like Namibia where you have open spaces that offer longer shots. I know I could have posted the question in the hunting rifle section but I thought that I will get a clear answer here. I want to avoid shots past 400 yards as the only rest I will use would probably be a tree. I just do not want to limit the rifles' capabilities.

Pieter

Pieter,
Give some thought to putting a Harris 25C bipod on your rifle or practice using shooting sticks. I use a bipod on my rifle on just about every hunt now just because it has come in handy so many times. After a while, I don't even notice the slight additional weight on the rifle when using it offhand for shorter shots and it only takes a couple seconds to fold it down and extend it for long shots sitting or kneeling.

In Africa, most PH's will carry shooting sticks for you to use on the longer range shots so practicing with them before hand might be a good idea.

Bob

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Small point:
The only reason there is a large range of bullet weights per caliber is that traditionally, the cup and core designs fell to pieces on impact. The idea was to retain bullet weight and increase or maintain penetration, because of this retained weight.

With modern technology, that old theory is as obsolete as the 300 grain factory load.

The modern bullets in the 200-225 grain weight range will outperform the older design 250's in most cases, Parition included and that, was always "the" bullet in .338 caliber.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I seriously doubt that ANY contemporary .338" bullet available to average shooters/handloaders will ...outperform... the 250 NP at a chronoed 2800 fps-mv.

Now, I will stress that I have no African experience, but, I have been "in on" about 200 kills of BC big game and I have driven these bullets completely through bull Elk and never have had one stay inside a deer.

The performance is SO consistently good, that it just can't really get any better and the lighter "monometals", etc. DO sometimes punch through and a lost and suffering animal is the result. So, each to his own, but, I see NO "better" bullet in .338" for BIG game as in 1800 lb. Moose, 850 lb. Elk, a very tough animal to drop and keep down and ANY Grizzly, as these are VERY dangerous critters that have and do kill even armed people here all too often.

Some guides I have spoken with are also fond of the 275-SAF, especially for packing meat, etc, out on hayburners, but, I honestly doubt that any REAL improvement exists. In fact, with the exception of the North Fork, which some here and elsewhere whose opinions I tend to trust have indicated IS a bit better on big stuff than the NPs, I seriously doubt that a moderately heavy for caliber NP driven at moderately high velocities in ANY realistic big game round CAN be bested; some [bleep] just works! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well I'll put this out there. I've always been a Nosler Partition fan. I've had great results from them on Elk, bears, etc..
However, the A Squares I used in Africa were at another level altogether. They shot as well as the NPT's and to same point of aim, penetrated better IMHO, and when the couple I was able to recover were found they had the absolutely classic mushroom and shape and retained almost all of their original weight.

If they weren't so darned expensive, I'd shoot them for everything that I use my .338's for.

Bob

U
UAE Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
For heavy game (Brown Bear, Moose, etc) I'm found on Barnes X 250 grains with a hot/tough load in 338 WM

if the 250 grains Partition is a very good bullet, I think the Barnes in this application/duty is even better. I don't like Barnes but for Real heavy game, it's really difficult to beat them (Brown Bear, Moose, Buffalo, etc)

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
My pick would be the 225..When I shot the 250's in my .338, the drop was pretty great compared to my other rifles...

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used the 225 Partition for eland, gemsbok, & kudu. All one shot kills. I'm sure the 250 Partition is also excellent, but I could not have asked for anything to work better than the 225 did. I have used the 225 out to 700yds and it works well.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
One of my old 4H shooters became a guide in AK... has had to stop everything under the sun with his 338 wm...

Also has shot through a 4 inch or so alder, through a BC Blackie, and through another tree never to find the bullet....

There is nothing better than the 225 barnes tsx/ttsx bullet in the 338 win mag that you can ever find for general purpose IMHO.

225 worked out from around 30 yards out to just over 800 in that gun. And stopped more than a few coastal browns for clients in bad situations.

I am a barnes slut though, but only because they have a good track record with me and have performed better consistently than any other bullet used, and that includes other premiums. At least for the results that I wanted.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Small point:
The only reason there is a large range of bullet weights per caliber is that traditionally, the cup and core designs fell to pieces on impact. The idea was to retain bullet weight and increase or maintain penetration, because of this retained weight.

With modern technology, that old theory is as obsolete as the 300 grain factory load.

The modern bullets in the 200-225 grain weight range will outperform the older design 250's in most cases, Parition included and that, was always "the" bullet in .338 caliber.

John

l can not agree more, the 210 to 225 TSX or TTSX is the best 338 win mag bullet going IME. I have seen the 225 TSX bullet out pentrate a 300 TBBC on a buffalo and drop the buff at instantly with a raking body shot. The internal damage looks like a blender went through the vitals

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a barnes slut though, but only because they have a good track record with me and have performed better consistently than any other bullet used, and that includes other premiums. At least for the results that I wanted.

Have you tried any of the http://gscustom.co.za/ bullets? The most devastating results and the best accuracy I experienced was with their HV bullets.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 219DW, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.