Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I recently bought a used walnut rifle stock. The seller did not mention that the stock had bedding compound from a prior bedding job and my barreled action does not seem to fit. Am I screwed? How do you remove existing bedding compound? Your thoughts/comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by silver78; 02/09/13.
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dremel tool. A fine touch. And mucho patience.

You'll need to rebed to your action, more than likely.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No problem. Here is one of the few GOOD uses of The Dreaded Dremel in gunsmithing! smile

[Linked Image]

Just use a cutter and grind out a bit of the old bedding compound. Leave the surface really rough, and with lots of holes and crevices for the new bedding compound to adhere to.

Degrease. Degrease again.

Coat your action well with release agent or Johnson's Paste Wax (give it two coats to make sure you do not miss any spots).

Mix up some new bedding compound, and re-bed the stock to mate perfectly with YOUR action.

There are some good threads her and elsewhere on the internet search for "glas bedding". There is a bit more to it than my post, but not MUCH more -- it is pretty easy!

Best of luck,

John

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have never done it but a friend told me that5 he put his stock in the freezed for a couple daus - then took it out, put it on his bench top with one layer of a towel underneath, put a shrp chisel in the middle of the acra-glass and smacked the chisel with a hammer. He said tnhat the acra-glass cracked and after several more CAREFUL blows he pulled it all out.

GOOD LUCK!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Dremel tool is your friend, go slow and wear safety glasses. I'd be scared sh***tless to freeze and then chisel on a stock but that's just me. grin grin

Golden............
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Before you start put about 5 layers of masking tape on the outside. That dang dremmel tool can crawl right out where you don't wont it.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dremel tool is your best friend....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I had a friend do a not so good job on a bedding project with Brownell's Steel Bed. But he just sanded it out slowly by hand, then put the release agent on the action and re did it, he did not sand it back down to the wood. He just put some water based colored paste on the action first to see where the unwanted contact with the metal was. Then put a mark on the bedding material its self with a sharpie to see where to sand. Similar to what jpb suggest, with the small holes.

Just be careful, you'll be fine. I no longer have patients for bedding, I have only done it about a dozen times, but there will not be a 13th attempt. Patients went out the window when the kids got in to the late teen years.

What's up with that vegetarian stuff? Tofu makes horrible trophys!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SEdge
Before you start put about 5 layers of masking tape on the outside. That dang dremmel tool can crawl right out where you don't wont it.

Sounds like the voice of experience.... and good advice here.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O

+100... BTDT... If at all possible, mount the stock in a padded vice and use both hands to steady/control the dremel tool.

Last edited by Orion2000; 02/10/13.

IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a router attachment with the side guides to help limit my dremel infringement. Minor adjustments to the depth and side guides and go slow.

It's worth the extra time knowing I'm limiting a dremel misadventure.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I wish I had read this before the first time I took a dremel to a stock!!!

TANSTAAFL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,127
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.