Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
7fa Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I know the "which caliber" topic has been beat to death, but would appreciate some opinions opinions on which makes the most sense for my 1st guided elk hunt this Fall. Guide says shots typically from 150-400 yds. I personally want to get as close as possible but know it's not always possible.

Win 70 in 270 Wby w/ 2.5x8 glass. Have hunted with it for years and trust it, but I'm on the fence if it's a bit light for Elk and if its enough magnification?

Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 375 H&H 1.75-6 glass. New to the stable and haven't hunted with it yet, but it shoots well and is lighter and more handy than the Bee. Being a Winchester man I realize the bolt handle may fall off during an Elk charge, but I'm willing to take the risk...

I'd like to use the 375 (since I bought it for possible heavy stuff) but the potential for a long range shot is making me think twice.

What do you think?

Last edited by 7fa; 02/08/13.
BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Use what you are most used to/comfortable with. You WILL get a bit "shaky" when you throw down on your first big bull Elk, no question, I STILL do!

A 150NP in your .270 Bee WILL rock his socks and the old "ouch and ouch" is NOT needed for any Elk I have ever seen in almost 50 years of watching them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
400 is do-able with a .375 and 6x... shoot it a bunch before the hunt and you're golden.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd grab the 270 Weatherby..it isn't lacking anything as an elk rifle and the scope is plenty.

Elk are pretty big even at 400 yards. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 7fa
I know the "which caliber" topic has been beat to death, but would appreciate some opinions opinions on which makes the most sense for my 1st guided elk hunt this Fall. Guide says shots typically from 150-400 yds. I personally want to get as close as possible but know it's not always possible.

Win 70 in 270 Wby w/ 2.5x8 glass. Have hunted with it for years and trust it, but I'm on the fence if it's a bit light for Elk and if its enough magnification?

Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 375 H&H 1.75-6 glass. New to the stable and haven't hunted with it yet, but it shoots well and is lighter and more handy than the Bee. Being a Winchester man I realize the bolt handle may fall off during an Elk charge, but I'm willing to take the risk...

I'd like to use the 375 (since I bought it for possible heavy stuff) but the potential for a long range shot is making me think twice.

What do you think?

That's a no brainer...Take both, so you'll have a spare just incase that bolt handle falls off.. grin whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I would go with the .270 Wth. with a good bullet loaded toward the top, you should be able to hold on the top of an elk's back and still drill him in the chest at 400 yards..A Nosler Partition is the answer to your bullet needs..the 7mm mag. is a very popular caliber in this area due to the chance for a longer poke..now worries about serious drop until you get well beyond 400 yd..As for killing and elk, my best pals son dropped one last Nov. at a lazered 604 yards, one shot, with a 7mm Mag. and 140 grain Balistic tip..He shoots often and knows his rifles..a .270 Wea. is not that different..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kutenay
Use what you are most used to/comfortable with. You WILL get a bit "shaky" when you throw down on your first big bull Elk, no question, I STILL do!

A 150NP in your .270 Bee WILL rock his socks and the old "ouch and ouch" is NOT needed for any Elk I have ever seen in almost 50 years of watching them.

^^^^^^^ this

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Either rig will do you well, take the one your the most comfy with. I like both rounds and both are plenty elk capable.

Put a 6x36 Leo w/dotz on that 375, run a 260 Accu or 250 Sierra and Powder River let er buck. Elk to 400 are easy with a set up as such.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Either rig will do you well, take the one your the most comfy with. I like both rounds and both are plenty elk capable.

Put a 6x36 Leo w/dotz on that 375, run a 260 Accu or 250 Sierra and Powder River let er buck. Elk to 400 are easy with a set up as such.

Dober

I concur and very good suggestions. One of my elk hunting buddies uses a 270 Wby and has killed plenty of elk with it. It's a fantastic elk cartridge, IMO. Frankly, I'd wouldn't give bringing either a second thought, but would lean towards the one I was most comfortable with and shot the best.

You probably already know this, but boot and clothing selection are a more important decision. Very few things wreck a hunt faster than ill-fitting boots. Good luck!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My choice would be the 270 Wby and it is more than capable of dropping any Elk . More Elk are lost by poor bullet placement than the round in the rifle you are using. Elk aren't that hard to kill if you shoot them were they live. The biggest mistake first time Elk hunters make is they shoot them to far behind the shoulder and either miss or just barely nick the lungs and they will get away from you in the Timber. Just remember to shoot center toward the front of the chest and they won't go far if they go anywhere .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 7fa

What do you think?
............Although both are do-able, I`d go with your 270 Bee as well. A 270 Wby certainly isn`t under-gunned for any elk. And your 2.5x8 glass is about right on the money too, especially if as you say, your guide says shots are typically 150-400 yards. Magnified to 8x, that scope would be good imo for elk out about 600-700 yards if necessary.

For a big moose or dangerous bear hunt at closer ranges maybe within less open country, then I`d be more inclined to opt and use a 375.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My vote goes for the 375 H+H. Ideal Elk cartridge.

Forget the past the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yep...take them both, then go with what your gut tells you when you head out in the field. I had a .375 H&H and a .270 Win. ready to go on my last bull hunt (too many years ago). I carried the .375 on the first day and passed on a spindly spike. On day two, my cousin talked me into carrying the .270 (that's all he carries). I jumped a decent 6x6 and the bullet sailed on through. That bull ran a long way, 380 of my brothers steps, but we recovered him down and out. My shot was up hill and I had a little window to shoot through. The bullet expanded ok because there was a big hole in the right rib cage. I didn't do a complete autopsy, but it seemed at the angle I took out the top of the animals right lung, and could very well have missed most if not all of the left lung. Either way, that animal had enough left to make it that long distance. And either way, he's on the wall.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Set yourself up an 8" paper plate. 100yds 50round of each cal,bench no countie! 50 and all from field holds. You soon shall see.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i've done that and i hunt with a .375 Ultra often as not. not because i don't think other cartridges won't work though.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
7fa Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the responses. Lots of good input to ponder.

Suggestions on bullet choices for each? I heard the Partition mentioned for the Wby?? My H&H came with several boxes of Federal 300gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, but they don't seem very popular.

Forgot to mention I can load my own.

Last edited by 7fa; 02/09/13.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
7fa if you handload for the 375,I'd put something together with the Barnes TTSX 250 gr.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
kawi, what is the point of that little exercise? fifty rounds of 375 will result I bet in bigger groups and a lot of that will be due to shooter fatigue. besides, who the hell shoots 50 rounds at an elk???

The way life should be.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by kawi
Set yourself up an 8" paper plate. 100yds 50round of each cal,bench no countie! 50 and all from field holds. You soon shall see.

And the answer will be whichever rifle he chose to shoot first...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 7fa
Thanks for all the responses. Lots of good input to ponder.

Suggestions on bullet choices for each? I heard the Partition mentioned for the Wby?? My H&H came with several boxes of Federal 300gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, but they don't seem very popular.

Forgot to mention I can load my own.

7fa - with Rl-15 and 260 gr Nosler Accubonds I put together a load that was very accurate and easy to shoot. "Borrowed" the load from John Barsness. Sighted it in at 200 yards, and practiced at 300 pretty regularly. No problem hitting the gong at 300, with that load.

When the bear stood up at a lasered 306 yards, again, no problem hitting. Excellent bullet performance too. Simply couldn't be happier with the combination. Haven't shot an elk with it yet, due to lack of opportunity. I imagine though that it would work out just fine.

Either rifle should do well - just giving some input on the 260 gr Accubond, which I consider a great game bullet. Enjoy your hunt!

Regards, Guy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.